more cartoons, more shootings....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Didn’t Happen Next
by Kevin D Williamson
A couple of ISIS wannabes tried to shoot up an exhibition of cartoons in Garland, Texas, and the police put them down before the civilians could get to them: a triumph for duty and marksmanship.
What didn’t happen next?
There is a mosque in Garland, Texas. It was there yesterday, it’s there today, and it will be there tomorrow. After two radical Muslims attempted to massacre some infidels down the road a bit, there was no angry mob of Texans storming the place with F-350s and rifles. If any vehicle full of armed men rushed to the Muslims’ place of worship, you can be sure that it was the local police exercising an abundance of caution and nothing more.
It’s easy to be snarky–”Oh, yay for us! No massacre, give Texas a cookie!” But only those parochial minds with the narrowest of experience could fail to appreciate how unusual that is in the world.
Instead of retaliation, we have open-handed toleration that verges on the destructive. Pamela Geller seems to me like she might be a very nasty piece of business indeed, but you know who I don’t want to hear about it from? CAIR and the rest of the Muslim Brotherhood fan club.
“Oh, but she was trying to inflame the Muslims!” protest the usual assortment of bed-wetters. Yeah? So, what? Time to put on your big-boy First Amendment pants and buck up, little campers.
Did I miss the suicide bombings at The Book of Mormon, or did they just not happen?
I understand some Quakers really, really resent being used to sell high-fiber breakfast products, too, what with the cartoonish depiction of a ruddy-faced man with an awesome hat and all. And we’ve been inflaming the heck out of the charismatic Christians for a good long while now, but the only terror associated with Joel Osteen is the result of his weaponized dentition.
So, yeah: Texans 2, Jihadists 0. But the unappreciated player here is our uniquely liberal civil society—that, and not the police, is why there is peace on the streets of Garland.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner

CEII2bdUEAAEW9T.jpg

Quakers are Anglo and have been part of the established. Nothing negative about Quaker oats. I always thought it portrayed dignity.

And what about the Mormon past? Say Mountain Meadows Massacre, 1857.

Even worse, there was the whole Mormon Nauvoo printing press snit... :-/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

True...but your trying to reason with people who don't....

Willing to fight? Your missing the point...fight where - with what - am I going to fight for my right to draw the prophet Mohammed by baiting hardcore Islamic's with a contest - knowing that there is a likelihood that they are going to show up with guns....ummm I have better things to do....BTW - these people were hardly "fighting" for their right - that battle has been won with guns and blood in the past so we don't have to do that now - this lady who runs the coloring club is clearly looking for a fight...

No - I am not going to put my life on the line for a bunch of xenophobic clowns who clearly have too much time on their hands

You'd only fight to support speech you agree with? Do I have to pull up Voltaire quotes?

You'd only fight to support speech you agree with? Do I have to pull up Voltaire quotes?

These peoples free speech was not threatened....did the police or Feds show up to shut them down? No...the police were there and defended their rights.

Geller et al have proven nothing....yet they accomplished their goal....Bravo....

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Should have known better than to expect anything different.

I'm sure you're right. The lady running the coloring club was asking for it. <_<

Do a small amount of homework and explain to me what she was doing then....I am not saying the shooters were in the right... I am saying they are b$tsh&@t crazy and when presented with what they see as blasphemy...they shoot.

Geller KNOWS this...

These peoples free speech was not threatened....did the police or Feds show up to shut them down? No...the police were there and defended their rights.

Geller et al have proven nothing....yet they accomplished their goal....Bravo....

Rights can only be threatened by governments?

Are you telling me that attempting to kill them for their actions isn't an attempt to stifle their right to free speech? By that same logic, America allows murder, we just kill you for it after.

Edited by FireChan

I can see both sides on this one... I guess even better, two morons dead. Thank God it was Texas and not Rhode Island...

But why instigate. The contest was clearly set up as a "face wash." It did get the better of the radicals AND two more are dead.

The one thing (among many more) that Jesus and Christianity nailed is:

"Turn the other cheek."

The othere religions that don't practice this are really stunted intellectually and always will be!

i dont know what im more tired of, liberals saying why instigate? or the religious zealots....

seriously im far left but we have a major major problem with not seeing islam for what it is and the current problem of that ideology clashing with modernity

You instigate anybody and they MAY go off the deep end. It is like a flame war. Why flare it up in the first place? Path of least resistance is not taking the wimpy way out. It is just the path of least resistance. Work smart not hard. There are better ways to skin this cat than going all "in your face." BUT, @ least they were prepared, That should be commended. If you are going to poke @ a hornet's nest, @ least win! Which they did.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You have to hand it to this dork.

He has the "I'm going to get laid by sounding smart even though i'm dumb as a box of rocks" schtick down pat. But when you look at it, he really better get it right. These atheists broads do not trend on the attractive side and he is limiting his population of potential sick of pants severely, unless he is attracted to ugly chicks, which I doubt. It is VERY difficult to softly speak your way through 15 minutes, half of which is irrational thought, without raising your voice or giving some other kind of tell. If you can, you will attract some others who are less articulate but want their message sent and they will use you as a mouthpiece. And you will get laid. Two Sheas to him. It is society that is to blame for falling for his schtick. It is not his fault.

You have to hand it to this dork.

He has the "I'm going to get laid by sounding smart even though i'm dumb as a box of rocks" schtick down pat. But when you look at it, he really better get it right. These atheists broads do not trend on the attractive side and he is limiting his population of potential sick of pants severely, unless he is attracted to ugly chicks, which I doubt. It is VERY difficult to softly speak your way through 15 minutes, half of which is irrational thought, without raising your voice or giving some other kind of tell. If you can, you will attract some others who are less articulate but want their message sent and they will use you as a mouthpiece. And you will get laid. Two Sheas to him. It is society that is to blame for falling for his schtick. It is not his fault.

should he yell louder and louder like sean hannity. we get it bro, youre butthurt because youre probably realizing like i did over a decade ago that religion is bs, nobody knows what happens when you die and the bible is just a book.... get over it

Edited by kelsay2sackseason

Do a small amount of homework and explain to me what she was doing then....

The problem here is you are attempting to qualify which acts of free speech are acceptable, and it just doesn't work that way. Some of our best and worst moments in life are usually followed by the phrase "Well, what did you THINK was going to happen?"

A gay couple asks a Christian baker to make their wedding cake. The baker says no. Seriously, what did the gay couple THINK was going to happen?

A Christian baker says no and is subsequently sued into bankruptcy while their business is shut down. Seriously, what did the baker THINK was going to happen?

What we, as a people, take away from those moments is very telling. Many today see the reality that homegrown ISIS is in their backyard. You see a woman who was asking to be shot, and had she not stretched the limits of free speech, we wouldn't have to confront the reality of terror that lives so clearly on our soil.

Like I said...it's kinda what I figured.

The problem here is you are attempting to qualify which acts of free speech are acceptable, and it just doesn't work that way. Some of our best and worst moments in life are usually followed by the phrase "Well, what did you THINK was going to happen?"

A gay couple asks a Christian baker to make their wedding cake. The baker says no. Seriously, what did the gay couple THINK was going to happen?

A Christian baker says no and is subsequently sued into bankruptcy while their business is shut down. Seriously, what did the baker THINK was going to happen?

What we, as a people, take away from those moments is very telling. Many today see the reality that homegrown ISIS is in their backyard. You see a woman who was asking to be shot, and had she not stretched the limits of free speech, we wouldn't have to confront the reality of terror that lives so clearly on our soil.

Like I said...it's kinda what I figured.

this says so much more about islam rather than confrontational people. there is no " what did you think was going to happen" there is no " ya those islamo nuts are crazy but....." i just dont think you " get it"

should he yell louder and louder like sean hannity. we get it bro, youre butthurt because youre probably realizing like i did over a decade ago that religion is bs, nobody knows what happens when you die and the bible is just a book.... get over it

Lol dude. He's trying to get laid. More power to him. His lack of yelling gets him what he wants. Hannity's yelling gets him what he wants. More power to him too.

You're enabling Harris while others enable Hannity. Good for you, but you're being a sick of pants as much as the chicks Harris dupes or the Hannnity wannabes. And Harris' schtick is not that nobody knows what happens when you die. His schtick is that nothing happens when you die. If you're going to call other people butthurt, at least try to understand the philosophy that you deem as superior. It will allow you keep an argument going longer before most people realize the buffoonery you are spewing.

I'm not saying he is totally dumb. He is smarter than the people he tricks, that is for sure. It would be mildly interesting to see who is behind him using him to deliver this message but I don't really care that much.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Lol dude. He's trying to get laid. More power to him. His lack of yelling gets him what he wants. Hannity's yelling gets him what he wants. More power to him too.

You're enabling Harris while others enable Hannity. Good for you, but you're being a sick of pants as much as the chicks Harris dupes or the Hannnity wannabes. And Harris' schtick is not that nobody knows what happens when you die. His schtick is that nothing happens when you die. If you're going to call other people butthurt, at least try to understand the philosophy that you deem as superior. It will allow you keep an argument going longer before most people realize the buffoonery you are spewing.

I'm not saying he is totally dumb. He is smarter than the people he tricks, that is for sure. It would be mildly interesting to see who is behind him using him to deliver this message but I don't really care that much.

why are you so passive aggressive with sam harris? i mean, whats the deal

why are you so passive aggressive with sam harris? i mean, whats the deal

Huh?

I'm just pointing out how he goes about his business. I'm being objective about him. You seem to be the one worshipping him while accusing me of wanting him to be like Hannity.

Ace of Spades gives a pretty decent rant here about everyone -- including people who are perceived to be Republican (or even conservative) -- who finds it necessary to qualify their opinions on the Texas shooting because they find it somehow necessary to ensure they don't piss anyone off.

That is to say, when many of us -- and here I include myself -- chose to stop talking so much about the Islamist threat, not because the Islamist threat had receded, but because the social tolerance for talking about the Islamist threat receded into almost nothing, Pam Gellar soldiered on, unbowed.

Now, as a personal matter, I have had sharp differences with Ms. Gellar. We do not get along.

But this is entirely besides the point.

Americans, acting under the influence of America, were !@#$ing shot at by crazed religious cultists seeking to impose a cancerous religious lunacy on America.

One does not "support" someone's right to free speech by name-calling them and advertising how far one believes they fall outside the smug Upper Middle Class (leftist-dominated) Consensus.

One supports free speech by supporting those who speak freely.

I am so disgusted by how so many alleged thinkers seem to care more about social positioning than actual thought.

Edited by LABillzFan

and you are a moron....get over it