Car maintenance

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you go to full service gas stations too???

Everybody does in New Jersey and Oregon... The joke in Oregon when a baby is born is they slap it on the azz and say: "No self-serve for you!"

But really, those two states claim that fuel prices are lower due to not paying higher insurance premiums. Really? New Jersey I can understand... They are @ the center of an industrial complex and are a higly service orientated culture in that state.

I asked around here when Illinois did away w/its full-serve laws... Somebody told me: 1977 or so. That's not too long ago??? I reckon, all the other states did so around that time. New Jersey and Oregon of course being the only hold outs.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Everybody does in New Jersey and Oregon... The joke in Oregon when a baby is born is they slap it on the azz and say: "No self-serve for you!"

But really, those two states claim that fuel prices are lower due to not paying higher insurance premiums. Really? New Jersey I can understand... They are @ the center of an industrial complex and are a higly service orientated culture in that state.

I asked around here when Illinois did away w/its full-serve laws... Somebody told me: 1977 or so. That's not too long ago??? I reckon, all the other states did so around that time. New Jersey and Oregon of course being the only hold outs.

Sorry- only thing I took out of this was "orientated".... Maybe you meant 'oriented'

Just wondering where you heard that BS on Oregon. having lived there and still owning property there. We never heard about it. interesting. Lower fuel prices? LOL oregon is among the highest in the lower 48 only beat out west by Claifornia. lower insurance? never heard about it. As for the " joke" seriously did you make this crap up? it is all wrong.

Just wondering where you heard that BS on Oregon. having lived there and still owning property there. We never heard about it. interesting. Lower fuel prices? LOL oregon is among the highest in the lower 48 only beat out west by Claifornia. lower insurance? never heard about it. As for the " joke" seriously did you make this crap up? it is all wrong.

What part of Oregon is wrong? What's "ALL" wrong? The joke, maybe you just never heard it? We have a friend that lives there and that's the message that was told to us. You must of missed it. Have you lived there since the late 1940's? What seems to be the problem? I can't figure out the price thing too. Both states have the practice rooted in safety and considered changing it. Since it is rooted in safety, it very much is insurance. Everything can be tied to safety and an argument made, especially insurance purposes. Many places you can't walk into a service bay (without be helped by a technician) because of insurance regulations. Oregon has been the first out of the two states to mull the change. It really isn't far fetched to see why these 2 states out of 50 have no self-serve laws on the books.

http://fortune.com/2015/05/18/new-jersey-gas-pump/

Sorry- only thing I took out of this was "orientated".... Maybe you meant 'oriented'

It's a joke.

EDIT:

"People say orientated because they hear the word orientation and think that's the verb made from it. It's called a "back-formation". (See Why are "colleagues" becoming "work colleagues"?). Orientated is accepted as an alternate by most dictionaries I've seen.

To orient something comes from the medieval practice of building cathedrals so that the apse, the part of the building that contained the altar, would be on the eastern side (hence orient).

(I suppose if they screwed up and got it the other way around the architects just shrugged and said, "Well, occidents will happen.")"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

From Bergen County NJ, notice part d. of the satute--

"Under state statute 34:3A-4:

a. Because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures, including turning off vehicle engines and refraining from smoking while fuel is dispensed;

b. At self-service gasoline stations in other states, cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of the activities of customers dispensing gasoline, or to give their undivided attention to observing customers; therefore, when customers, rather than attendants, are permitted to dispense fuel, it is far more difficult to enforce compliance with safety procedures;

c. The State needs stronger measures to enforce both compliance by customers with the ban on self-service and compliance by attendants with safety procedures;

d. The higher general liability insurance premium rates charged to self-service stations reflect the fact that customers who leave their vehicles to dispense gasoline or other inflammable liquids face significant inconveniences and dangers, including the risks of crime and fall-related personal injury, which are a special burden to drivers with physical infirmities, such as the handicapped and some senior citizens;..."

http://www.bergencounty.com/mobile/trivia-and-fun/why-you-can-t-pump-your-own-gas-in-bergen-county-nj-1.1010289

What part of Oregon is wrong? What's "ALL" wrong? The joke, maybe you just never heard it? We have a friend that lives there and that's the message that was told to us. You must of missed it. Have you lived there since the late 1940's? What seems to be the problem? I can't figure out the price thing too. Both states have the practice rooted in safety and considered changing it. Since it is rooted in safety, it very much is insurance. Everything can be tied to safety and an argument made, especially insurance purposes. Many places you can't walk into a service bay (without be helped by a technician) because of insurance regulations. Oregon has been the first out of the two states to mull the change. It really isn't far fetched to see why these 2 states out of 50 have no self-serve laws on the books.

http://fortune.com/2015/05/18/new-jersey-gas-pump/

It's a joke.

EDIT:

"People say orientated because they hear the word orientation and think that's the verb made from it. It's called a "back-formation". (See Why are "colleagues" becoming "work colleagues"?). Orientated is accepted as an alternate by most dictionaries I've seen.

To orient something comes from the medieval practice of building cathedrals so that the apse, the part of the building that contained the altar, would be on the eastern side (hence orient).

(I suppose if they screwed up and got it the other way around the architects just shrugged and said, "Well, occidents will happen.")"

Your welcome for the wiki homework... Lol... I was just messing with you- quite sure you didn't want to christen another TBDism

Your welcome for the wiki homework... Lol... I was just messing with you- quite sure you didn't want to christen another TBDism

I don't mind if it becomes a TBDism... Like the quote above says, many dictionaries do recognize it as an alternate use:

orientated

adjective , chiefly British

:oriented

First Use: 1950

I don't mind you messing w/me... I must be part British.

:-P

Oh... And you are military guy... I think it is used more prevelant there? I cringe w/my butchering of some words, but I don't cringe here.

Sheets in Powhaten Va(15 miles outddor Richmond) $2.07 last week. Should be under $2 shortly.

And I never do a lick of work on my car....

$2.07

wow. My monthly budget profit will skyrocket with low gas cost.

i hope it drops to 2 bucks over here in cali. i'll be rich rich rich. jk.

Sheets in Powhaten Va(15 miles outddor Richmond) $2.07 last week. Should be under $2 shortly.

And I never do a lick of work on my car....

Don't bank on it... There is always: "the refinery malfunction." LoL... Look @ things exploding in China. Labor Day is upon us and winter blend is will come into the picture (but winter blend i think is cheaper?)

Damn enviros!

True.

I'll deal with that in 35 years. Im 36 right now.

I prefer low gas price.

Again... Don't bank on it... A few weeks ago we were paying $2.30 here and in ONE DAY it went up to $3.45 because of the malfunction @ the refinery here.

Everything is cut so close w/the supply chain and distribution network... One little SNAFU and things get FUBAR'd VERY quickly!