Bills' Organized Team Activities Week 3: June 8-11

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you’re looking at this all wrong. IMO, Greg Roman wants either Manuel or Taylor’s starting because they both have the ability to scare defenses with their wheels. If you add a mobile QB in the mix on offense with guys like Watkins, Harvin, Clay and McCoy…you have the ability to actually scare a defense till the final tick of the clock. If Cassel were a much better passer than either Manuel or Taylor then there'd be something to what you're suggesting, but that's not the case.
IMO Cassel was always the emergency parachute QB who would take over if Manuel and Taylor just play horribly bad. IMO he is a guy who’s time has come and gone and he’s on NFL backup QB career cruise control now. I have nothing but his stats and career path after he was benched for Brady Quinn to go by, but that’s how I’ve always felt about Cassel after he was signed here.

I think you're right about what Roman would prefer, but not necessarily for the "wheels" reason. I think it's simpler than that.

Both are young guys (same age - 25) and their ceiling is yet to be determined. It's no secret that QB typically improve with actual NFL experience.

Cassel is our "floor". He was acquired, not necessarily to be the emergency parachute, but to set the baseline of play at "competent NFL QB", which is what he is especially in a run-heavy offense.

If either of the young guns look as though they are in the same ballpark of "get it done" once the pads go on and the pace picks up, they will get the nod because there is a chance they can improve with experience. If neither of them look as though they are able to meet Cassel's baseline, they sit.

Cassel will stay, in case of injury. Whaley has already said we can keep 3 QB. Unless one of the young guns outright sucks by the end of preseason, they stay too.

TE Clay unaffected by big contract
Bills TE Charles Clay got a big contract as Buffalo was able to pry him away from division rival Miami this offseason. A former sixth-round pick, Clay is in new territory with a fat contract. However, the versatile tight end maintains that the way he plays will be unaffected by a big money deal.

I think Tyrod could be the veteran presence and he's a lot cheaper.

As for Darby, everything I read about him made him like the best cover corner in the draft. Not sure why he slipped to the mid 2nd round. But it's the Bills' gain.

I enjoy that he's both our veteran presence and the guy with 30 career passes. No contradiction there.

Rich Gannon?

Heck, Tom Brady was a 6th. Why even discuss what's normal when we might have a winning lotto ticket to retire with.

2015 Season Preview – Buffalo Bills

By Greg Gabriel - National Football Post

Between Ryan and general manager Doug Whaley, the Bills made some outstanding personnel moves and now hope to challenge for a playoff spot for the first time in years. While playing in the AFC East won’t be easy, on paper, the Bills look like they have a chance. They are strong at just about every position except the most important one: quarterback.

Thurman: Taking the Defense From Great to Elite (13:34)
Bills defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman joined The John Murphy Show to discuss the talent on defensive side of the ball, next month's Training Camp, and the goal for the defense in 2015.

6 players under the radar going into minicamp

Which of these relatively unknown players have done enough so far to warrant another look in the upcoming minicamp?

Greg Gabriel: Bills 2015 Season Preview (17:05)

Greg Gabriel, former NFL Scout and now contributor to National Football Post joined The John Murphy Show to discuss his Bills season preview and his thoughts as he runs down this year's roster.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@salmaiorana

In the newest edition of SalSpeak, I talk about the #Bills RBs. Hear what I said about McCoy, Fred, Boobie, Brown https://soundcloud.com/sal-maiorana-bills/rbs

@salmaiorana

Brains just as important as brawn for #Bills rookie John Miller. Here's my story on the 3rd-round pick. http://on.rocne.ws/1S8m1H2

via @DandC