Lakawanna Blues

PromoTheRobot

Here's a link to a review in the NY Times. Sounds very interesting, but a tad confusing. It's the story of poor blacks living in 1950's Lakawanna. But correct me if I'm wrong, I though Lakawana was always poor and white? I always thought Lakawanna was filled with the spillover of Irish from South Buffalo. The black neighborhoods were all within the city limits.

I did not live in Lakawanna so I don't know for sure. Anyone here have an idea? Either way, it sounds like a good movie.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/11/arts/tel...tvwk.html?8hpib

PTR

Here's a link to a review in the NY Times.  Sounds very interesting, but a tad confusing.  It's the story of poor blacks living in 1950's Lakawanna.  But correct me if I'm wrong, I though Lakawana was always poor and white?  I always thought Lakawanna was filled with the spillover of Irish from South Buffalo.  The black neighborhoods were all within the city limits.

I did not live in Lakawanna so I don't know for sure.  Anyone here have an idea?  Either way, it sounds like a good movie.

PTR

235227[/snapback]

It was always known as "Blackawanna" when I was in WNY. Get on the other side of that bridge and things get pretty seedy.

It was always known as "Blackawanna" when I was in WNY.  Get on the other side of that bridge and things get pretty seedy.

235643[/snapback]

Ha...I was going to post that, but decided to let somebody else do it. I knew a lot of kids from Lackawanna...nice but tough. Still, its better than areas in the Bronx I've been to.

Here's a link to a review in the NY Times.  Sounds very interesting, but a tad confusing.  It's the story of poor blacks living in 1950's Lakawanna.  But correct me if I'm wrong, I though Lakawana was always poor and white?  I always thought Lakawanna was filled with the spillover of Irish from South Buffalo.  The black neighborhoods were all within the city limits.

I did not live in Lakawanna so I don't know for sure.  Anyone here have an idea?  Either way, it sounds like a good movie.

PTR

235227[/snapback]

I could not get to the story using that link. Are you sure they werent talking about Lackawanna, PA? Even back in the 60's and mis 70's Lackawanna was Polish and Irish with very few Blacks.

I remember playing a scrimmidge against Baker-Victory in the 70's. I was 6 inches taller and 60 lbs heavier than the guy across the line from me and the tough little bastard gave me fits all day.

At the end of the movie they showed the house demolished along with the closed & demolished places around Lackawanna. I looked up 32 Wasson Ave and it is now a vacant lot owned by the City of Lackawanna.

The movie was ok, but I'm really not into movies that have small pieces of life stories about a lot of people. I prefer movies that have a heavy concentration on the main characters only.