[OT] Georgetown BB in the 1980's

LabattBlue

For the "old fogies" here, this team was known for their rough play, but there was one guy in particular who always pissed me off. Black player, shaved head, I believe he came off the bench. Was it Michael Graham??? HELP!!!!!!

PS Hopefully I've got the right year? :w00t:

1983-1984 (34-3)

Coach: John Thompson

Captain: Gene Smith

20 Fred Brown '84 Guard*

22 Gene Smith '84 Guard*

24 Bill Martin '85 Guard

30 Michael Jackson '86 Guard

32 Horace Broadnax '86 Guard

33 Patrick Ewing '85 Center*

34 Reggie Williams '87 Forward*

40 David Wingate '86 Forward*

42 Clifton Dairsow '87 Forward

50 Michael Graham '87 Forward

52 Ralph Dalton '85 Center

55 Victor Morris '86 Forward

For the "old fogies" here, this team was known for their rough play, but there was one guy in particular who always pissed me off.  Black player, shaved head, I believe he came off the bench.  Was it Michael Graham???  HELP!!!!!! 

1983-1984 (34-3)

20 Fred Brown '84              Guard*

22 Gene Smith '84              Guard*

24 Bill Martin '85            Guard

30 Michael Jackson '86        Guard

32 Horace Broadnax '86        Guard

33 Patrick Ewing '85          Center*

34 Reggie Williams '87        Forward*

40 David Wingate '86          Forward*

42 Clifton Dairsow '87        Forward

50 Michael Graham '87          Forward

52 Ralph Dalton '85            Center

55 Victor Morris '86          Forward

232217[/snapback]

Yep it waqs Graham, one tough dude. BTW , great teams and Big John was great coach. His boy not doing to bad either

It wasn't just G'town, Blue. That whole conference was completely and utterly out of control. Hell they had to go to a 6foul system for conference games! Awesome!!! :w00t:

With all due respect to the many talented teams and players that have rolled through the ACC over the years, the Big East conference in that era was the best college hoop I have ever had the immense pleasure of watching. The level of competition and intensity was far superior to anything that could be offered even in the March tourney. Good lord, you'd watch a G'town/Cuse game on a Monday night in the middle of January and you'd swear those guys were literallly playing for their lives. Then when you consider just how many great teams were in the Big East at the time (G'town,Cuse,StJohns,Pitt,'Nova,SetonHall,BC,UConn,Providence could all play), you realize how lucky we were to have seen it. What an incredible time that will never, ever be repeated.

Cya

thugs is apropos for graham, but as i get older and wiser i realize that ewing being called a thug was unfair of us cuse fans. sure he was a tough player, but i think he was judged more by his appearance than his actions. he was a good student at g-town(or so i think i read once), and was a warrior on the court. wish i could have appreciated his skills instead of watching through my heavily orange stained glasses.

For the "old fogies" here, this team was known for their rough play, but there was one guy in particular who always pissed me off.  Black player, shaved head, I believe he came off the bench.  Was it Michael Graham???  HELP!!!!!! 

1983-1984 (34-3)

20 Fred Brown '84              Guard*

22 Gene Smith '84              Guard*

24 Bill Martin '85            Guard

30 Michael Jackson '86        Guard

32 Horace Broadnax '86        Guard

33 Patrick Ewing '85          Center*

34 Reggie Williams '87        Forward*

40 David Wingate '86          Forward*

42 Clifton Dairsow '87        Forward

50 Michael Graham '87          Forward

52 Ralph Dalton '85            Center

55 Victor Morris '86          Forward

232217[/snapback]

Oh boy, do you ever bring back memories. I went to G-town back then, and every single game at the Cap Center. It was just nuts, each and every game. Wayyyy too many memories to list here, but who can forget Louie's sweater, the relentless taunting of Boeheim, and on and on. Each game was a war, the likes of which I'd never seen in college hoops. Michael Graham was a flash in the pan -- carried on his illustrious career at UDC..

Personally I couldn't stand John Thompson. I had a chance to see him speak on more than one occasion and I remember at one Alum banquet he made what I thought at the time was a pretty insulting speech to the well-healed, monied alums (not me!), and it went over like a lead balloon. Good thing there was plenty of booze at the event.

Well, those were the good ol days. I won't ever forget them, but I haven't liked college ball since then. Thanks for taking me back to a past that was something special for me. HoyaSaxa!!!!

Dave - You might want to wander over to MCI Center this Saturday at 4 pm. You're missing a heck of a turn around led by JTIII and a great group of kids. "We Are Georgetown."

Meet Jeff Green

Oh boy, do you ever bring back memories.  I went to G-town back then, and every single game at the Cap Center.  It was just nuts, each and every game.  Wayyyy too many memories to list here, but who can forget Louie's sweater, the relentless taunting of Boeheim, and on and on.  Each game was a war, the likes of which I'd never seen in college hoops.  Michael Graham was a flash in the pan -- carried on his illustrious career at UDC..

Personally I couldn't stand John Thompson.  I had a chance to see him speak on more than one occasion and I remember at one Alum banquet he made what I thought at the time was a pretty insulting speech to the well-healed, monied alums (not me!), and it went over like a lead balloon.  Good thing there was plenty of booze at the event.

Well, those were the good ol days.  I won't ever forget them, but I haven't liked college ball since then.  Thanks for taking me back to a past that was something special for me.  HoyaSaxa!!!!

232561[/snapback]