Quality of Bills Coaching Staff

eball

Great thread. Yes, as there is not a salary cap on coaches, that is an area to get a distinct advantage. When $ is not an issue. Unfortunately this is where Bills could not compete before Pegula. Sadly this is the common denominator over the past 15 years. Psyched to be on the other side of that now.

Go Bills!

Bills have had plenty of good coaches. We had a top Special Teams coach and he was run out of town. Rusty Jones was the top conditioning coach in the league. Joe D'Alessandris was and is one of the best OL coaches in the business.

The problem has been two things:

1. Ralph's bean counter who fortunately is not involved anymore. Ralph listened to him a lot which was unfortunate.
  2. Frequent coaching changes where coaches just dumped the baby with the bath water and did not even appear to give assistant coaches an interview. This burnt a lot of money, money which could have been used to improve team and the GMs should have insisted incoming head coaches look at current staff first making the understand there is a cap to money which can be spent even if there is no salary cap.

Plenty of money was spent on facilities, doctors, etc.

I've asked this question before...

The salary cap forces each team to pay similar amounts to players. However, were the Bills before Pegula always trying to get away with spending less on other facets of the franchise, such as coaches' salaries?

I believe that now that they are willing to spend more, the Bills fans will soon be seeing the difference in the win/loss record.

The HC and OC are markedly better than their predecessors. I my mind, that relates to the fact they've performed well at the job they were hired to do here.

It's a slightly different scenario, but Dan Snyder tried to spend big on coaches over 10 years ago and it didn't work. Here, one would expect NFL types like Rex and Roman would have game-plans to use their talent better than people like Marrone and Hackett.

I`ll grade them after the season. Seen this smoke and mirrors act many,many times. Some are slow to learn. Show me,talk is cheap.

yep. If no QB emerges, this will be a very frustrating season. Look for 8 in the box from day 1. then we will see. hoping for the best. go bills.

Edited by 8and8Forever

yep. If no QB emerges, this will be a very frustrating season. Look for 8 in the box from day 1. then we will see. hoping for the best. go bills.

even if we line up 5 wide? That will make things very easy for the offense, don't you think?

Well, it is a "these aren't your father's Bills staffers" kind of thread.

I asked about if they were actually being paid more. I don't really know. I'd like to see the numbers to compare. I assume that's what your thread is about.

As for the caliber of the staff, most seem to be recently the Jets staff, plus Roman. Maybe they will produce great results, but I bet Jets fans (and some 49ers fans) aren't as impresed with our coaching staff.

If they were impressed they would still be on THEIR teams coaching staffs.......

This is the thing that im my opinion gets overlooked time and time again........

If a coach was doing well (Unless his HC gets canned and a new regime comes in and completely cleans house) then quality coaches very seldom are allowed to leave and move onto some other team to improve that team

I equate it to quality QBs......if a team has a good QB they are not going to let them get away in free agency....they are going to do whatever it takes to keep that QB....same with good coaches

So how does a good coach become available.....simple....the team loses even though they did their jobs well......then you see those coaches assemble some other place in a situation where they are supported by ownership and bam....magically mysteriously the team is better

I TRULY believe that all of this stems to the offensive line and its coaching......if a QB has time to throw the ball then he will look like a better QB......

Along the same lines, I've said for many years the team would save a ton of money and have a better team if they would put out top dollar for proven personnel people who could assess players with some level of consistency.

Instead, they've wasted multi-millions on 1st round gambles like Eric Flowers, Mike Williams, Aaron Maybin, and many others in who never amounted to much on the field. The difference with perennial winners like the Steelers and Patriots is they've historically had great talent evaluators who make the most of early picks and find starters in later rounds.

Well, it is a "these aren't your father's Bills staffers" kind of thread.

I asked about if they were actually being paid more. I don't really know. I'd like to see the numbers to compare. I assume that's what your thread is about.

As for the caliber of the staff, most seem to be recently the Jets staff, plus Roman. Maybe they will produce great results, but I bet Jets fans (and some 49ers fans) aren't as impresed with our coaching staff.

The thread is about hiring coaches in key positions who are not first-timers or retreads; they have a track record of performance and are valued commodities around the league.

Of course Rex would bring a number of assistants with him from the Jets; on the defensive side of the ball I don't know why anyone would have a problem with that, and again, that's not the point.

Roman isn't from the Jets. Kromer isn't from the Jets. Those are huge additions that far surpass anything the Bills have had at those two key spots in some time, on the side of the ball where they have struggled mightily.