Sunday Ticket - Start your Engines

Griz

Called 07/14 was offered $10 off my bill for 6 months. Asked for retention and got $25 a month off my bill for 12 months. no contract extension. More than covers ST, plus Starz for 3 months free. :) Been with DTV since 1997.

Edited by Montana Mike

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I did this year so try this: Call back and tell them you are canceling. Get transferred to Retention and tell them you want to cancel but schedule the cancellation for two weeks out. If you talk to a different rep in Retention you may get some better offers, for some reason different reps seem to offer different discounts, but if you don't get what you want then stick to setting up a cancellation date around the end of the month. Once they put you in their system as definitely cancelling the service, then more discounts magically open up for you. You may or may not get and email within a few days saying something to the effect 'We heard you are canceling, we want you back' and listing some discounts including Sunday Ticket. Regardless of whether or not you get the email, in a few days you can call back, go to Retention, and mention to them you got an email wanting you back and they should be ready to wheel and deal.

Doing this I got: $45 off a month for 12 months. Sunday Ticket Max for free. All movie channels free for 3 months. $200 gift card. YMMV

5th year getting Sunday ticket for free.

This.

When I canceled my service 8 years ago (Fios internet way more important to me), they practically paid me to stay. Every time I said no they upped the offer.

Made the customer retention call today with the following credits:

$30 credit for 12 months Customer Loyalty with 12 month agreement

$10 credit for 12 months HD DVR Service

$10 credit for 12 months Premier Discount

$10 credit for 6 months Sports Pak

$7 credit for 6 months HBO

$7 credit for 6 months Showtime

$7 credit for 6 months CineMax

$5 credit for 6 months Value Discount

I am already getting Sunday Ticket Max on auto renewal for 4 payments of $40.99 so I settled for that given all of the other discounts they added to my account. They are also replacing an older HD DVR and a non-functioning AM-21 OTA Tuner at no cost with an appointment tomorrow morning.

DirecTV comes through again for me. :thumbsup:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Called today and got no where. Customer Retention said they could'nt do anyting for me until a charge shows up on by bill.

I called a couple of days ago and got no where. I got a retention staffer who offered only a small discount for the ST but nothing else. I will try again. If I don't get a better deal I will switch to Verizon Fios bundle and leave Directv. The retention rep I dealt with was polite but firm. What I was asking for was to get the ST for free. I was disappointed but I'm willing to exercise my options if need be.

Edited by JohnC

I'm was already getting Sunday Ticket Max on auto renewal for 4 payments of $40.99 so I settled for that given all of the other discounts they added to my account. They are also replacing an older HD DVR and a non-functioning AM-21 OTA Tuner at no cost with an appointment tomorrow morning.

Jesus Christ, that's the mother lode; congrats. How were you already getting that ST Max discount?

Jesus Christ, that's the mother lode; congrats. How were you already getting that ST Max discount?

That's what they gave me last year along with many other discounts. The CSR told me I'm on auto renew at the same discounted cost. Not sure why, but I'll take it. I've had this account at my current address since 2002, I have the Premier package, and I'm on auto pay for my bill.....Maybe those factors are a big part of it.

That's what they gave me last year along with many other discounts. The CSR told me I'm on auto renew at the same discounted cost. Not sure why, but I'll take it. I've had this account at my current address since 2002, I have the Premier package, and I'm on auto pay for my bill.....Maybe those factors are a big part of it.

I'm all of that and customer since '94...calling now.

Good luck!

Thank you, Mr. 26CornerBlitz -- because of your post I just spoke with a customer retention rep who, in addition to the credits I obtained earlier this month, issued me a full credit for ST Max and an additional $10/12 mos. That was nearly a $500 phone call!

Thank you, Mr. 26CornerBlitz -- because of your post I just spoke with a customer retention rep who, in addition to the credits I obtained earlier this month, issued me a full credit for ST Max and an additional $10/12 mos. That was nearly a $500 phone call!

Excellent news! Congrats!

I'm was already getting Sunday Ticket Max on auto renewal for 4 payments of $40.99 so I settled for that given all of the other discounts they added to my account. They are also replacing an older HD DVR and a non-functioning AM-21 OTA Tuner at no cost with an appointment tomorrow morning.

Very similar to what I bagged. Ain't life grand? :flirt:

I will use what 26cornerblitz got when I cal to get center ice for free and free six months of all movie channles

Good Luck. Your bargaining power improves quite a bit if your contract with them has expired.

Very similar to what I bagged. Ain't life grand? :flirt:

Indeed it is I'd say. :thumbsup:

Well I called back last week after nowhere with retention earlier this month. I told her to schedule my cancellation for August 1st. She then said what if I give you Sunday ticket for $160(4 payments of $40 each) & $10 off a month for the next 12 months. I said okay. But now reading this I think I am going to call back & ask for Sunday ticket free & threaten to cancel. Worth a shot I guess.

Well I called back last week after nowhere with retention earlier this month. I told her to schedule my cancellation for August 1st. She then said what if I give you Sunday ticket for $160(4 payments of $40 each) & $10 off a month for the next 12 months. I said okay. But now reading this I think I am going to call back & ask for Sunday ticket free & threaten to cancel. Worth a shot I guess.

Don't overplay your hand...sounds like you just got over $300 with that phone call...

Don't overplay your hand...sounds like you just got over $300 with that phone call...

Yeah I hear ya but not to seem ungrateful but hearing everybody else's deal, my deal kind of stinks.

Yeah I hear ya but not to seem ungrateful but hearing everybody else's deal, my deal kind of stinks.

That's pretty ungrateful. Earlier in the thread you conceded you have always gotten it for free. But suit yourself!

i just called....i got a nice lady...she couldnt do much because she wasnt retentions but she shaved a little off my bill...my bills recently skyrocketed up so i thought my credits were up....turns out i was being bills for the ticket....so i chatted with her for a bit and she told me she would transfer me to retentions to get me a better deal....I got a cool guy and we chatted about sports for a bit....told him my concerns with my service going out the rainfall...he again said he couldnt do anything with the bill just yet because my credits dont expire until next month but he without hesitation gave me sunday ticket for free including the max which ive never had before...and reversed all the sunday ticket charges that had occured on my account...he said to call back after next month and they would get that bills down further. so as it sits i have received ST max for free with hopefully more to come next month. to be honest i am seriously thinking about canceling due to the fact that my dog has issues with storms and i have to get up with him so i want to watch tv...but when i do the service is down. if that doesnt change there really isnt any amount of discounts they can give me to stay. But I have always recieved top notch service with them and this is the 4th year in a row they have given me the ticket without hesitation.

That's pretty ungrateful. Earlier in the thread you conceded you have always gotten it for free. But suit yourself!

Yeah I know it is ungrateful but I hear stories like Zevo & I think there are better deals to be had. I think I will call them back after my softball game tonight. Doesn't hurt to ask.