Cris Carter Tells Rooks "Get Fall Guy if you Get in Trouble"

After watching the video, I think I get what CC was trying to say. I think the crux of his statement is that if you as a player are going to insist on running around with idiots (i.e. a "crew") that someone in that group is taking the responsibility/blame if stupid things happen. Sadly though the Teddy Bridgewater, Inc. analogy will be missed by many young NFL players. CC gives a lecture like a monkey trying to peel a banana with a tack hammer, but he's actually not an idiot.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching the video, I think I get what CC was trying to say. I think the crux of his statement is that if you as a player are going to insist on running around with idiots (i.e. a "crew") that someone in that group is taking the responsibility/blame if stupid things happen. Sadly though the Teddy Bridgewater, Inc. analogy will be missed by many young NFL players. CC gives a lecture like a monkey trying to peel a banana with a tack hammer, but he's actually not an idiot.

That's terrible advice from an idiot. That is not what you tell a 22-23 year old kid... If you're gonna hang around idiots make sure the second biggest idiot to you, lies for you.

That's terrible advice from an idiot. That is not what you tell a 22-23 year old kid... If you're gonna hang around idiots make sure the second biggest idiot to you, lies for you.

Seriously. Carter's "advice" is actually encouraging these young millionaires to create a group of hangers-on who are willing to do anything just to be around them.

His "a Football Life" was on last night, you forget what a bad guy he was early on. First in college with taking $$ from agents which subsequently ruined his OSU coach's career. Then becoming such a drunk/drug addict that Rex's dad had to cut him just to save his life.

His "a Football Life" was on last night, you forget what a bad guy he was early on. First in college with taking $$ from agents which subsequently ruined his OSU coach's career. Then becoming such a drunk/drug addict that Rex's dad had to cut him just to save his life.

Then knowing Buddy saved his life, he let Buddy take outrageous abuse for years and years and years for cutting Cris Carter, and Buddy kept his mouth shut and just took it, never ratting Carter out. And Carter just let it all happen. Then ten years later he says oh yeah, Buddy saved my life.

You left out the police.

Oops. I left out the police. But they need somebody to blame too if they don't have a connection. They are the worst @ feeling entitled. Especially when they stick those placards on their private autos license plates... Like it grants them immunity when they do something wrong.

With them it is a two-way street or a loop of entitlement.

Seriously. Carter's "advice" is actually encouraging these young millionaires to create a group of hangers-on who are willing to do anything just to be around them.

For a ton of dough, there are lots of people who would love to hang-on and take a tumble!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Please list a bunch of things that Vincent has done in this job that makes him an idiot. I'm not saying he i or isn't, just curious as to what you think all these idiotic things he has done are, in this or other cases.

Right off the bat: telling the players to avoid spending money on legal fees because the money is better spent "growing the league together" and helping retired players. That is a crock of total BS - especially when the players are winning most of their cases. First, it's not a zero sum game - money spent in one area doesn't result in other monies not being spent elsewhere. Moreover, legal challenges have historically been the reason that players have ever made any progress vis-a-vis the owners (just ask Freeman McNeill). Let's not forget that relatively speaking, the NFL is an anti-player league, largely because it is better positioned to be. Legal challenges comprise one of the better weapons that the players have.

And this: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2009/03/20090302/This-Weeks-News/Vincent-A-Polarizing-Figure-In-Battle-For-NFLPA.aspx. He wasn't found guilty, but it was a tempest for a small time (first reported by SI).

And this is just dumb: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/11/union-fires-back-at-criticism-from-troy-vincent/ .

And oh yeah: JP.

Right off the bat: telling the players to avoid spending money on legal fees because the money is better spent "growing the league together" and helping retired players. That is a crock of total BS - especially when the players are winning most of their cases. First, it's not a zero sum game - money spent in one area doesn't result in other monies not being spent elsewhere. Moreover, legal challenges have historically been the reason that players have ever made any progress vis-a-vis the owners (just ask Freeman McNeill). Let's not forget that relatively speaking, the NFL is an anti-player league, largely because it is better positioned to be. Legal challenges comprise one of the better weapons that the players have.

And this: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2009/03/20090302/This-Weeks-News/Vincent-A-Polarizing-Figure-In-Battle-For-NFLPA.aspx. He wasn't found guilty, but it was a tempest for a small time (first reported by SI).

And this is just dumb: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/11/union-fires-back-at-criticism-from-troy-vincent/ .

He works for the league. If he still worked for the NFLPA his stance would be the opposite. Nothing there is outwardly dumb for what his job entails. As fas as the allegation goes, if he did that, it was dumb but it seems like it turned out to not such a big deal.

I'm not just sticking up for him, I don't know if he is a good guy or a bad guy. I know he had a great reputation for awhile and I don't even know if he earned it. But I haven't seen anything he did in this particular case, or since he has been with the league that makes him dumb, or someone not to be trusted.

The JP thing I agree with.

Another in an endless series of Cris Carter being a douchebag, he starts off MNF with this gem... "My heart was in the right place..." Yeah, right. "It's not the kind of advice I would offer young people." It's EXACTLY the kind of advice you did give young people...

"Its really hard to go through my thought process," Carter said. "I cant make an excuse for what my mindset was. My heart was in the right place. I didnt use words that I was very proud of. Its not the kind of advice I would offer young people. I would never tell young people to break the law or avoid prosecution. It was bad advice. I really, really regret my words when I heard them come back to me. And more importantly it hurt young people and it hurt them in their approach to the National Football League. So I take it very, very seriously. I do regret that day. I hope moving forward that the NFL still has enough trust in me and has me connected to their young people."

Edited by Kelly the Dog

@SInowLIVE

.@Giants rookie Geremy Davis (@gday85) reacts to Cris Carter's 'fall guy' advice on #SINow http://on.si.com/1U2QBGl

Amazing. The guy wasn't at last year's symposium when Carter said that about the fall guy. He was at this year's when Carter didn't say that, he said you guys should just stay clear of those kinds of things (although this was Davis' explaining what was said, not tape of what he actually said, who knows). To imply that this guy thought there was value in what Carter said, when he wasn't talking about the bad incident is really misleading. He wasn't "reacting to the fall guy" advice at all.