(OT) More debt for college students

Fezmid

How awful that students who are getting an education thanks to grants or loans from other people would be asked to contribute such mighty sums ($2?) to allow others to have the same opportunity. :doh:

And I must have missed the part where they said the donations were compulsory.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/02/07/un...s.ap/index.html

Let's force undergrads to not only go into major dept PAYING for their tuition, but ask them to donate even more so that they can go further into debt.  At the same time, we'll increase tuition 10% a year.

CW

233323[/snapback]

97.6% of the money I paid back to my student loans last year was interest. Of the thousands I repaid, 2.4% went towards the actual loan. Can't wait for 2045 when they are paid off....

that is basically what pataki made SUNY students do... plus he cut my schools budget. So i am paying more for less :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: It is rediculous how much he has screwed colleges over in the past 10 years.

Brockport is so underfunded that in 03 we approved a recreation center referendum where our student gov't fee's cover 10 million over so many years and the state pays 20 million. The state has yet to even vote on this and it was originally supposed to be finished by Fall '06

I fail to see where this is a story. An institution is asking for a charitable contribution. How is this any different from the Red Cross holding a blood drive. You are being asked to give of yourself to help others. If you decide not to give, that is your choice and you face no repercussions. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

Again, where is the problem?

I fail to see where this is a story. An institution is asking for a charitable contribution. How is this any different from the Red Cross holding a blood drive. You are being asked to give of yourself to help others. If you decide not to give, that is your choice and you face no repercussions. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

233349[/snapback]

State college students are usually broke and they are asking for donations from these students <_< that is very unrealistic as many would not be in state schools if they could afford (myself included)

State college students are usually broke and they are asking for donations from these students <_< that is very unrealistic as many would not be in state schools if they could afford (myself included)

233353[/snapback]

So don't donate. Again, where is the major story here?

233349[/snapback]

Not only "where is the problem?" but as you say "where is the story?" My campus always had people trying to raise money...a buck here or two bucks there...for a number of causes. Why this deserves a story is beyond me.

97.6% of the money I paid back to my student loans last year was interest. Of the thousands I repaid, 2.4% went towards the actual loan.  Can't wait for 2045 when they are paid off....

233332[/snapback]

student loan interest rates are like 3%...how are you paying all that interest...did you go to Fredonia Med school

97.6% of the money I paid back to my student loans last year was interest. Of the thousands I repaid, 2.4% went towards the actual loan.  Can't wait for 2045 when they are paid off....

233332[/snapback]

Overpay the minimum payment by whatever you can afford to start tackling the principal, and saving you thousands on interest down the road.

Not only "where is the problem?" but as you say "where is the story?" My campus always had people trying to raise money...a buck here or two bucks there...for a number of causes. Why this deserves a story is beyond me.

233359[/snapback]

Exactly. You pick and choose who you donate to or if you donate at all.

233353[/snapback]

That was addressed in the story. Part of the idea is to get students involved in the giving process (even at a very low level) in the hopes that they will continue after graduation when they presumably will have more money.

That was addressed in the story.  Part of the idea is to get students involved in the giving process (even at a very low level) in the hopes that they will continue after graduation when they presumably will have more money.

233383[/snapback]

the point I am making is that after we graduate we are more likely to contribute upon request as we will have the money that we don't have now

233332[/snapback]

I guess you have never heard of an annuity loan. It is typical for this type of loan to pay a constant amount of money a month, the so-called annuity,: In the early years, annuitites mainly consist of interest rate re-payments, whereas in later years the percentage of repayment of the face value increases.

However, one should not confuse the fact that over 90% of the early annutities consist of insterest payments with the statment that the loan has an interest rate of 90%.

the point I am making is that after we graduate we are more likely to contribute upon request as we will have the money that we don't have now

233386[/snapback]

Exactly. And I find it irresponsible for the University to be asking for the money in the first place. Shouldn't the student put that $2 towards their OWN education first?

The blood drive isn't a good comparison, because blood is free. In a time when a large percentage of our country is in heavy debt, why try guilting people into going deeper into debt?

I have no problem with the schools asking alumni for money; but undergrads? If you have a job and are paying taxes, you're ALREADY donating money to tye school.

I just find it tacky, tasteless and irresponsible.

CW

233332[/snapback]

Maybe you should have borrowed a little more and taken a finance class! <_<<_<

student loan interest rates are like 3%...how are you paying all that interest...did you go to Fredonia Med school

233362[/snapback]

All I know is that 90+% of every payment i make so far (and I started with the lowest monthly payments) goes to the interest. Once I made a late payment, and 100% of that payment went to the interest. Not one dime went to the principle.

All I know is that 90+% of every payment i make so far (and I started with the lowest monthly payments) goes to the interest. Once I made a late payment, and 100% of that payment went to the interest. Not one dime went to the principle.

233404[/snapback]

you need to refinance that loan yesterday

American Psycho is one fo my favorite movies, glad to see soemone else likes it!  The facial expressions and gestures of Pat Bateman are classic in that movie.  If viewed in a comedic way it is a hilarious movie!

233425[/snapback]

This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite. <_<

I hope I never come across a Dr. from Fredonia Med School!

(yes I know there isn't one...thank god).

Exactly.  And I find it irresponsible for the University to be asking for the money in the first place.  Shouldn't the student put that $2 towards their OWN education first?

The blood drive isn't a good comparison, because blood is free.  In a time when a large percentage of our country is in heavy debt, why try guilting people into going deeper into debt?

I have no problem with the schools asking alumni for money; but undergrads?  If you have a job and are paying taxes, you're ALREADY donating money to tye school.

I just find it tacky, tasteless and irresponsible.

CW

233401[/snapback]

Irresponsible is a little harsh, don't you think? Again, nobody is forcing anyone into doing anything. This is a charitable drive for a scholarship. What's the big deal?

It is irresponsible to care about other people. Didn't you know that?

233482[/snapback]

This has nothing to do with caring for other people.

It's irresponsible to increase tuition 10-20% a year, and then turn around and ask for a voluntary donation that will put the students even further in debt.

It's especially ludicrous when there are probably quite a few programs that could be axed to save a bunch of money. For example, at the University of Minnesota there's a "General College" program. You know what it is? It's a program for people who aren't good enough to get into the "regular" college. Basically, a way for students who sucked in high school to be able to pump up their grades and then apply to get into the regular program. That program sucks a TON of money from the U, but it wasn't cut because people were crying that the "less priviledged need to go to school too." Guess what? Go to a technical college. Go to a two year program. Why should the college support mediocrity when there are other options that those types of students can use? But it was never cut, and tuition was consantly raised, a large portion which was used to keep GC up and running. At least they didn't have the audacity to ask me for a donation while I was going to school as well.

It's obvious that you've been out of college for awhile.

CW

This has nothing to do with caring for other people.

It's irresponsible to increase tuition 10-20% a year, and then turn around and ask for a voluntary donation that will put the students even further in debt.

It's especially ludicrous when there are probably quite a few programs that could be axed to save a bunch of money.  For example, at the University of Minnesota there's a "General College" program.  You know what it is?  It's a program for people who aren't good enough to get into the "regular" college.  Basically, a way for students who sucked in high school to be able to pump up their grades and then apply to get into the regular program.  That program sucks a TON of money from the U, but it wasn't cut because people were crying that the "less priviledged need to go to school too."  Guess what?  Go to a technical college.  Go to a two year program.  Why should the college support mediocrity when there are other options that those types of students can use?  But it was never cut, and tuition was consantly raised, a large portion which was used to keep GC up and running.  At least they didn't have the audacity to ask me for a donation while I was going to school as well.

It's obvious that you've been out of college for awhile.

CW

233505[/snapback]

It's two friggin dollars. About the average cost of one beer. You are trying to imply that two friggin dollars is somehow going to bankrupt these students and there is no possible way that they will be able to recover from voluntarily donating these two friggin dollars.

For what it is worth I am in school right now, so your last statement does not carry much weight.

It's two friggin dollars. About the average cost of one beer. You are trying to imply that two friggin dollars is somehow going to bankrupt these students and there is no possible way that they will be able to recover from voluntarily donating these two friggin dollars.

For what it is worth I am in school right now, so your last statement does not carry much weight.

233517[/snapback]

You're in school right now, but I doubt you're 21 and broke. My wife's doing her MBA program right now, but it's not the same as when you first start an undergrad program.

Yes, it's $2. What's your point? If I buy a ticket to a movie, I don't expect the theater to then ask for for $2 so that they can buy a new screen. If I buy a ticket to an amusement park, I don't expect the park to ask me for $2 before every ride. I never said it'd bankrupt anyone, but considering how much debt the students are already in, asking them to give even more (on top of the yearly tuition increases of 10-20%) is just assinine.

CW

You're in school right now, but I doubt you're 21 and broke.

Yes, it's $2.  What's your point?  If I buy a ticket to a movie, I don't expect the theater to then ask for for $2 so that they can buy a new screen.  If I buy a ticket to an amusement park, I don't expect the park to ask me for $2 before every ride.  I never said it'd bankrupt anyone, but considering how much debt the students are already in, asking them to give even more (on top of the yearly tuition increases of 10-20%) is just assinine.

CW

233519[/snapback]

Which is why they invented the word NO. If you do not want to donate, don't donate. It seems like a pretty basic concept, even for college students.

I do not see how this is different from any other charity drive. I remember my college days, when fraternities and sororities would go through the dorms trying to raise money to help others. I do not remember a CNN crew following them around. I also remember plenty of charities that set up booths to raise money. Again, no cameras from any major news network.

So again, how is it irresponsible to set up a booth to donate money to help the less fortunate?

back in my college days...i once brought back cans to the store, to get a $4 refund...deposited that $ into my checking account...which had $7 in it..so I could get it over $10..that way I could use the ATM and get the Friday night drink special at Mickey Rats city bar....Good times

Not sure what this has to do with anything...but thought it was funny

If I buy a ticket to a movie, I don't expect the theater to then ask for for $2 so that they can buy a new screen. 

233519[/snapback]

Two words: Jimmy Fund

Or Jerry's Kids or whatever. You know that when you see the ushers coming down the aisle with their flashlights you're gonna get hit up for some extra cash. Point is that the theater isn't asking for donations to buy a new screen....its charity. Voluntary.

$2 so that a kid can go to school? Charity. Voluntary.

However, public universities that include mandatory "donations" specifically for the improvement of the campus is kinda crappy. You have tax money and tuition. Budget accordingly. That mandatory donation crap is the kind of stuff that is expected from private schools.

If I buy a ticket to a movie, I don't expect the theater to then ask for for $2 so that they can buy a new screen

actually, everytime I go to the movie somebody comes up the aisle asking for money for charity....which is exactly the same as asking for $2 for a scholarhip.....

back in my college days...i once brought back cans to the store, to get a $4 refund...deposited that $ into my checking account...which had $7 in it..so I could get it over $10..that way I could use the ATM and get the Friday night drink special at Mickey Rats city bar....Good times

233544[/snapback]

Back in my college days there was no such thing as an ATM, so we did what EVERY good college student did: bounced checks.

233544[/snapback]

haha! Tater, I did that SOOO many times. I would just realize that on Friday I would have less than $10 in my pocket, and about $11 - $15 in my checking account, so I would deposit money into the ATM machine, and then immediatly withdraw that money ($20,... inflation)!

But, when we finally took cans back we would get a ton, we once got $62 back.... That's 1240 cans...

We used to throw "can parties". Instead of kegs, we just got 10 or 12 thirty-packs. Everyone would have to come to the bar room to pay, and would get one can of beer. To get another beer, they had to turn in an empty on. Those went into trash bags behind the bar, and the next morning we had MINIMAL clean up (especially those half full warm red-plastic cups...

oh man, I'd kill a man to be able to go back to college for a year.