more cartoons, more shootings....

Geller refers to her meeting as a free-speech event while her critics prefer to call it an anti-Islam event. They are really one and the same.
In today’s circumstances, criticism of Islam is at the vanguard of the fight for free speech, since it is susceptible to attack and intimidation by jihadists and calls for self-censorship by the politically correct.
“Yes, but . . . ” defenses of Geller don’t cut it. She had a perfect right to do what she did, and it’s a condemnation of her enemies — and confirmation of her basic point about radical Islam — that the act of drawing and talking elicited a violent response.
If cartoons of Mohammed may seem a low, petty form of speech, they are only the fault line in a deeper clash of civilizations. A swath of the Muslim world doesn’t just want to ban depictions of Mohammed, but any speech critical of Islam.

Terrorists Attack in Texas. Where Is the President?
The White House responded promptly to the terrorist attacks in Jerusalem in November, in Paris in January, and in Kenya in April. But — except for a brief mention in White House press secretary Josh Earnest’s press gaggle yesterday — Sunday night’s (thankfully foiled) terrorist attack in Garland, Texas, has been met with radio silence.
One of the would-be murderers, Elton Simpson, reportedly tweeted minutes before the attack that he and his fellow assailant had pledged allegiance to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. And according to CNN, the Islamic State is now claiming responsibility for the attack:
In a broadcast on its official radio channel Tuesday, the group said two Al Khilafa soldiers opened fire outside the event in Garland, a Dallas suburb.
Al Khilafa is how ISIS refers to its soldiers. There is no evidence that Simpson or his partner Nadir Soofi were in contact with the terrorist network. But if they did not take direction from the group, they certainly took inspiration.
Given its tendency to aggravate, rather than assuage, I am on most occasions happy with White House silence. But an attempted massacre by Islamic extremists of innocent Americans on American soil? That is not the time to keep quiet.​

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply... You will never regulate poor taste. I am just glad the good guys won this round.

Was it really necessary? Now we have the wack-jobs @ ISIS running around saying they were behind it while the US says: "No you weren't." ISIS: "Yes we were, na, na, na, nas."

Yay gratitutious free speech!

Sure... Say what you want, have a party pooping on whoever... But why poke a hornet's nest when we can just shoot it with some Raid!"

This "in your face stuff" is just counter-productive. If I want counter-productive, I would just hit a Teabagger rally. ;-P

Simply... You will never regulate poor taste. I am just glad the good guys won this round.

Was it really necessary? Now we have the wack-jobs @ ISIS running around saying they were behind it while the US says: "No you weren't." ISIS: "Yes we were, na, na, na, nas."

Yay gratitutious free speech!

Sure... Say what you want, have a party pooping on whoever... But why poke a hornet's nest when we can just shoot it with some Raid!"

This "in your face stuff" is just counter-productive. If I want counter-productive, I would just hit a Teabagger rally. ;-P

Please in your infinite wisdom explain what you mean by a "teabagger" party. Is that some kind of party that you attend where you get another man's sac rubbed in your face? Doesn't seem like much fun to me but if it excites you, go for it.

Please in your infinite wisdom explain what you mean by a "teabagger" party. Is that some kind of party that you attend where you get another man's sac rubbed in your face? Doesn't seem like much fun to me but if it excites you, go for it.

I am not sure? Party? The kind on a boat, dressed up in disguise looking like American Indians?

Hey, whatever floats your boat Rich... If you like getting another man's sac rubbed in your face I guess that is your choice. Sick, but your choice. How you would even know to do that is behind me. Must have been from your Ohio days.

Now, a teabagger rally... Isn't that something where well off malcontents go to complain about the big gov't putting the screws to them? Don't they wear teabags in their hats and shout nasty names and slogans like: Tax Enough Already... I can't afford dinner on me anymore! You know, Baltimore or Ferguson in reverse. Everybody's got their issues I guess.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Now, a teabagger rally... Isn't that something where well off malcontents go to complain about the big gov't putting the screws to them? Don't they wear teabags in their hats and shout nasty names and slogans like: Tax Enough Already... I can't afford dinner on me anymore! You know, Baltimore or Ferguson in reverse. Everybody's got their issues I guess.

You continue to embarrass yourself when you attempt to discuss the TEA Party. You show no insight into the reasons it arose and who it involves,

you just regurgitate cliches and simplistic views.

It stands out from your other reasoned responses.

Back to the thread..............

People who say it’s okay — or at least “understandable” — to go after others who are “provocative” need to remember that a lot of people are exercising more self-restraint than that now.

It would be easy, in our preening gentility, to look down our noses at a Mohammed cartoon contest. But we’d better understand the scope of the threat the contest was meant to raise our attention to — a threat triggered by ideology, not cartoons.

There is in our midst an Islamist movement that wants to suppress not only insults to Islam but all critical examination of Islam.

That movement is delighted to leverage the atmosphere of intimidation created by violent jihadists, and it counts the current United States government among its allies.

You continue to embarrass yourself when you attempt to discuss the TEA Party. You show no insight into the reasons it arose and who it involves,

you just regurgitate cliches and simplistic views.

It stands out from your other reasoned responses.

Back to the thread..............

People who say its okay or at least understandable to go after others who are provocative need to remember that a lot of people are exercising more self-restraint than that now.

It would be easy, in our preening gentility, to look down our noses at a Mohammed cartoon contest. But wed better understand the scope of the threat the contest was meant to raise our attention to a threat triggered by ideology, not cartoons.

There is in our midst an Islamist movement that wants to suppress not only insults to Islam but all critical examination of Islam.

That movement is delighted to leverage the atmosphere of intimidation created by violent jihadists, and it counts the current United States government among its allies.

What did you say? I need a picture!

The White House responded promptly to the terrorist attacks in Jerusalem in November, in Paris in January, and in Kenya in April. But — except for a brief mention in White House press secretary Josh Earnest’s press gaggle yesterday — Sunday night’s (thankfully foiled) terrorist attack in Garland, Texas, has been met with radio silence.

I still say: treat it as crime. Don't give them the privilege of being "terrorists."

if people are murdered over cartoons and any notion of provocation is brought up, you are simply retarded.... its so unbelievable, if it wasnt islam, they would just be called nuts and end of story...

its just amazing to see people pointing fingers at people drawing cartoons

if people are murdered over cartoons and any notion of provocation is brought up, you are simply retarded.... its so unbelievable, if it wasnt islam, they would just be called nuts and end of story...

its just amazing to see people pointing fingers at people drawing cartoons

And there is the thing. It is because it is religion and Islam, the world's second largest religion. Does that deserve a little respect? Especially when it has a long history on how it handles this sort of thing. You do remember the whole Satanic Verses snit it caused.

And there is the thing. It is because it is religion and Islam, the world's second largest religion. Does that deserve a little respect? Especially when it has a long history on how it handles this sort of thing. You do remember the whole Satanic Verses snit it caused.

no belief deserves respect, religious or secular. we respect evidence and reason. do you respect the belief of your mechanic or do you want some proof your mechanical issue was fixed? do you respect the belief that the earth goes around the sun, or do you respect the reasons and evidence to support such a belief. do you respect the belief someone is guilty, or should we respect evidence and reasonable argument. again, this is bs. they are just books, the bible/koran/hadith etc

no belief deserves respect, religious or secular. we respect evidence and reason. do you respect the belief of your mechanic or do you want some proof your mechanical issue was fixed? do you respect the belief that the earth goes around the sun, or do you respect the reasons and evidence to support such a belief. do you respect the belief someone is guilty, or should we respect evidence and reasonable argument. again, this is bs. they are just books, the bible/koran/hadith etc

Faith is built around respect. I hear what you are saying though. They aren't "just books" to some of the faithful. There's a very fine line here.

Again, path of least resistence. Why taunt?

If they were burning the American flag instead of drawing cartoons then people would be told to keep quiet and respect others rights to free speech. The art of Mapplethorpe and Serrano was championed as expressions of free speech and had to be tolerated if we wanted to hold onto our beliefs of a free society.

But that was easy because nobody was coming to kill them for their expression of free speach. It's curious how people stand up for human rights and the constitution when its easy. It's sickening how many are willing to throw their rights away when the going gets tough.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

No. Either nothing is sacred or everything is. It's the same rule that dictates humor.

I've laughed at awful jokes. I've found them hilarious. I wouldn't laugh at a joke that made fun of my religion. But I would never chastise the comic that did.

No. Either nothing is sacred or everything is. It's the same rule that dictates humor.

I've laughed at awful jokes. I've found them hilarious. I wouldn't laugh at a joke that made fun of my religion. But I would never chastise the comic that did.

Yeah... You are hitting on a few good cylinders here. Now, what if your religion ordered you to take offense and defend its honor. Don't get me wrong, I hear what you are saying. IMO, that's the #1 fault with Islam. It's proactive nature. Nothing beats the cornerstone of Christianity: Turn the other cheek. I am not up on Islam, is that even a concept within it? If others can enlighten me, that would be gr8

Again... I understand what you are saying about all or nothing sacred. I feel that way about marriage. Take it right out of the state's hand and make it solely recognized by religion. It should not be recognized as sacred by the state.

Yeah... You are hitting on a few good cylinders here. Now, what if your religion ordered you to take offense and defend its honor. Don't get me wrong, I hear what you are saying. IMO, that's the #1 fault with Islam. It's proactive nature. Nothing beats the cornerstone of Christianity: Turn the other cheek. I am not up on Islam, is that even a concept within it? If others can enlighten me, that would be gr8

Again... I understand what you are saying about all or nothing sacred. I feel that way about marriage. Take it right out of the state's hand and make it solely recognized by religion. It should not be recognized as sacred by the state.

I'm sure that's a concept somewhere in there, but I don't know enough to cite the passage.

I'm sure that's a concept somewhere in there, but I don't know enough to cite the passage.

Not really. "Turn the other cheek" was from the Sermon on the Mount, in the context of "love thy enemy." The Koran has no such concept directly that I know of - the closest it comes is "be fair and just to your enemy" or "accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong if they do evil" (which is actually from one of the hadiths.)

Not that all Muslims necessarily live by that...but then, not even Jesus lived by "turn the other cheek."

Oh hell I would. I love a good joke and I really don't care at whose expense.

Oh hell I would. I love a good joke and I really don't care at whose expense.

Well, maybe a rape victim wouldn't laugh at a rape joke. That was the point I was going for.

If comedians feared offending somebody, comedy would be dead. If you think some "bad" jokes are hilarious, but want to quell anti-religion or any other topic of joke, you're, at best, a hypocrite.

Edited by FireChan