NCAA Finals

Agreed, I know Bilas was giving Ryan crap too about his post game presser. I didn't think he said anything that was so out of line. Bilas said he thought Bo was outline saying we don't rent a player we try to build them up for 4 years. That is the truth. The game would be a better game if more coaches had that philosophy.

So, do you suppose that Ryan doesn't try to recruit better players? If one did fall in his lap do you suppose he'd say no thanks?

That was from broadcast WHILE they deliberated. And the refs don't have as many angles as CBS or whatever? What? Why not? Incompetence, no matter what way you slice it.

Yup, how the refs were not able to use the best angle is mind boggling.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did not say they were an elite national program. I disputed you calling them local. You missed Jordan Hill on their roster who is a California kid. They have a couple of kids coming in from the East Coast. One from Maryland, another from New Hampshire.

I don't think we are really in disagreement, In a certain sense, they're not unlike any other very solid big ten school, including even Mich State and Ohio State (except for the OSU Oden/Conley stretch). They get really good regional players.

What bothers me is Bo Ryan's comment (said in the heat of a tough loss) that suggested that they willingly passed on 1-and-doners. They don't pass on them. They would love to get those guys, but they're not Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, or North Carolina.

Someone asked Tom Izzo about having homegrown guys, and he basically said he would love to get 1-and-done players too, but he can't.

Bo Ryan could have showed his kids what it was like to lose with class, he instead opted to passive aggressively blame it on officiating. Then he decided to b*tch about one and dones. It's ok to have that opinion, that just was not the place for it. I personally think that how he acted and what he said was worse than what Andrew Harrison got caught muttering. I expect more of adults.

At least he didn't lose with the same kind of class that Kentucky did, lol

All you ever hear is duke gets calls and the refs love them. Its getting old and tired.

Remove 'Duke' insert 'Pats*' and now we are talking about football- lol

I don't think we are really in disagreement, In a certain sense, they're not unlike any other very solid big ten school, including even Mich State and Ohio State (except for the OSU Oden/Conley stretch). They get really good regional players.

What bothers me is Bo Ryan's comment (said in the heat of a tough loss) that suggested that they willingly passed on 1-and-doners. They don't pass on them. They would love to get those guys, but they're not Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, or North Carolina.

Someone asked Tom Izzo about having homegrown guys, and he basically said he would love to get 1-and-done players too, but he can't.

"She didn't break up with me, I broke up with her," sorta thing.

At least he didn't lose with the same kind of class that Kentucky did, lol

Remove 'Duke' insert 'Pats*' and now we are talking about football- lol

except in college basketball - well, there are about a dozen teams that supposedly get those calls. In the NFCS the Saints get those calls. In the AFCN the Steelers. In the NFCW the Seahawks get all the calls against them - and Cards never get any.

In football it's a bit different, but everyone knows the Pats get better treatment.

By local, I mean regional. They seem to draw mostly from the Midwest, and I don't think they typically land any bigger national recruits.

Looking at their roster, except for 1 bench warmer who no one recruited from CA, everyone is from wisc, minn, northern Illinois, and ohio.

Again, I find nothing wrong with that. But let's not kid ourselves, that's not an elite national program, that has any 1-and-doners even interested.

Well they are not a blue blood but Ryan has run a pretty elite program there for years. They have made the final four twice now, they are always in the top 20 & always competing for the big 10 title. If that is not your defination elite then you have pretty lofty standards. If my son was a top 10 recruit I would love him to go to Wisconsin to play for Bo Ryan. He runs a great program.

Well they are not a blue blood but Ryan has run a pretty elite program there for years. They have made the final four twice now, they are always in the top 20 & always competing for the big 10 title. If that is not your defination elite then you have pretty lofty standards. If my son was a top 10 recruit I would love him to go to Wisconsin to play for Bo Ryan. He runs a great program.

If your son was a top ten recruit, Bo Ryan wouldn't take him. There'd be too much of a chance that he could leave early being that highly regarded. It wouldn't be worth the risk to Ryan's integrity.

If your son was a top ten recruit, Bo Ryan wouldn't take him. There'd be too much of a chance that he could leave early being that highly regarded. It wouldn't be worth the risk to Ryan's integrity.

Yeah, he spouted complete and utter BS.

Yeah, he spouted complete and utter BS.

Why is it utter BS. is it so unthinkable that he would rather coach a kid up for 4 years then constantly have half your team turning over year after year? I don't think in Ryan's system you could have 1 & done players. It takes a few years to learn/master. I will tell you another thing. I respect Ryan's program & the way he goes about his business a hell of a lot more then Cal's program @ UK. Cal had what 9 Mcdonald All Americans on his roster this year. Anybody could win with a roster that talented.

You are putting words into his mouth. He basically said Wisconsin does not do rent a player, they play through the program. He does not say they won't take them, he does not say they passed on them. He is being accurate.

"Every player that's played through the program, okay, we don't do a rent-a-player," Ryan said. "You know what I mean? Try to take a fifth-year guy. That's okay. If other people do that, that's okay. "I like trying to build from within. It's just the way I am. And to see these guys grow over the years and to be here last year and lose a tough game, boom, they came back. They said what they wanted to do, they put themselves into that position, and they won't forget this for a long time. I told them that's life. Wait till you get a job. Wait till you start the next 60 or 70 years of your life. It's not always going to work out the way you would like it to. But you measure a person by what it takes to discourage them."

Edited by Show Me The Baby

Why is it utter BS. is it so unthinkable that he would rather coach a kid up for 4 years then constantly have half your team turning over year after year? I don't think in Ryan's system you could have 1 & done players. It takes a few years to learn/master. I will tell you another thing. I respect Ryan's program & the way he goes about his business a hell of a lot more then Cal's program @ UK. Cal had what 9 Mcdonald All Americans on his roster this year. Anybody could win with a roster that talented.

Honest question. Do you really believe that if last year Andrew Wiggins wanted to go to Wisconsin he would have turned him away?

You are putting words into his mouth. He basically said Wisconsin does not do rent a player, they play through the program. He does not say they won't take them, he does not say they passed on them. He is being accurate.

"okay, we don't do a rent-a-player"... I took that to mean that they don't and wouldn't take them.

So, if a fab 4 descended on his doorstep you think he'd turn them away? If you do then you also think that he should be fired for not "fielding" the best team he possibly can. Ryan does it "the way he does" because he can't get those guys on a continuous basis.

If that's what he's saying then he isn't being accurate but he is being a hypocrite and a crybaby to boot.

So, if a fab 4 descended on his doorstep you think he'd turn them away? If you do then you also think that he should be fired for not "fielding" the best team he possibly can. Ryan does it "the way he does" because he can't get those guys on a continuous basis.

If that's what he's saying then he isn't being accurate but he is being a hypocrite and a crybaby to boot.

How so beerball? I have a hard time understanding your logic.

or lack thereof...

How so beerball? I have a hard time understanding your logic.

or lack thereof...

He said he doesn't do 1 & done, correct? Why is that? Because he can't get those players to Wisconsin. If he could get those players to Wisconsin he'd welcome them with open arms. He's a hypocrite.

Okay fair enough. No he wouldn't turn Wiggins away or the Fab 5. With that being said I also thinks he enjoys & prefers Wisconsin & his program operates the way it operates with grooming kids for 4 years. Who wants to recruit a new team every year? Yeah coach Cal gets the best talent but he runs a meat factory. I honestly think Ryan would rather get to know these kids & mold them into a cohesive unit over a 4 year period. Cal never gets that chance the way he recruits. & I know everybody does not believe this but Cal's system is flawed. Your always the more inexperienced team & your always trying to mesh moving parts. In Cal's system too, you better hope that you never miss on a recruiting class or your going to have a miserable season. I know college basketball has changed but I am still a big believer that upperclassman leadership is still very valuable come march. Even the year Cal won it at Kentucky I believe he had 2 seniors playing significant minutes.

Beerball, your assuming a ton of stuff calling Ryan a hypocrite. You don't think he has ever had a chance to get a one & doner? Maybe he doesn't target those recruits. What do you think the only one & doners go to the blue bloods- Kentucky/UNC/UCLA/Duke.

Edited by Gordio

Okay fair enough. No he wouldn't turn Wiggins away or the Fab 5. With that being said I also thinks he enjoys & prefers Wisconsin & his program operates the way it operates with grooming kids for 4 years. Who wants to recruit a new team every year? Yeah coach Cal gets the best talent but he runs a meat factory. I honestly think Ryan would rather get to know these kids & mold them into a cohesive unit over a 4 year period. Cal never gets that chance the way he recruits. & I know everybody does not believe this but Cal's system is flawed. Your always the more inexperienced team & your always trying to mesh moving parts. In Cal's system too, you better hope that you never miss on a recruiting class or your going to have a miserable season. I know college basketball has changed but I am still a big believer that upperclassman leadership is still very valuable come march. Even the year Cal won it at Kentucky I believe he had 2 seniors playing significant minutes.

Do you think that K wouldn't enjoy & prefer to have his players for 4 years?

He said he doesn't do 1 & done, correct? Why is that? Because he can't get those players to Wisconsin. If he could get those players to Wisconsin he'd welcome them with open arms. He's a hypocrite.

He said "we don't do rent a player"

The rest of your statement is conjecture. Especially the hypocrite part.

It has very little to do with whether he can get them or not. The fact of the matter is that very few can get in because of Wisconsin's academic standards. It's why they lost Moon and Tokoto. Just like the football program. Main reason Anderson left.

I do not understand how a coach of such quality the likes of Bo Ryan can be so pompous and arrogant to the point he is coming off as ignorant and immature.

He is a hypocrite if there ever was one and he needs to be thankful he has had a great team and been a good coach to get them where they are - and as a coach, needs to shut up. His players need to speak for him IN THEIR PLAY. He needs to sit down, shut up, and prepare for next year. This just instills a losers mentality.

It reminds me of the quote that people do not lose to the Yankees, they lose to the pinstripes.

A lot of them don't want to play fundamental basketball. I am actually surprised Jackson lasted as long as he did with his penchant for not setting up the offense and hot dogging it.

I do not understand how a coach of such quality the likes of Bo Ryan can be so pompous and arrogant to the point he is coming off as ignorant and immature.

He is a hypocrite if there ever was one and he needs to be thankful he has had a great team and been a good coach to get them where they are - and as a coach, needs to shut up. His players need to speak for him IN THEIR PLAY. He needs to sit down, shut up, and prepare for next year. This just instills a losers mentality.

It reminds me of the quote that people do not lose to the Yankees, they lose to the pinstripes.

Pompous and arrogant is people reading things into his statement that are not there.