Who should return punts if Thigpen is cut/with Leo out?

YoloinOhio

Punt Returns  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who should return punts?

• Robert Woods
    • Percy Harvin
    • Fred Jackson
    • Sammy Watkins
    • Other
    • Karlos Williams

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they act like using Harvin as much as possible is a bad thing and i really don't understand why. they keep saying they want to show people he's a WR and not a gimmick player. well, he's good at the gimmick stuff too and he's a great returner. so why not use him as much as possible? it's like they are saving him for WR and that's it. we have him on a 1 yr lease so why not use him as much as we can and get our money's worth?

Harvin makes $6mil....he has to be great at all that stuff to justify that much money. If he can't do it...injury or whatever....cut him loose.

Not sure why Woods over Harvin...

probably because Harvin has never returned punts in college or NFL and is the primary kickoff returner, and Woods has a ton of experience returning punts in college and some in the NFL.

Harvin makes $6mil....he has to be great at all that stuff to justify that much money. If he can't do it...injury or whatever....cut him loose.

i don't think they signed him to return punts. He's never done that. He's practiced at it but they are paying him to play WR and return kickoffs. Edited by YoloinOhio

probably because Harvin has never returned punts in college or NFL and is the primary kickoff returner, and Woods has a ton of experience returning punts in college and some in the NFL.

i don't think they signed him to return punts. He's never done that. He's practiced at it but they are paying him to play WR and return kickoffs.

bingo.

also, spreads some of those risky touches around instead of all on one important guy. im assuming they want the ball in harvins hands 100+ times this year on offense.

Edited by NoSaint

A few things to note, and I had to double-check the numbers I collected earlier... It seems our NFL experienced returners (Leo, Thig, Fred) all seem to have a high percentage of fair catch (around 50 percent) and about 10 yards per average (both around NFL average). Woods has a fairly low percentage of fair catches (16 percent) and only about 5 yards per return.

Unless the FC statistic is not included in the attempts, not sure here, but the but the point would remain. Another NFL PR man that doesn't seem to take many fair catches, or perhaps went unrecorded, was De'Anthony Thomas - and he seemed to do alright (with a 12 yard per return metric - no pun intended)

I would love to see Woods develop in this area, but with only one NFL punt return on record, he does seem to be a bit under disciplined for the role. I think it would be still a good idea to keep Thigpen around if possible - or just give the duty to Fast Aging Freddie.

A few things to note, and I had to double-check the numbers I collected earlier... It seems our NFL experienced returners (Leo, Thig, Fred) all seem to have a high percentage of fair catch (around 50 percent) and about 10 yards per average (both around NFL average). Woods has a fairly low percentage of fair catches (16 percent) and only about 5 yards per return.

Unless the FC statistic is not included in the attempts, not sure here, but the but the point would remain. Another NFL PR man that doesn't seem to take many fair catches, or perhaps went unrecorded, was De'Anthony Thomas - and he seemed to do alright (with a 12 yard per return metric - no pun intended)

I would love to see Woods develop in this area, but with only one NFL punt return on record, he does seem to be a bit under disciplined for the role. I think it would be still a good idea to keep Thigpen around if possible - or just give the duty to Fast Aging Freddie.

thigpen is the best choice IMO but I think he would be at roster spot they won't have if he isn't a legit backup in another role. I know he can play WR and RB but I can't see them keeping him over, say, DT or Boobie Dixon simply because he can return punts. DT is a better depth WR and an return kicks and Dixon can block punts and is a better RB. IMO. Woods was a dynamic and accomplished punt returner in college. He knows what he's doing back there. When Leo gets back he will do it, it appears. Unless of course woods is tearing it up.