Not all In on Miller and Kouandjio Starting .. Whaley's Wart

patfitz

To paraphrase...I guarantee it until I don't.

I can appreciate these remarks. I should have left the second part out. Anyone who thinks this line will magically be good, especially this year, is kidding themselves (until proven otherwise, obviously). Sure, maybe Glen wasn't 100% last year when he took a step back, maybe Wood is still average to slightly above and not terrible, maybe RI will regain the form he had during that short stretch when he played well, maybe we get decent RT play, maybe a rookie accels in year one. Maybe coaching and scheme have a large impact.

How someone can suggest they'll be "shocked" if this line isn't good is beyond me. I am a definite Bills optimist and I still know better! I certainly hope I am wrong, but I don't see too much to be excited about on the O-Line.

Edited by TheJuice

I can appreciate these remarks. I should have left the second part out. Anyone who thinks this line will magically be good, especially this year, is kidding themselves (until proven otherwise, obviously). Sure, maybe Glen wasn't 100% last year when he took a step back, maybe Wood is still average to slightly above, maybe RI will regain the form he had during that small stretch when we was good, maybe we get decent RT play, maybe a rookie accels in year one. Maybe coaching and scheme have a large impact. How someone can suggest they'll be "shocked" if this line isn't good is completely ridiculous in my estimation. I am a definite Bills optimist and I still know better!

So people that think that the line will be good "are kidding themselves" unless "proven otherwise?" You see the contradiction there right?

I am not seeing a bunch of people that think the line will be really good. It should be improved based on the fact that they upgraded coaching and both guard positions.

So people that think that the line will be good "are kidding themselves" unless "proven otherwise?" You see the contradiction there right?

I am not seeing a bunch of people that think the line will be really good. It should be improved based on the fact that they upgraded coaching and both guard positions.

That was a joke in light of my idiotic initial statement. Yes, I see the contradiction and appreciate it being pointed out, truly. "Improved" could still be bottom quarter of the league remember. Edited by TheJuice

That was a joke in light of my idiotic initial statement. Yes, I see the contradiction and appreciate it being pointed out, truly. "Improved" could still be bottom quarter of the league remember.

Ha ha, sorry sarcasm can be tough to detect on here.

Agreed, that improved does not mean good. It could still be bottom quarter of the league. I am expecting closer to middle of the pack. The Bills won 9 games last year and even slight improvements in some areas will help that record to rise. They are significantly better at TE, RB, WR & offensive coaching. The line should improve (to what degree is up for debate). The offense may not be the Packers but if you break it down by pieces there is a reason to believe that the unit will improve. The only position that may regress is QB. It could improve as well for all that we know.

Not really trying to defend him as I have no clue how good he is but when did he look bad, since he never played. TC? Preseason? I'm willing to keep an open mind, but I doubt anyone is "sold" on him.

Training camp. He was getting dogged by Hughes every play. He would just run around him like he was standing still. Slow feet. I think that really killed his confidence. To go from that to starter... I just don't see it happening

Edited by kdiggz

Training camp. He was getting dogged by Hughes every play. He would just run around him like he was standing still. Slow feet. I think that really killed his confidence. To go from that to starter... I just don't see it happening

Hughes made a lot of people look bad last year. That said I am also from Missouri (the show me state) with Kujo, but I am very hopeful (to the point that I think he'll start at RT).

That's hardly an indictment on Kouandjio.

Two offseasons ago, reports were that Cordy Glenn was regressing as a second-year player because Hughes was abusing him in practice. Turns out Hughes is really good.

Ask Branden Albert & Joe Thomas.

Now obviously that doesn't mean that he'll win the RT job or play well; just saying that it's not prudent to base that conclusion on what Hughes does to a guy.

Chris Williams is not a factor in this equation. He's obviously gonna get cut. It's gonna be glenn, incognito, wood, miller and whoever wins the battle between cyrus and Henderson and it's going to be a vastly improved line. Barring injury I'd be shocked if it's not a good line. Please stop with this. You talk about whaley not addressing the line- he went all in on the line one year ago and all three were viewed as great value picks at the time. Give the guys a year or two would ya?

All three? Henderson was considered a great value because of his issues/maturity. The others? Well, someone has to step up, I'll agree with that.

Plugging in a rookie G, however talented, worries me a bit.

All three? Henderson was considered a great value because of his issues/maturity. The others? Well, someone has to step up, I'll agree with that.

Plugging in a rookie G, however talented, worries me a bit.

Cyrus was at the draft b/c he was thought of as a 1st round talent (right or wrong). Cyril Richardson was a unanimous all-american and thought to go much earlier than the 5th. Those guys were good value (regardless of how they have played to date).

That's hardly an indictment on Kouandjio.

Two offseasons ago, reports were that Cordy Glenn was regressing as a second-year player because Hughes was abusing him in practice. Turns out Hughes is really good.

Ask Branden Albert & Joe Thomas.

Now obviously that doesn't mean that he'll win the RT job or play well; just saying that it's not prudent to base that conclusion on what Hughes does to a guy.

I'm not. Just stating what happened and one of the main reasons he didn't see the field last year. I agree that Hughes can do that to a lot of guys but for a 21 yr old rookie that probably really hurt his confidence

I think that we are all concerned about the offensive line. You just lose credibility when you say something like "Miller is raw." As a prospect he is the exact opposite of that. He may not have massive upside but he has no chance of busting. He is a high IQ, polished football player. He is a high floor guy and that is why they took him. They could not afford to roll the dice on a boom or bust guy.

It is kind of like saying "I am worried about Tyrod Taylor as the QB because I do not think that he is quick enough to play the position." No one knows what kind of play Tyrod will provide (it is an example not assuming that he starts) but we all agree that quickness will not be his issue.

Agreed. Miller is not raw.

3 pages I see the OP has not come back to defend his comments (which he typically tends to do.....start these type of thread for fun)

Its ok.....just not to be taken seriously

Cog has not been a good OG "for a time" he has been a legit starter on every team he has played on.....it is attitude that gets him moved from place to place....not ability....agility that won him a pro bowl birth.

Its a little difficult to evaluate OL when they are not allowed to touch anybody AND when they have to go against the best DL in the league.......there gonna lose battles in camp