NCAA Finals

He said "we don't do rent a player"

The rest of your statement is conjecture. Especially the hypocrite part.

It has very little to do with whether he can get them or not. The fact of the matter is that very few can get in because of Wisconsin's academic standards. It's why they lost Moon and Tokoto. Just like the football program. Main reason Anderson left.

Conjecture? So, you believe that if 4 of the top 20 HS seniors wanted to commit to Wisconsin they would be denied because Bo don't know 1 & done?

In that case he is not doing everything possible to put the best team on the court.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you think that K wouldn't enjoy & prefer to have his players for 4 years?

I think K would prefer the 4 year player. With that being said he knows he is going up against UNC every year & knows they are bringing in top tier talent most years. Ryan's situation is a little different. There was a time when K wasn't recruiting the 1 & done player & he was routinely getting beat by UNC because they were the more athletic team. When UNC had Jameison/Carter, those years. He has changed his philosophy over the last 5 years or so.

A lot of them don't want to play fundamental basketball. I am actually surprised Jackson lasted as long as he did with his penchant for not setting up the offense and hot dogging it.

Pompous and arrogant is people reading things into his statement that are not there.

Please, I ignored your comment about me above, but since this is directed at another leave the name calling out of your posts. Thanks.

I think K would prefer the 4 year player. With that being said he knows he is going up against UNC every year & knows they are bringing in top tier talent most years. Ryan's situation is a little different. There was a time when K wasn't recruiting the 1 & done player & he was routinely getting beat by UNC because they were the more athletic team. When UNC had Jameison/Carter, those years. He has changed his philosophy over the last 5 years or so.

& he can get those players. Ryan cannot.

A lot of them don't want to play fundamental basketball. I am actually surprised Jackson lasted as long as he did with his penchant for not setting up the offense and hot dogging it.

Pompous and arrogant is people reading things into his statement that are not there.

Pompous and arrogant are still going on 2 days after the finals. Looking at his body of work it is understandable he is frustrated he didn't win the title, he's a good coach. But the guy has to cool his jets and set an example.

Of course, this is the 24/7 non stop sports news world cycle with instant gratification and overcelebration of the smallest bits - but, yeah, Ryan hardly comes off professional.

Agreed, I honestly don't know what he said that was so wrong. He said they don't do rental players(which they don't) & when directly asked about the officiating he stated his opinion. Wisconsin has lived at the foul line all year, for them not to even hit the bonus in the 2nd half when Duke hits the double bonus so early is crazy. Duke has been getting the benfit of calls for the last 25 years. If you don't see that you really don't pay attention. I am not a fan of Duke or Wisconsin so I really don't have any skin in the game. Just my unbias opinion.

Agreed, I honestly don't know what he said that was so wrong. He said they don't do rental players(which they don't) & when directly asked about the officiating he stated his opinion. Wisconsin has lived at the foul line all year, for them not to even hit the bonus in the 2nd half when Duke hits the double bonus so early is crazy. Duke has been getting the benfit of calls for the last 25 years. If you don't see that you really don't pay attention. I am not a fan of Duke or Wisconsin so I really don't have any skin in the game. Just my unbias opinion.

I also have zero skins in the game.

He doesn't do 1 & done because he can't. If he continuously got those players he would IMO welcome them to Madison. That's the crux of the argument. To me it is disingenuous (at best) of him to say it.

I can't say it any other way so I will now leave you to discuss this to death. :D

I also have zero skins in the game.

He doesn't do 1 & done because he can't. If he continuously got those players he would IMO welcome them to Madison. That's the crux of the argument. To me it is disingenuous (at best) of him to say it.

I can't say it any other way so I will now leave you to discuss this to death. :D

Agreed.

Wisconsin's program is built through good coaching, great defense, and strong fundamental players. If guys like Jabari Parker, Karl Towns, and Ben Simmons were beating down his door, I highly doubt that Ryan would turn them away. I found his post-game speech re: officiating and "rental players" to be extremely classless and disrespectful. Surprising from an extremely well-respected head coach who runs a solid character program. I'm sure he regrets his comments even if he truly feels that way.

He offered his opinion on the officiating before he was ever asked directly about it. He just reiterated when asked directly.

Great article outlining the words people are putting into Bo Ryan's mouth. I especially like the embedded tweets from Grantland.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/writers/jason-joyce/breaking-down-bo-ryan-s-rent-a-player-remark-and/article_72377cd0-de35-11e4-8696-8f48a295b7c7.html

I think for those of us who saw it live (like me), saw him take a shot at 1-and-doners, realize what he said, and then mentioned 5th year transfers to save face. I mean, how many 5th year transfers are even out there? I can't even think of one current player.

Whatever he said or meant, I have no problem giving the guy a pass. He is ticked off, and is on the heels of a rough loss-- not really going to bring out the best in anyone...

Great article outlining the words people are putting into Bo Ryan's mouth. I especially like the embedded tweets from Grantland.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/writers/jason-joyce/breaking-down-bo-ryan-s-rent-a-player-remark-and/article_72377cd0-de35-11e4-8696-8f48a295b7c7.html

That's quite the unbiased source there. He was NOT referring to 5th year transfers. It's silly to even think that.

That's quite the unbiased source there. He was NOT referring to 5th year transfers. It's silly to even think that.

Sure the guy from the cap times is. The guy from Grantland, based in LA, calling people imbeciles... not so much. He played ball at Ohio state, so i can't see a Buckeye running interference for a Badger. Edited by Show Me The Baby

Sure the guy from the cap times is. The guy from Grantland, based in LA, calling people imbeciles... not so much. He played ball at Ohio state, so i can't see a Buckeye running interference for a Badger.

What 5th year transfer was he referring to? JR summed it up perfectly.

What 5th year transfer was he referring to? JR summed it up perfectly.

I have no clue kiko. I do not think I have Miss Cleo skills. I do get the jist of what he is saying. Maybe send Bo an email and find out straight from the horse's mouth rather than guessing or getting all foamed up about conjecture, which is really all this is.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

I have no clue kiko. I do not think I have Miss Cleo skills. I do get the jist of what he is saying. Maybe send Bo an email and find out straight from the horse's mouth rather than guessing or getting all foamed up about conjecture, which is really all this is.

No. I'm good. I don't need Ryan to lie to me in an email. Myself, and I'd guess 99% of the country know what he meant. Like JR said, he was heated and tried to back pedal away from it by referring to 5th year players. We've all said things we shouldn't have in the heat of the moment at one point or anther. It's just weird watching people scramble to make excuses for Ryan. It's the only reason I keep participating in this discussion. It's fascinating. The only imbecile in this whole thing is the Grantland writer. The dude has a very loose grasp on reality.

Edit: I don't have a dog in this race. I'm a Syracuse fan. I've b*tched about Boeheim acting like a child more than anyone. These coaches should be ridiculed when they act like children, and like children, can be forgiven.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

No. I'm good. I don't need Ryan to lie to me in an email. Myself, and I'd guess 99% of the country know what he meant. Like JR said, he was heated and tried to back pedal away from it by referring to 5th year players. We've all said things we shouldn't have in the heat of the moment at one point or anther. It's just weird watching people scramble to make excuses for Ryan. It's the only reason I keep participating in this discussion. It's fascinating. The only imbecile in this whole thing is the Grantland writer. The dude has a very loose grasp on reality.

Edit: I don't have a dog in this race. I'm a Syracuse fan. I've b*tched about Boeheim acting like a child more than anyone. These coaches should be ridiculed when they act like children, and like children, can be forgiven.

Amen brotha. Good post.

So Bo Ryan is a liar, and 99% of the country agrees with you.

I guess we will just agree to disagree.

Any person that can think for themselves can look at ANY of the comment sections of ANY of the articles discussing this and see that no where near 99% of the country agrees with your stance.

As for calling another man a liar based on a few words after a heated loss and whole lot of opinion--that tells me everything I need to know.

I don't understand why you would call Ryan a liar. The guy spoke the truth Monday. The officiating stunk Monday & as usual Coach K & Duke reaped the benfits of it. Just once I would like to see Duke on the short end of bad officiating. Ryan may have tried to back pedal but the fact is he doesn't recuit one an done players. & don't give me the BS he can't get any one doners. The guy just went to 2 straight final 4's in the process beating 3 straight blue bloods in UNC/Arizona/Kentucky. I am sure some kid from Chicago or St louis or wherever that is a can't miss prospect would consider playing for Bo & going to Madison.

I don't understand why you would call Ryan a liar. The guy spoke the truth Monday. The officiating stunk Monday & as usual Coach K & Duke reaped the benfits of it. Just once I would like to see Duke on the short end of bad officiating. Ryan may have tried to back pedal but the fact is he doesn't recuit one an done players. & don't give me the BS he can't get any one doners. The guy just went to 2 straight final 4's in the process beating 3 straight blue bloods in UNC/Arizona/Kentucky. I am sure some kid from Chicago or St louis or wherever that is a can't miss prospect would consider playing for Bo & going to Madison.

Holy misinterpretation Batman! In the post you quoted, I said nothing about the validity of his comments on officiating. I responded to a poster who said I should email Bo to get clarification on the rent a player comments. He would be lying if he tried to say he was talking about 5th year guys, because he wasn't.

Since you bring up the validity of his comments on officiating though, I do think it's just sour grapes. Wisconsin got the calls all year, as do a lot of marquee programs. Were you this upset when Wisconsin got more calls than UK? The officiating in that game was much more egregious and played a larger role in the result. UK was better in most of the statistical measures. Duke and Wisconsin were statistically pretty even.

Edit: For all the crap Calipari gets, he handled their loss extremely well. None of this changes the fact that Bo Ryan is still an excellent coach.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall