All-22: The 3 R's of Percy Harvin

I don't think Easley or Hogan make the team. Goodwin is a perfect slot companion to Harvin. They could both be on the field at the same time and create terrible match up problems with Watkins/Woods outside - especially if they line up Harvin in the backfield. Easley only makes the team if they carry six. He has no value as a WR. I would be just as happy if Dezmin Lewis makes the team and gets a few plays a game. I think they will carry an extra LB and Safety to play ST's instead of keeping Easley as a 6th WR.

We just re-signed Easley to a 4 year deal. I think you underestimate how important he is perceived for ST.

We have a bigger cap hit if we cut him than keep him.

You've got to look beyond this season as well when considering who he might push off the team. Harvin is only on a one year deal which is disguised as a three year contract. If he performs as well as we hope, stays healthy and is a good teammate, then he is going to get paid handsomely come next offseason. I don't know that the Bills will be willing and able to pony up like that. It will be tough looking at where they are with the cap.

Barring a season ending injury I see them carrying 6 with Dez Lewis heading to the PS.

Edited by BarleyNY

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per OTC Harvin's contract extends for 3 years, but the final 2 years are "voidable". What does "voidable" mean in this context? Voidable by Harvin? By the Bills? By both sides? If a contract is voidable by both sides, what's the point?

http://overthecap.com/player/percy-harvin/1554

i believe the bills (obviously harvin would love the big pay day).

and the point is amortizing the signing bonus over 3 years so they only have to account for 1/3 today.

i believe the bills (obviously harvin would love the big pay day).

and the point is amortizing the signing bonus over 3 years so they only have to account for 1/3 today.

Yes. The Bills have the right to void the deal after the first year. He's effectively on a one year $6M deal. For salary cap purposes the Bills have $4M on the books for 2015 and will have $2M in dead money in 2016 after the deal is voided.

If he performs, why would the Bills void the contract?

I'm confused why it's considered a one year contract, are they expecting him to suck?

According to the OTC link above his base salary goes from 2.9 this year to 9m in 2016 and 9m in 2017. Cap hits are 4m-10m-10m. Considering the players we need to re-sign, and Watkins and Woods being here, Harvin would need to have one heck of a 2015 in order to even open a debate.

If he performs, why would the Bills void the contract?

I'm confused why it's considered a one year contract, are they expecting him to suck?

If they don't void the deal he will be due an additional $9M in 2016 and 2017. Cap hits would be $4M this year and $10M in 2016 and 2017.

Everything I've seen has the voiding as a certainty. The Bills probably won't be able to afford him at the higher price - especially after Dareus gets a new deal. Harvin has created problems with teams in several instances so if he thinks he outperformed the $9M a year salary he would be due, then it is a fair bet he'd make sure he hit the market or got a new deal in conjunction with a trade or release. There is a very, very small chance that everything comes together and the Bills don't void the deal. The Bills would have to be able to pay Harvin $9M a year, they'd have to believe he is worth that much and Harvin would have to be willing to play for it. That's just not all going to happen.

I'm curious if we choose not to void the deal after 2015, does that mean we're committing to 18m over two years? Or would we have another chance to void after 2016? Nine million seems easier to swallow when it's a year by year thing and you can get out without penalty.

I do not know that answer. I would think he still could be cut, but I am not sure what kind of guarantees kick in if the contract is not voided. Also I would like to know if voiding the contract would effectively make it an expiring contract and could result in the Bills getting a compensatory pick. Or if it would be considered the same as cutting the player.

I'm curious if we choose not to void the deal after 2015, does that mean we're committing to 18m over two years? Or would we have another chance to void after 2016? Nine million seems easier to swallow when it's a year by year thing and you can get out without penalty.

without insider knowledge, im guessing little if any of the 2017 salary would be guaranteed, so in theory, the only hit down the line would be the signing bonus money (2m if cut after 1 year, 1m hit if cut after year 2).

again, just spitballing on league norms here, but i would guess harvins camp would want the current year salary guaranteed around the start of the league year so he would not miss out on the free agency frenzy if the bills release him, but i doubt that even if they keep him for 2016 that 2017 would have any commitment.