Draft strategy

Canadian Bills Fan

in a 10 team league standard scoring with points as follows...

1 point for every 10 receiving/rushing yards

1 point for every 25 passing yards

6 points for each TD (rushing, receiving and passing)

I start 1 QB 2 RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K and 1DST

What should my strategy be? I pick 5th overall and its a snake draft

I used to always pick an elite QB but Im wondering if I should change it up this year and go with RB

Please let me know what you all think and what you would do

CBF

Depends on what RB's are on the board at 5. If any of Bell, AP, Lacy, Charles or Lynch are there I think you have to consider. If all of those RB's are gone I might look at Antonio Brown. I typically wait until round 3 or 4 to take a QB (Big Ben, Cam, Brady, Wilson). If you do need to take a WR in round one, I would recommend going RB with 2 of your next 3 picks.

My league is the exact same rules/number of teams as yours. I draft 8/10 soon.

I have #2 pick in a 12 team league...#1 said yesterday he was going with AP, why wouldn't someone take QB1 over someone like Marshawn or Bell or Charles? Aaron Rogers will have more fantasy points over the season, barring any injuries of course.

Depends on different factors such as # of teams, scoring system, and # of QB's started. There are only like 5 or 6 "premium RB's" and in most standard leagues with 1 QB starting, it will likely be in your best interest to land one if you can. This guy did a nice write up on many of these draft questions.

http://www.rotowire.com/football/101/draft-strategy.htm

I would go with the best RB on th board as long as it isn't a guy who is on a team that uses RBBC. At 5th you should have a decent option. If you don't like what you see I agree with taking a WR on a team that is going to throw it a ton. AB is a great play as is Dez Bryant.

I would personally wait on a QB until you have 2 RBs and at least 1 WR.

I have #2 pick in a 12 team league...#1 said yesterday he was going with AP, why wouldn't someone take QB1 over someone like Marshawn or Bell or Charles? Aaron Rogers will have more fantasy points over the season, barring any injuries of course.

The difference between elite qb's and lets say maybe the 2nd tier guys available in the 5th, 6th round is not that much. For example, Andrew Luck was the highest fantasy scoring qb in the league last year with 27 points per game. Eli had 22. You have to start at least 2rbs usually so they get scooped up fast so it's advisable to get them first. Then maybe a receiver or two so you aren't lean looking for quality guys in the draft. Then grab a Ryan, Wilson or even a Brady. This is how I do it anyway.

Edited by Dante

i waited until probably rounds 9-16 to get a qb and wound up with Tannehill and Bridgewater...we HAD to draft 4RB, 4WR, 2 each-QB, TE, D, K. I am actually kind of happy getting them in those later rounds.

I would go with the best RB on th board as long as it isn't a guy who is on a team that uses RBBC. At 5th you should have a decent option. If you don't like what you see I agree with taking a WR on a team that is going to throw it a ton. AB is a great play as is Dez Bryant.

I would personally wait on a QB until you have 2 RBs and at least 1 WR.

There are 5 rb's I'd take in the first 5 picks, Bell, Peterson,Lacy, Charles, or Lynch after that a draft can go in many directions.

Get 1 of those RB's and get another RB/WR the next 2 pics depending how your draft goes. (I would lean RB unless a huge run

just happened before your 2nd pick)

Let the draft come to you and don't be pigeon holed into a position.

There's great value later for a QB in my opinion.

Edited by The Tomcat

The difference between elite qb's and lets say maybe the 2nd tier guys available in the 5th, 6th round is not that much. For example, Andrew Luck was the highest fantasy scoring qb in the league last year with 27 points per game. Eli had 22. You have to start at least 2rbs usually so they get scooped up fast so it's advisable to get them first. Then maybe a receiver or two so you aren't lean looking for quality guys in the draft. Then grab a Ryan, Wilson or even a Brady. This is how I do it anyway.

THIS ^^^^

There are 5 rb's I'd take in the first 5 picks, Bell, Peterson,Lacy, Charles, or Lynch after that a draft can go in many directions.

Get 1 of those RB's and get another RB/WR the next 2 pics depending how your draft goes. (I would lean RB unless a huge run

just happened before your 2nd pick)

Let the draft come to you and don't be pigeon holed into a position.

There's great value later for a QB in my opinion.

Well said.

I agree and this makes a lot of sense

Thanks!

CBF

After reading a few if these comments, I will release my 2015 draft strategy....

Due to the small number of stud RB's available, I'm getting one of them if I can in round one... Then I will target a few second tier guys and let the draft dictate to me when I select them. If I'm in a PPR league, adjust ranking accordingly for WR/RB...

There are 5 QB's that I would love to have on my team starting.... So much like the RB2, I will be happy letting the draft dictate when I take one. Sprinkle in the WR's most likely in rounds 2 and 4.... My drafts have gone usually like this (but it varies every time based on players sliding)

RB

WR

RB

WR

QB

RB/WR

TE

By this time, ou should have a serious starting lineup without huge needs at certain positions... The rest of the draft is strictly BPA... Now certainly you would stick right to this (or any other) strategy if players slide, like why take Abdulah as a #2 when you have a #1 WR on the board, or maybe a Gronk or Graham, but a majority of the time, you have to expect those players to be gone..

Also- make sure the day of your draft, you run through the injury report and know who's out for a while, done for the year, etc... WR's and RB's with leg or shoulder issues, QB's with rib or shoulder issues may want to shy away from...

After reading a few if these comments, I will release my 2015 draft strategy....

Due to the small number of stud RB's available, I'm getting one of them if I can in round one... Then I will target a few second tier guys and let the draft dictate to me when I select them. If I'm in a PPR league, adjust ranking accordingly for WR/RB...

There are 5 QB's that I would love to have on my team starting.... So much like the RB2, I will be happy letting the draft dictate when I take one. Sprinkle in the WR's most likely in rounds 2 and 4.... My drafts have gone usually like this (but it varies every time based on players sliding)

RB

WR

RB

WR

QB

RB/WR

TE

By this time, ou should have a serious starting lineup without huge needs at certain positions... The rest of the draft is strictly BPA... Now certainly you would stick right to this (or any other) strategy if players slide, like why take Abdulah as a #2 when you have a #1 WR on the board, or maybe a Gronk or Graham, but a majority of the time, you have to expect those players to be gone..

Also- make sure the day of your draft, you run through the injury report and know who's out for a while, done for the year, etc... WR's and RB's with leg or shoulder issues, QB's with rib or shoulder issues may want to shy away from...

this is good stuff. If you had the #1 overall pick in a 12 team snake draft, who would you take? Edited by YoloinOhio

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.