Pettine/Farmer struggling for power in Cleveland

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meyer's not stupid. Unless he gets caught cheating at OSU he has no reason to ever leave -- he's a god up there right now.

He's also spoken about problems caused in his marriage and his family by the schedule of coaching. He's said he's happy with where he is. I imagine if he wanted an NFL job even with "control" that he could find one.

Air Force pilots used to say about the F-4, that it proved that given enough thrust, even a brick will fly.

After seeing the Bills defense play so well for Pettine and then Schwartz and presumably Rex's gofer (what's his name, anyway?), I'm thinking the Bills defense proves that with the right players, it doesn't matter that much who the coach is. And if the players insist on screwing up, it also doesn't matter who the coach is. I am remembering clearly Kiko (under Pettine) taking the wrong gap on many run plays, leaving the middle of the field clear for gash runs by the opponent. Was that Pettine's fault, or Kiko's? I also remember Kiko running players down, and making great pass defenses. Was that Pettine's coaching, or Kiko's talent?

Anyway, Pettine is a talented, fairly young coach who wanted to be a HC enough to walk into the Cleveland sewage. The Browns are getting better with him as HC. If he's there 20 years and turns the franchise around, good for him and them.

Are you forgetting how wandstatt did nothing with these players.