Donald J. Trump, Worth 9 billion

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trolling me now? That's too cute. Typical though. Call anyone who disagrees with you a racist or a bigot. Or like NBC and the fascists that support them, do whatever you can to silence anyone who disagrees with you.

Yes, because calling people fascists when they stand up to a bigot is so classy. You should get a job with his campaign, you'd fit right in with his particular brand of politics. I think membership in the League of the South or the Sons of Confederate Veterans gets you fast-tracked for the real import jobs, too.

Not trolling, just a coincidence I found your post in this thread. But given our exchange in the other forum, I could see why you'd seek to flatter yourself. You need to get over yourself though. It's not always about you. Try not to be so emotional. You might have to insult yourself as a result.

Yes, because calling people fascists when they stand up to a bigot is so classy. You should get a job with his campaign, you'd fit right in with his particular brand of politics. I think membership in the League of the South or the Sons of Confederate Veterans gets you fast-tracked for the real import jobs, too.

Not trolling, just a coincidence I found your post in this thread. But given our exchange in the other forum, I could see why you'd seek to flatter yourself. You need to get over yourself though. It's not always about you. Try not to be so emotional. You might have to insult yourself as a result.

Sorry, I'm not privy to all the new ****. So now taking whatever action you can to silence those whose views you disagree with is no longer fascism, but rather, it's the heroic act of standing up to bigots? I learn something new every day.

Sorry, I'm not privy to all the new ****. So now taking whatever action you can to silence those whose views you disagree with is no longer fascism, but rather, it's the heroic act of standing up to bigots? I learn something new every day.

You aren't so naive as to think that commercial enterprises aren't going to take actions like these, are you? Trump's comments crossed the line and you're questioning a company's desire not to be associated as a result? That's being fascist? Like other words you've used the last few days, I don't think fascist means what you think it does.

None of these actions taken by these companies "silences" Donald Trump. Were that we were so lucky, though. Well, most of us anyway. I understand that he has a core constituency to cater to.

And standing up to bigots isn't heroic. It's simply the right thing to do. Your penchant for over-dramatization is something else.

You aren't so naive as to think that commercial enterprises aren't going to take actions like these, are you? Trump's comments crossed the line and you're questioning a company's desire not to be associated as a result? That's being fascist? Like other words you've used the last few days, I don't think fascist means what you think it does.

None of these actions taken by these companies "silences" Donald Trump. Were that we were so lucky, though. Well, most of us anyway. I understand that he has a core constituency to cater to.

And standing up to bigots isn't heroic. It's simply the right thing to do. Your penchant for over-dramatization is something else.

It doesn't hold a candle to your penchant for being a sanctimonious prick.

And 1. this didn't happen in a vacuum, and 2. no one would have held NBC responsible for Trump's comments.

And I'm consistent on this regardless of who the speaker is. It's an area where I agree with Bill Maher. This business of pulling the plug on anyone who says something you don't like is just an end around to silencing unpopular speech. It's no different from book burnings. It really doesn't hurt Trump because he's rich enough that this is just a small speed bump to him, but this has become the new norm whenever someone says something politically incorrect. But as a disciple of political correctness I don't doubt you support it.

It doesn't hold a candle to your penchant for being a sanctimonious prick.

And 1. this didn't happen in a vacuum, and 2. no one would have held NBC responsible for Trump's comments.

And I'm consistent on this regardless of who the speaker is. It's an area where I agree with Bill Maher. This business of pulling the plug on anyone who says something you don't like is just an end around to silencing unpopular speech. It's no different from book burnings. It really doesn't hurt Trump because he's rich enough that this is just a small speed bump to him, but this has become the new norm whenever someone says something politically incorrect. But as a disciple of political correctness I don't doubt you support it.

You are a piece of work. But when a person like you calls someone a sanctimonious prick, it can only be taken as a compliment. A badge of honor.

As for 1. and 2. and the rest of it:

This isn't Donald Trump speaking his mind off the cuff like he's done a million times before and all the while enjoying money for himself and the networks. It was never a problem before. So why is he being held accountable now?

Because it's Donald Trump: CANDIDATE FOR THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE PHUCKING LAND!

Like it or not, oh grand defender of all that is righteous, he is being held to a different standard simply because he is running for office and the higher profile that engenders. Tossing out a string of bigoted remarks about Mexicans has a whole new price as a result.

Let's not conflate Bill Maher's condemnation of politically correct college audiences which have made many comedians rethink about performing on that circuit with remarks made by a presidential candidate. A college audience SHOULD be a place for comedians to crack jokes about Mexicans and every stereotype about any subject. It's called SATIRE.

Presidential candidates making public speeches? No. It's not even close to the same thing. One doesn't have to be a disciple of anything but common sense to know the difference.

You are a piece of work. But when a person like you calls someone a sanctimonious prick, it can only be taken as a compliment. A badge of honor.

As for 1. and 2. and the rest of it:

This isn't Donald Trump speaking his mind off the cuff like he's done a million times before and all the while enjoying money for himself and the networks. It was never a problem before. So why is he being held accountable now?

Because it's Donald Trump: CANDIDATE FOR THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE PHUCKING LAND!

Like it or not, oh grand defender of all that is righteous, he is being held to a different standard simply because he is running for office and the higher profile that engenders. Tossing out a string of bigoted remarks about Mexicans has a whole new price as a result.

Let's not conflate Bill Maher's condemnation of politically correct college audiences which have made many comedians rethink about performing on that circuit with remarks made by a presidential candidate. A college audience SHOULD be a place for comedians to crack jokes about Mexicans and every stereotype about any subject. It's called SATIRE.

Presidential candidates making public speeches? No. It's not even close to the same thing. One doesn't have to be a disciple of anything but common sense to know the difference.

That wasn't what I was referencing about Bill Maher, and plenty of people get this treatment who aren't running for office. Maher himself lost his job on Politically Incorrect for saying muslims who were willing to die for their cause weren't cowards. That wasn't really about political correctness per se, but it's the same principle. He said something that offended people on an emotional level and so he had to be punished...and silenced. It's a concerted effort to punish unpopular speech. It may not be protected by the first amendment because it's not the government doing the silencing/punishment, put it ultimately has the same effect.

FWIW, I thought it was bull **** that ESPN fired that black guy for calling RGIII a "cornbread brother" which was really an anti-white racist comment. I thought the suspension of Bill Simmons was bull **** too even though I thought he was an idiot. Juan Williams was fired for saying that he gets nervous when he's on a plane with muslims. Paula Deen was destroyed just for admitting she'd used "the N word" over 20 years ago. The list goes on and on.

It's a little tangential, but this article talks about how a girl made an off color joke, probably in poor taste, but without much thought, and was ruined for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?_r=0

I think when people are confident in their beliefs they're comfortable with open discourse with the belief that when all the ideas are out on the table that reason will win out. That may be idealistic, but I think it's preferable to the alternative. There's a reason we nearly universally agree that freedom of speech is a good thing. The way we're allowing political correctness to stifle unpopular speech has the same chilling effect on open discourse that we were trying to avoid.

That wasn't what I was referencing about Bill Maher, and plenty of people get this treatment who aren't running for office. Maher himself lost his job on Politically Incorrect for saying muslims who were willing to die for their cause weren't cowards. That wasn't really about political correctness per se, but it's the same principle. He said something that offended people on an emotional level and so he had to be punished...and silenced. It's a concerted effort to punish unpopular speech. It may not be protected by the first amendment because it's not the government doing the silencing/punishment, put it ultimately has the same effect.

FWIW, I thought it was bull **** that ESPN fired that black guy for calling RGIII a "cornbread brother" which was really an anti-white racist comment. I thought the suspension of Bill Simmons was bull **** too even though I thought he was an idiot. Juan Williams was fired for saying that he gets nervous when he's on a plane with muslims. Paula Deen was destroyed just for admitting she'd used "the N word" over 20 years ago. The list goes on and on.

It's a little tangential, but this article talks about how a girl made an off color joke, probably in poor taste, but without much thought, and was ruined for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?_r=0

I think when people are confident in their beliefs they're comfortable with open discourse with the belief that when all the ideas are out on the table that reason will win out. That may be idealistic, but I think it's preferable to the alternative. There's a reason we nearly universally agree that freedom of speech is a good thing. The way we're allowing political correctness to stifle unpopular speech has the same chilling effect on open discourse that we were trying to avoid.

I don't disagree with one word in this post.

I would only add that you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out that this wasn't the government silencing Trump. I'd join you on the steps of the Capitol in protest if the government ever thought to meddle, too. I think it was simply a market response.

I come from the Lenny Bruce school of thought on words. When we are free to use them, particularly with malice, once they've been used too much, they lose their sting and ability to hurt and insult. We were making a ton of headway in the 70s but we've lost something since.

When great works like Huckleberry Finn are no longer taught because of the "N" word, we've caused far more damage than use of the word ever could. And a helluva teaching lesson in the process.

I don't disagree with one word in this post.

I would only add that you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out that this wasn't the government silencing Trump. I'd join you on the steps of the Capitol in protest if the government ever thought to meddle, too. I think it was simply a market response.

I come from the Lenny Bruce school of thought on words. When we are free to use them, particularly with malice, once they've been used too much, they lose their sting and ability to hurt and insult. We were making a ton of headway in the 70s but we've lost something since.

When great works like Huckleberry Finn are no longer taught because of the "N" word, we've caused far more damage than use of the word ever could. And a helluva teaching lesson in the process.

To common ground

:beer:

And I'm consistent on this regardless of who the speaker is. It's an area where I agree with Bill Maher. This business of pulling the plug on anyone who says something you don't like is just an end around to silencing unpopular speech.

How on earth is a man whose farts are national news being silenced?

Mike Rowe had a post on the flag topic thats getting lots of shares around social media. a couple lines i think cut deep in the issue at hand.

Hey Mike - Just wondering about your feelings on the confederate flag thing. How do you feel when you see one? Do you feel it should come down? Do you feel like its a symbol of hate, or a symbol of independence?

Jason Frank

Hi Jason,

The Confederate Battle Flag makes me feel angry. It reminds me of The KKK. I hate The KKK. Consequently, the sight of that flag makes me want to travel back in time, long before the Klan came together, find the original Grand Wizard, and beat him to death with a golf club.

Swastikas also make me angry. They remind me of Nazis. I really hate Nazis. Consequently, whenever I see a swastika, I want to travel back in time, find Hitler long before he came to power, and beat him to death with a golf club too.

I know its irrational to allow talismans of evil to fill me with fantasies of time-traveling violence, but Im a human being. I have no control over my feelings, or what triggers them. Fortunately though, I also have a brain. Its a modest brain, but it functions in a way that allows me to acknowledge my feelings without being guided by them. Thanks to my brain, I came to realize that my feelings - while endlessly important to me - are surprisingly unpersuasive to everyone else. Consequently, while Id love to tell you more about how I feel, Im going to try instead to tell you what I think.

I think we need to be very careful about congratulating ourselves too enthusiastically for removing a piece of cloth from the public square - even if its removal is long overdue. I also think we need to stop calling people racist, just because they see the flag as something other than a symbol of hate. This is what happens when we put a premium on our feelings. We assume everyone who disagrees with us is not merely wrong, but dangerous.

I know many good Southerners who abhor racism, but view this flag as an important connection to their ancestors - the vast majority of whom never owned slaves. This doesnt mean the flag should be allowed to fly on public property - not for a minute. But its a mistake in my view, to equate the removal of a symbol, with the removal of the evil its come to symbolize. And thats exactly what a lot of people are doing. Were conflating cause and effect.

For instance, we look at that picture of Dylan Roof, and we see a bigot who appears to have fallen off the cover of American Racist Quarterly. Hes got the whole package - vapid stare, dopey haircut, fancy apartheid patches, and of course, the Confederate Battle Flag. Were repulsed, and yet, we also feel relief, because now we understand exactly what he is - hes a racist, plain and simple. Now, all we have to do is eliminate the hatred that drove him to murder.

Sadly, we have no idea how to do that. Nor can we go back in time to introduce his head to a golf club, and save us all the agony of his cowardly act. So what do we do? We target his accessories. We focus on the accoutrements of bigotry, and assign them magical powers.

By all means - lets take the flag down. Its long past time. But lets not fool ourselves. Racism and terrorism and all the other hate-filled "-isms" that plague the species will never be eliminated by banning flags, burning books, limiting speech, or outlawing white sheets and pointy little hats. When Dylan Roof walked into The First Emanuel Church and killed nine black Americans, he wasnt waving his rebel flag or screaming the N-word. He didnt look like a racist. He didnt act like a racist. Until he started killing people.

That's the problem with people in white sheets and pointy hats. They dont always dress the part, or carry the proper flag.

Edited by NoSaint