How would of you handled this?

NavyBillsFan

I grew up right across the street from old school #9 next to the Firestation and the boyclub in the great city of Buffalo. Being the only white kid in class, I never has one problem with racism, NEVER. Ive always had a open mind toward people and color, you respect me and I respect you. Thats for all human beings.

All of you from the Norfolk, VA area. There is a well mix of all cultures here. I was down off of Granby St near the city. Not a nice neighborhood there. Majority Black. I wanted something to drink so I stopped into this real small mom and pop store. Everyone in there turned and looked at me. It was like walking into a saloon in the old west. I dont think a white man ever walked through those doors. I grabbed a Jones soda and stood in line with my wife to pay. Everyone was VERY quiet and the clerk keep looking at us. I knew what was up but my wife is from a quiet town in PA where everyone knows everyone and had no idea. I got up to the counter and he rang up my item with no problems. He $%&ing said to me "They dont sell these at any other store?" I looked right at him and said "Yes they do, but I love the way they taste here." The lady behind me made a pouting snickering sound right before my comment. He gave me my change and me and Jen started walking out. He friggin says "some people need to get a clue" I turned right around and said " Not when they carry a pistol, ill enjoy the soda" He looked pissed.

My wife had no idea about what was going on and she thought I was starting crap in there and being rude. Im a jerk on the internet but a nice guy with a big heart in person. I explained to her what was going on and she was VERY upset, more shocked than anything.

Was I wrong for what I said? I dont feel I was.

NBF, I have relatives in the area there. I have shopped at "black only" stores and got gas at "black only" gas stations, in the past 10 years. Personally I have never ever had a problem and never had someone say anything to me. Yes I got the looks but no problems, no comments.

Maybe it was your mannerisms, the way you carried yourself, something. But never a comment or issue.

Let me be the first to tell you you're absolutely right: you ARE a jerk on the internet. :ph34r:

Seriously, if you're a Navy dude and you have a gun nearby, then to me opening your mouth to respond is not that big a deal. The only problem I had was the fact that your wife was with you. Unless you truly knew your surroundings...that is say, how many people were really there, and whether you could take them all on your own...you were putting your wife in danger.

Im a VERY nice person in public. Im a big guy and been big on the weights for many years. I stand out in a croud My wife says im a target because of my size. But I dont pull myself in a mannor which I make myself a target. Im not a assclown. Im really a quiet guy. I help people out all the time (open doors, help loading stuff into car, help out old people). Im not a penis in public like I am here. This is the internet and not real life.

As far as the danger part man, none. I would of walked away from it unless he came at me.

When i first moved down here, i was always felt a little different going into gas stations where everyone is haitian, mexican, etc, etc. I am very used to it now, and have never had a problem (I actually find them nicer than the white people who work at many of them - ya know, the ones who are "too good to work there but no one is willing to hand them a $75,000 a year job they "deserve" so they are pissed at the world"). Anyway, if that had happened to me, as big as I am, and as little as I would ever back down from a fight, I would have left. You have a pistol, great. How many of them could have said the same? It's not worth risking your life to prove a point. Ignorant people are everywhere, and unfortunately, a exchange of words won't change that.

Just funny that if the reverse had happened, Jessie Jackson would already be on CNN.

I grew up right across the street from old school #9 next to the Firestation and the boyclub in the great city of Buffalo.  Being the only white kid in class, I never has one problem with racism, NEVER.  Ive always had a open mind toward people and color, you respect me and I respect you.  Thats for all human beings.

All of you from the Norfolk, VA area.  There is a well mix of all cultures here.  I was down off of Granby St near the city.  Not a nice neighborhood there.  Majority Black.  I wanted something to drink so I stopped into this real small mom and pop store.  Everyone in there turned and looked at me.  It was like walking into a saloon in the old west.  I dont think a white man ever walked through those doors.  I grabbed a Jones soda and stood in line with my wife to pay.  Everyone was VERY quiet and the clerk keep looking at us.  I knew what was up but my wife is from a quiet town in PA where everyone knows everyone and had no idea.  I got up to the counter and he rang up my item with no problems.  He $%&ing said to me "They dont sell these at any other store?"  I looked right at him and said "Yes they do, but I love the way they taste here."  The lady behind me made a pouting snickering sound right before my comment.  He gave me my change and me and Jen started walking out.  He friggin says "some people need to get a clue"  I turned right around and said " Not when they carry a pistol, ill enjoy the soda"  He looked pissed.

My wife had no idea about what was going on and she thought I was starting crap in there and being rude.  Im a jerk on the internet but a nice guy with a big heart in person.  I explained to her what was going on and she was VERY upset, more shocked than anything.

Was I wrong for what I said?  I dont feel I was.

236388[/snapback]

A couple of things:

From one military guy to another (at least former) dont friggen change one thing about yourself or the way you carry yourself to make them feel better....be who you are (unless you are a total jerk but you dont sound like one) you start doing that crap and when someone wants to not like you they will prey on the weakness that shows anyway.....

Second.....you did the right thing by not escelating it further....I know that you probably would have like to grap that guy at the counter by the friggen throat for disrespecting you like that in front of your wife (I know that would be my first thought) but you dont know exactly how many adversaries you would really have.....whether the attendant was talking to you with one hand on something underneat the counter.....etc etc etc. You did the right thing by not putting your loved one in danger...

People hate for no reasons sometimes....it sucks. When my father in law was a pastor in Bridgeport CT in the worst parts of town I would go visit him with the family.....everywhere I went they thought I was a cop so for some reason they didn't mess with me.

I was armed every time I went to Bridgeport

I grew up right across the street from old school #9 next to the Firestation and the boyclub in the great city of Buffalo.  Being the only white kid in class, I never has one problem with racism, NEVER.  Ive always had a open mind toward people and color, you respect me and I respect you.  Thats for all human beings.

All of you from the Norfolk, VA area.  There is a well mix of all cultures here.  I was down off of Granby St near the city.  Not a nice neighborhood there.  Majority Black.  I wanted something to drink so I stopped into this real small mom and pop store.  Everyone in there turned and looked at me.  It was like walking into a saloon in the old west.  I dont think a white man ever walked through those doors.  I grabbed a Jones soda and stood in line with my wife to pay.  Everyone was VERY quiet and the clerk keep looking at us.  I knew what was up but my wife is from a quiet town in PA where everyone knows everyone and had no idea.  I got up to the counter and he rang up my item with no problems.  He $%&ing said to me "They dont sell these at any other store?"  I looked right at him and said "Yes they do, but I love the way they taste here."  The lady behind me made a pouting snickering sound right before my comment.  He gave me my change and me and Jen started walking out.  He friggin says "some people need to get a clue"  I turned right around and said " Not when they carry a pistol, ill enjoy the soda"  He looked pissed.

My wife had no idea about what was going on and she thought I was starting crap in there and being rude.  Im a jerk on the internet but a nice guy with a big heart in person.  I explained to her what was going on and she was VERY upset, more shocked than anything.

236388[/snapback]

Were you in uniform? Last time I was in Norfolk I used to go buy beer on Granby sometimes and never had a problem. I also used to go to the store out the back gate where Mc Donalds is ( all black ) and never had a problem their either. Did have a problem with some white guys in Portsmouth though. Still got scar on my knuckle where I pulled a tooth out of my hand. But being a Seabee I never had a problem when I made my deployments to Norfolk. Sounds weird ---deployment to Norfolk :ph34r:

Your story reminds me about an experience I had in Buffalo back in 86 or 87. A good friend of mine, who was black, convinced me I should go to the Martin Luther King festival. He had some friends who were having a party and said we'd have a good time.

So we went to the festival and had a great time. I was just about the only white boy there and did get a lot of looks, but his friends were very cool and made me feel welcome.

When the festival was winding down my buddy wanted to go to one of his favorite bars, so the two of us went to tip back a few. We walked in and went to the bar to get some drinks and I noticed that once again I was the only white boy and I was getting a lot of “are you crazy” stares.

While the bartender was getting our drinks this huge Sam Adams size guy came out of the bathroom, saw me, and immediately walked over to me. He lifted his massive arms over his head and pushed against the ceiling with his hands. Then he said to me in a very loud and very deep voice, "What the fu*k do you think you're doing here?"

Well the bar became completely silent and I said, "ah, um, ah, well you see we were thirsty and ah..." My stomach felt like it just did a 1000 foot freefall. I'm not a small guy, 6 foot 225 pounds, but not a NFL size lineman like this guy was. He could have squished me like I was an ant. THANKFULLY this is when my friend decided to speak up and say I was with him and that I was alright. The big guy grunted and sneered at me and walked away.

My friend and I had a couple of drinks (my first one went down in record time), and then I asked the bartender to buy the big guy a drink and tell him I meant no disrespect. After the bartender brought over his drink and pointed to me the big guy yelled out for me to come over there and sit down.

When I got over there he told me to sit and then reached his arm over the table and said, "My name is Larry, as in you're in Larry's Lair." I reached across, shook his hand and said, "I'm Dave, as in Dave in Larry's Lair." He busted out laughing and everyone else in the bar including me started laughing. Then he said to me, "What are you laughing about?" Everyone in the bar shut up immediately as did I. Then Larry started laughing again and told me to relax and sit down so that we could have a drink together.

Anyway without going into all of the details of our extended conversation, Larry and I really hit it off and we even wound up going to another bar together later that night. I still visit him every chance I get when I go back to Buffalo.

The moral of the story is that like it or not there are racial problems everywhere in America but with a little luck and a friend to help you out everything can turn out great if people get to know each other. That being said if my buddy wasn't there to help me this story probably would have an entirely different outcome.

Your story reminds me about an experience I had in Buffalo back in 86 or 87. A good friend of mine, who was black, convinced me I should go to the Martin Luther King festival. He had some friends who were having a party and said we'd have a good time.

So we went to the festival and had a great time. I was just about the only white boy there and did get a lot of looks, but his friends were very cool and made me feel welcome.

When the festival was winding down my buddy wanted to go to one of his favorite bars, so the two of us went to tip back a few. We walked in and went to the bar to get some drinks and I noticed that once again I was the only white boy and I was getting a lot of “are you crazy” stares. 

While the bartender was getting our drinks this huge Sam Adams size guy came out of the bathroom, saw me, and immediately walked over to me. He lifted his massive arms over his head and pushed against the ceiling with his hands. Then he said to me in a very loud and very deep voice, "What the fu*k do you think you're doing here?"

Well the bar became completely silent and I said, "ah, um, ah, well you see we were thirsty and  ah..." My stomach felt like it just did a 1000 foot freefall. I'm not a small guy, 6 foot 225 pounds, but not a NFL size lineman like this guy was. He could have squished me like I was an ant. THANKFULLY this is when my friend decided to speak up and say I was with him and that I was alright. The big guy grunted and sneered at me and walked away.

My friend and I had a couple of drinks (my first one went down in record time), and then I asked the bartender to buy the big guy a drink and tell him I meant no disrespect. After the bartender brought over his drink and pointed to me the big guy yelled out for me to come over there and sit down.

When I got over there he told me to sit and then reached his arm over the table and said, "My name is Larry, as in you're in Larry's Lair." I reached across, shook his hand and said, "I'm Dave, as in Dave in Larry's Lair." He busted out laughing and everyone else in the bar including me started laughing. Then he said to me, "What are you laughing about?" Everyone in the bar shut up immediately as did I. Then Larry started laughing again and told me to relax and sit down so that we could have a drink together.

Anyway without going into all of the details of our extended conversation, Larry and I really hit it off and we even wound up going to another bar together later that night. I still visit him every chance I get when I go back to Buffalo.

The moral of the story is that like it or not there are racial problems everywhere in America but with a little luck and a friend to help you out everything can turn out great if people get to know each other. That being said if my buddy wasn't there to help me this story probably would have an entirely different outcome.

236499[/snapback]

Cool story!

236388[/snapback]

I thought only whitey was racist, according to Rev. Al, and BET.

Is there such a thing as a " ALL WHITE STORE"?

I'm being serious.

236517[/snapback]

Banana republic? :doh:

Nah I'm just kidding. I don't know about any specific stores (as in one chain that no black people go or something like that) but there are areas around where I live that have bars that black people just don't go. There are also bars up north the other direction, that white people just don't go. It's sad and disgusting. But anyone who thinks this is a one way street is extremely naive.

I have been in the position of having someone point a gun or a knife at me. You do not do that sh&t unless you are prepared for the repercussions. Personally, I get real quite, and real serious. And real friggin mean. Those things happened a long time ago, but the memory is quit vivid.

I had been in many fights when a teen, few by my own instigation. One night some guy "forced" me to fight him for bumping into him. Even after profusely apologizing to him. We went outside behind the Amherst skating rink, and he proceeds to pull a knife and wave it in my face. Let me tell you, the only thing I thought about in that moment was to inflict sever pain on the sombitch. I had never been a dirty fighter to that point in my life, but this guy broke ALL the rules. There was nothing that was not fair game at that point, and I eventually planted him head-first into the concrete.

Sorry, I get mad just thinking about it. And the gun? That's another story, but I think you get my point.

Never, I mean NEVER talk about having a gun. The only time that should be an issue is if you have to use it. It is not to be used to bluff, it is not to be used to intimidate. It has one purpose only. To kill someone if they are going to kill you. If you treat it otherwise, then you set yourself up to be the one taking the long goodbye. And ESPECIALLY with your wife there. You may be able to take care of yourself, but they can not only harm the little women, they can take away any advantage you have by using her against you.

I appreciate that you were dealt with improperly. Perhaps a funny comeback could disarm them - the mood that is. Or maybe like me, you quietly look the guy in the eye and convey the concept that you will not be fu@ked with. What ever your personal style, it should not include any explicit or indirect threats. You are, or should be, about making sure you and your wife leave without difficulty. To say what you did left you open, and possibly, a bigger target then when you went into the store in the first place.