New Rules - footballs

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just asking but would you want a basketball home team taking some air out of a hoop ball because of their point guard, or a soccer team taking some air out of a soccer ball if they were more defensive than their opponent? Granted, I don't think it's a huge issue either but there does need to be some rules. No one has complained about the 12.5 - 13.5 for 75 years. Until Brady.

in those, both teams are using the same equipment, while in the nfl guys can use their own.

also, just because he was the first to be publicly hit with this doesnt by any stretch imply he is the first to do it.

So, have the manufacturer break them in (or even have them not put the shiny stuff on the ball in the first place). Tumble them in X for Y amount of time. Every ball treated the same before it is shipped to the NFL. This isn't rocket surgery, but, the NFL will get it wrong.

hey, we agree!

hey, we agree!

have to admit that I didn't read through the thread so I didn't see your post or I would have quoted it.

Let's see, I think this is the third time in 2015 and it's not even June yet! We could set new personal bests! :D

have to admit that I didn't read through the thread so I didn't see your post or I would have quoted it.

Let's see, I think this is the third time in 2015 and it's not even June yet! We could set new personal bests! :D

haha - were getting there!

but yea, there are plenty of easy solutions, but i think the one constant we can count on is the nfl will somehow miss the mark with it.

Now, we learned the perfect gas law is pv=nRT. I am wondering at what temperature the balls must be in the specified range. Since game temperatures range from perhaps 90F to 0F in a normal year....the pressure varies with the absolute temperature. So, do you let the balls soak outside before inflating (outside) to get the right pressure.....or do you do that at 70F in the locker room...and let them cool off outside. That would result in pressures below the range suggested. Anyhow, they better get more scientific about it........and, for what its worth...letting the home team switch out balls to their liking has to stop. The deflate gate testing ,as I recall only showed one or two balls at low pressure....likely to be put in the game when Tom Terrific was chucking. Of course, the Colts linebacker got the INT, and said "this ball is soft". The rest is history......and the shouting is just getting started. Oh well, I like the Bills situation in this, that is UNINVOLVED.

haha - were getting there!

but yea, there are plenty of easy solutions, but i think the one constant we can count on is the nfl will somehow miss the mark with it.

That's the thing, they will screw it up. The more that this is left in the hands of teams (supplying the gauge, breaking in the balls etc) the more rules will be stretched and broken. This is so easy to fix but they'll miss the mark.

That's the thing, they will screw it up. The more that this is left in the hands of teams (supplying the gauge, breaking in the balls etc) the more rules will be stretched and broken. This is so easy to fix but they'll miss the mark.

Agreed. So obvious how to prevent these issues but the NFL always seems to allow ample wiggle room for cheating.

I'm just asking but would you want a basketball home team taking some air out of a hoop ball because of their point guard, or a soccer team taking some air out of a soccer ball if they were more defensive than their opponent? Granted, I don't think it's a huge issue either but there does need to be some rules. No one has complained about the 12.5 - 13.5 for 75 years. Until Brady.

Soccer and basketball share the balls the whole game.

But it's not about complaining about the ball pressure. It's about a certain feel every QB prefers. Look, at some mimimum pressure, the ball becomes unthrowable, so we are really only talking about a very tight range of preferred PSI here. Why doesn't the league simply lower the lower minimum to 11? It picked 12.5 for reasons unknown, why not lower it to allow for different preferences--and raise the maximum to allow for guys like Rodgers to have it how he likes it.

This seems a very simple solution. This "problem" only exists because there is an artificial restriction on the ball pressure that is historically based only.

Anyone suggesting no scuffing... .have any of you guys played with new balls? There's a coating on a just-out-of-the-box ball that makes it terribly slick.

I don't think the game of football was ever meant to be played with a new slippery ball. Balls have always been broken in.

If the NFL stops allowing teams to break balls in, Wilson will have to find a way to make balls that are pre-broken in and not so slick.

they have 2 hours to "rub it out" before returning the balls to the refs

really how long does it take to scrub 12 balls?