Is Jameis Winston really worth 1st pick overall?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take him with the top pick. Risk is worth the reward. He's an incredible talent, plays his best in the clutch, has no fear, and is a great leader both on the field and in the locker room. Just gotta hope he's learned from his personal mistakes and matured away from football.

If I was an owner I wouldn't touch someone with the character Jameis Winston has. If you look at all of the great QBs in the league they are all what I like to call "normal people". It's hard to picture him being a bust though given his talent...I'll admit that.

I wonder what they could get in a trade for this pick. They could probably swap first rounders with another bad/desperate team, still draft a stud, get another first next year, suck again, have 2 high picks in 2016, get a QB and another stud and be better off in the long run. Ship it.

If I was an owner I wouldn't touch someone with the character Jameis Winston has. If you look at all of the great QBs in the league they are all what I like to call "normal people". It's hard to picture him being a bust though given his talent...I'll admit that.

I wonder what they could get in a trade for this pick. They could probably swap first rounders with another bad/desperate team, still draft a stud, get another first next year, suck again, have 2 high picks in 2016, get a QB and another stud and be better off in the long run. Ship it.

Roethlisberger was accused of rape twice and wrecked his motorcycle driving without a licence. Ended up suspended for detrimental conduct for a time. He's matured a lot since then, but the style of player Big Ben is is very similar to Winston, so I think that's also a fair on-field comparison.

Roethlisberger was accused of rape twice and wrecked his motorcycle driving without a licence. Ended up suspended for detrimental conduct for a time. He's matured a lot since then, but the style of player Big Ben is is very similar to Winston, so I think that's also a fair on-field comparison.

Definitely see you point and obviously its worked out for Big Ben and the Steelers but I still don't take that risk. Also, what was Ben's tack record before getting drafted??

Cosell gets worse every year. Why do people even care about his opinion?

And Mettenberger was almost as shaky off the field in college as Winston. What a dumb statement and I'm not even a giant Winston fan.

After reading this I had to do a little Googling...thought you'd get a good laugh.

Greg Cosell is an NFL analyst and a senior producer at NFL Films. He is the nephew of iconic broadcaster Howard Cosell. Cosell is widely regarded by NFL insiders as one of the most knowledgeable and trusted football analysts.

Big Ben's off the field issues happened after he was drafted. Had they happened in college i doubt he would have been drafted in the 1st round. As for your on the field comparison, Big Ben played more than 2 years of college ball. Winston came out of nowhere his first year and seriously regressed his second year. Especially the last half of 2014. Either Winston lacks "mental toughness" or college defenses figured him out. Big Ben's best season in college was his last.

IMO

Big Ben's off the field issues happened after he was drafted. Had they happened in college i doubt he would have been drafted in the 1st round. As for your on the field comparison, Big Ben played more than 2 years of college ball. Winston came out of nowhere his first year and seriously regressed his second year. Especially the last half of 2014. Either Winston lacks "mental toughness" or college defenses figured him out. Big Ben's best season in college was his last.

IMO

If by came out of nowhere, you mean as a guy who was the MVP of the Elite 11 and was the highest rated QB in his recruiting class, then sure. Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Its a fair comparison, so if you actually compare the two....big ben had much better stats and only threw 34 total interceptions in 3 years and trended up in nearly every catagory year over year, while Winston threw 28 ints last year alone and trended decidedly downward year over year. FSU kept winning which caused everyone to overlook the actual play on the field. Then when it was time to play against elite talent, Jameis completely imploded in every way possible.....performance, poise, composure and sportsmanship.

Its a fair comparison, so if you actually compare the two....big ben had much better stats and only threw 34 total interceptions in 3 years and trended up in nearly every catagory year over year, while Winston threw 28 ints last year alone and trended decidedly downward year over year. FSU kept winning which caused everyone to overlook the actual play on the field. Then when it was time to play against elite talent, Jameis completely imploded in every way possible.....performance, poise, composure and sportsmanship.

Him staying on the field and congratulating Oregon after the loss while half his team just ran to the locker room certainly showed poor sportsmanship. :rolleyes:

I'd take him with the top pick. Risk is worth the reward. He's an incredible talent, plays his best in the clutch, has no fear, and is a great leader both on the field and in the locker room. Just gotta hope he's learned from his personal mistakes and matured away from football.

Except in the biggest game of 2014. He played poorly in the clutch, he played in fear (how bout that "Statue of Liberty" fumble!) and he was alternately crying and screaming at his HC on the sideline.

No Winston is not worth the 1ast overall and IMO the Bucs take Mariota and Winston slides 5-10 slots. I wouldn't draft him. Way too many question marks. I am a BPA draft guy and would take Vic Beasley for one over Winston

I've heard a lot of GMs and scouts talk about the player evaluation process, and in all the talk, there's two themes that emerge that just can't be quantified:

1) does the player love the game?

2) what's the player's true character--the one that will be revealed when he gets his millions of dollars?

Unless I could answer both questions with a pretty high level of confidence, I wouldn't draft Winston #1 overall.

I've heard a lot of GMs and scouts talk about the player evaluation process, and in all the talk, there's two themes that emerge that just can't be quantified:

1) does the player love the game?

2) what's the player's true character--the one that will be revealed when he gets his millions of dollars?

Unless I could answer both questions with a pretty high level of confidence, I wouldn't draft Winston #1 overall.

If they can't be quantified, how would you answer these questions? How can you reveal true future character/behavior?

If they can't be quantified, how would you answer these questions? How can you reveal true future character/behavior?

You can't...perhaps I worded it poorly; my point is that team's need to do the best they can in terms of getting comfortable with what type of football character and what type of personal character the player has. They'll never be sure, but unless they can feel pretty confident, it's not prudent to spend a high pick on a guy.

incredibly detailed research into their backgrounds going back to grade school. There is never a crystal ball but the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Former HS and college coaches, trainers, teachers also provide a great deal of info to teams on "heart" and "character."

incredibly detailed research into their backgrounds going back to grade school. There is never a crystal ball but the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Former HS and college coaches, trainers, teachers also provide a great deal of info to teams on "heart" and "character."

What would those people say about his alleged rape, his thefts and his public outbursts of "F her right in the P", his shady autograph activity? "Yup, that's our Winston!" or "He was never like that before..."