Mccoy says Chip Kelly doesn't respect stars

every NFL player has an ego so good luck with that Chip. But mccoy didn't ask for preferential treatment, he said he felt the players who were considered "stars" were not welcome.

Some bigger than others.

I'm not really sure how to take the last part...it sounds like an opinion of a player with a huge ego.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which was his point entirely.

That doesn't make sense... at that point the only logical conclusion is he either didn't fit with their scheme (he did), or that his ego was too much for Chip, and had nothing to do with being a "star".

Perhaps one of the reasons Chip doesn't like stars. The whole "no I in team" concept.

I think we're going to have to get used to having an outspoken player in Buffalo. It seems like ages since we've had one of those...

...?

I guess you forgot all about Mr. Training-Manual-Goes-Right-in-My-Drawer.

Or when Hughes sounded off on Marrone last year during TC.

Some bigger than others.

I'm not really sure how to take the last part...it sounds like an opinion of a player with a huge ego.

Chip can't handle NFL players with big egos. It is what it is. He wants to be the BMOC.

That doesn't make sense... at that point the only logical conclusion is he either didn't fit with their scheme (he did), or that his ego was too much for Chip, and had nothing to do with being a "star".

his point was he was told it was about money, but it wasn't. If they had replaced him with a rookie or a JAG, he understood the move. But he was not treated with much respect on the way out.

Chip can't handle NFL players with big egos. It is what it is. He wants to be the BMOC.

his point was he was told it was about money, but it wasn't. If they had replaced him with a rookie or a JAG, he understood the move. But he was not treated with much respect on the way out.

Right, and I understand that...

He fit the scheme, so it wasn't that.

He was replaced with expensive player(s), so it wasn't that.

What else is there, beyond personality conflicts?

If he keeps going on about it, I will agree.

I think since he's going to be asked, he might as well lay it out there rather than the mysterious "person close to McCoy".

-He's pissed because he worked hard and contributed a lot of yards to Philly, and he/his agent weren't notified of the trade. I get it. It's courtesy. They were willing to reno the deal for Philly. I think a lot of guys would feel the same - if you're thinking of trading me let me know.

-He's double-pissed because the coach is claiming it's the money, while the owner is saying the coach says it's the fit. McCoy is like, be straight, coach, if it's the fit, say so. The fact that they signed Murray for the same contract McCoy took in Buffalo also says "it's not the money, it's the fit".

-He plans to get over it and be polite.

All good, and hopefully going forward he will let it go and put it on the field.

Pretty much this. A lot of people would be annoyed at getting transferred to another city for work without having them talk to you first. Doubly so when you find out your old boss was lying through his teeth about why he did it.

If he keeps going on about it, I will agree.

I think since he's going to be asked, he might as well lay it out there rather than the mysterious "person close to McCoy".

-He's pissed because he worked hard and contributed a lot of yards to Philly, and he/his agent weren't notified of the trade. I get it. It's courtesy. They were willing to reno the deal for Philly. I think a lot of guys would feel the same - if you're thinking of trading me let me know.

-He's double-pissed because the coach is claiming it's the money, while the owner is saying the coach says it's the fit. McCoy is like, be straight, coach, if it's the fit, say so. The fact that they signed Murray for the same contract McCoy took in Buffalo also says "it's not the money, it's the fit".

-He plans to get over it and be polite.

All good, and hopefully going forward he will let it go and put it on the field.

And also, let's not let ourselves become numb to the fact that this was a BLOCKBUSTER trade.

It sent shock waves through the league, through organizations and through every fan who follows a team.

It stunned everyone.

Stars of McCoys caliber simply aren't swapped one-for-one with another player.

Especially stars who were "bad fits" with their coach to the tune of 3500+ yards from scrimmage and 16 TD's in their two seasons together.

I don't blame him for being miffed. And he's certainly well within his right to be confused and frustrated.

He was asked the question following the first team activity with his new organization. He answered it. It's not like he called a press conference in mid-November, eight months after the transaction.

I'd expect his opinion on the matter to become increasingly less public and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last we heard on the topic from him.

Edited by The Big Cat

One thing about Mccoy is that he speaks his mind. The media will keep asking questions about this because they know he will say something. He's almost like TO in that regard.

Chip Kelly was mad at the Bills for supposedly leaking the trade which made it to Mccoy before he could notify him of the deal. What i find humorous is that Chip is mad at this when he failed to even tell Mccoy that he was on the trading block.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Chip Kelly is just Steve Spurrier with a stronger work ethic. Living in the DC area, people just assume that Spurrier failed because he was lazy, spent too much time on the golf course, etc. In reality, though, it was all about proving that his "system" worked. Spurrier never referred to players by name -- only by position. To him, players were all interchangeable, with the most important thing being their understanding of (and willingness to abide by) what Spurrier wanted to do. Danny Wuerffel is the perfect example of this.

I see Kelly in exactly the same way. He's obviously had more success than Spurrier, but I ultimately chalk that up to Kelly (a) having a better team from Day One and (b) being willing to put in the time to succeed. At the end of the day, however, you need really good players to succeed and I assume that Chip Kelly will have to learn that the hard way.

All that being said, Shady really should just move on.

I like what Kelly is doing. I honestly think he took a look at his squad and thought, "I have a 10-6 team that isn't going to get better." I think he has upgraded hugely on defense and at QB (I like Bradford in that offense), and the RB exchange is a wash. They lost Maclin, but I think they'll be mostly fine at WR. He's a smart coach with a genuinely fresh approach.

I was visiting family this weekend and spoke with one of my brothers based in the Philly area (a devoted Eagles fan). He said that he thought McCoy simply didn't look as good this past season. I brought up the Philly offensive line, and he just shook his head, saying it wasn't just that - a little bit of the explosiveness wasn't there. He's of course inclined to look at the bright side regarding Philly trades, so I'd factor that in, but he is a pretty careful observer. For what it's worth, I do of course think that McCoy is an upgrade over what we had last year.

Sounds like exactly the same sort of things "devoted Bills fans" say to make themselves feel better when their players leave or are traded.

One thing about Mccoy is that he speaks his mind. The media will keep asking questions about this because they know he will say something. He's almost like TO in that regard.

Chip Kelly was mad at the Bills for supposedly leaking the trade which made it to Mccoy before he could notify him of the deal. What i find humorous is that Chip is mad at this when he failed to even tell Mccoy that he was on the trading block.

yep, it seems the reason it leaked is because whaley called Kiko personally to tell him. The first news of it came from Shefter who said "Alonso has been informed by the bills he is being traded". Then whaley called CJ personally to let him know they were going in another direction at RB since his offer was currently on the table at that point. Edited by YoloinOhio

Chip is mad?

Not disagreeing with that, but in this case, the coach is the boss, so he gets to make that call.

yeah im not necessarily dissagreeing with you dork

I kinda see both sides of this......perhaps McCoy considered himself a city of brotherly love player through and through given how much he has done for the team and frankly felt he deserved more then to be treated like just another player.......

In the end....he is here now......and I would like to see Shady just go out and let his performance do the talking for him