Attention Southern California Residents:

Just how expensive is it to live there, anyway?

If one were to look for a 3 bedroom house in a modest neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley or out in Ventura or San Bernardino County?

Just sick of east coast weather, and I need to be able to fantasize about living somewhere where it's warm. :w00t:

If one were to look for a 3 bedroom house in a modest neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley or out in Ventura or San Bernardino County?

Just sick of east coast weather, and I need to be able to fantasize about living somewhere where it's warm. :w00t:

232008[/snapback]

Ugh.....I would never move out there......why don't you go down Carolinny way......ol Tobaccy road.

:w00t:

I have a friend in Santa Barbara. It's beautiful. They just bought a 2 BR ranch (new construction) that backs up to a highway (one of those concrete barriers in the backyard). The property is former commercial property, so there are some environmental concerns.

Price: 600,000$.

232008[/snapback]

Earthquakes, wildfires, drought, and when it finally does rain, mudslides.

Ill take a few months of cold and some snow, thanks.

I have a friend in Santa Barbara. It's beautiful. They just bought a 2 BR ranch (new construction) that backs up to a highway (one of those concrete barriers in the backyard). The property is former commercial property, so there are some environmental concerns.

Price: 600,000$.

232067[/snapback]

So, $600k to live on a toxic waste dump next to a highway. Great. :w00t:

It isn't much better here in CT. I've though about moving too, most like to the south.

232008[/snapback]

Looking to leave the paradise that is Allentown?

Looking to leave the paradise that is Allentown?

232262[/snapback]

I hate Pennsylvania, but it's unlikely that I COULD leave even though I want to.

But, I can dream. Dream of more sunny days than cloudy days. Dream of mild winters. Dream of chicks in bikinis.....oops, my bad, got off track there :w00t:

232008[/snapback]

Here's a site that compares housing, taxes, crime, etc between cities.

http://www.bestplaces.net/html/city_compare.asp

Here's a site that compares housing, taxes, crime, etc between cities.

http://www.bestplaces.net/html/city_compare.asp

232394[/snapback]

Hrm, when I tried to do a compare between Diamond Bar and Emmaus, it wouldn't let me do anything but a general. I'll try it from home, thanks.

Good luck. We moved to Denver from South Bay in LA for the ridiculous cost of living. CA state income tax is very high, utilities and gasoline are very high, property taxes are ridiculous, and the actual cost of homes is lucicrous. You can still find reasonable value if you want to live in the Desert, i.e. Lancaster/Palmdale or borderline towns like Riverside/Redlands. But reasonable is still approaching $400K for a 3-bedroom at about 1800 sq feet. Then of course there is the traffic. And in the inland empire, the weather sucks in the summer. It is hot and the smog is bad. The beach towns are great all year round but you can't sniff anything for less than $500k, and that's for a 2-bedroom beach cottage.

In places like Diamond Bar, Chino, Pomona, etc., you'd be looking at least $400K for anything even semi-decent, and more like $500K if you want a nice house around 2000 sq ft.

I really liked living there, but the cost was just not worth it. I think it's a little better south of OC before you get to SD, but I never did much research in that area. Like I said, good luck.

Berg

Just sick of east coast weather, and I need to be able to fantasize about living somewhere where it's warm. :doh:

232008[/snapback]

`

Here's a little graph for you to consider

http://webpages.charter.net/almadizon/RealEstate.html

The further away from the coast you go the better for prices but the commute can be horrendous. Also for most areas every mile you go inland raises the average temperature by one degree.

`

Here's a little graph for you to consider

http://webpages.charter.net/almadizon/RealEstate.html

The further away from the coast you go the better for prices but the commute can be horrendous.  Also for most areas every mile you go inland raises the average temperature by one degree.

233214[/snapback]

Sweet...nice chart.

Thanks.

Too cold. And too many mormons.

232653[/snapback]

Well, it's significantly warmer and sunnier than Buffalo. We are in the desert, after all.

As for the mormons, there are certainly plenty here, of course, but they make up less than half the population in Salt Lake City. Then again, I can see how people might be turned off by living among really nice, friendly, conservative Republicans.

Like I said, keeps the cost of living nice and low around here.

Good luck.  We moved to Denver from South Bay in LA for the ridiculous cost of living.  CA state income tax is very high, utilities and gasoline are very high, property taxes are ridiculous, and the actual cost of homes is lucicrous.  You can still find reasonable value if you want to live in the Desert, i.e. Lancaster/Palmdale or borderline towns like Riverside/Redlands.  But reasonable is still approaching $400K for a 3-bedroom at about 1800 sq feet.  Then of course there is the traffic.  And in the inland empire, the weather sucks in the summer.  It is hot and the smog is bad.  The beach towns are great all year round but you can't sniff anything for less than $500k, and that's for a 2-bedroom beach cottage.

In places like Diamond Bar, Chino, Pomona, etc., you'd be looking at least $400K for anything even semi-decent, and more like $500K if you want a nice house around 2000 sq ft.

I really liked living there, but the cost was just not worth it.  I think it's a little better south of OC before you get to SD, but I never did much research in that area.  Like I said, good luck.

Berg

233038[/snapback]

So what is the state tax in Colorado ? Price of gas? Price of house in the Denver area? And real estate taxes in Colorado? Just curious

Well, it's significantly warmer and sunnier than Buffalo. We are in the desert, after all.

As for the mormons, there are certainly plenty here, of course, but they make up less than half the population in Salt Lake City. Then again, I can see how people might be turned off by living among really nice, friendly, conservative Republicans.

Like I said, keeps the cost of living nice and low around here.

233306[/snapback]

Nice to hear, Rubes. Salt Lake City is at the top of our list when my wife retires.

Nice to hear, Rubes.  Salt Lake City is at the top of our list when my wife retires.

233794[/snapback]

Cool! If you like the outdoors, but prefer to live in a city, I cannot imagine a more perfect place.

Good luck.  We moved to Denver from South Bay in LA for the ridiculous cost of living.  CA state income tax is very high, utilities and gasoline are very high, property taxes are ridiculous, and the actual cost of homes is lucicrous.  You can still find reasonable value if you want to live in the Desert, i.e. Lancaster/Palmdale or borderline towns like Riverside/Redlands.  But reasonable is still approaching $400K for a 3-bedroom at about 1800 sq feet.  Then of course there is the traffic.  And in the inland empire, the weather sucks in the summer.  It is hot and the smog is bad.  The beach towns are great all year round but you can't sniff anything for less than $500k, and that's for a 2-bedroom beach cottage.

I really liked living there, but the cost was just not worth it.  I think it's a little better south of OC before you get to SD, but I never did much research in that area.  Like I said, good luck.

Berg

233038[/snapback]

Question is: is pay proportional to the cost of living? i guess a quick scan of Monster.com would give a good indication.

Question is: is pay proportional to the cost of living? i guess a quick scan of Monster.com would give a good indication.

233888[/snapback]

First of all, Berg hits it on the head with his assessment, though I don't know what property taxes are like in PA. They're definitely not as bad here as in NY, though.

In some cases, salary is somewhat proportional depending on where you live around here. You wouldn't want to live in the Inland Empire, that's for goddam sure, although some people consider Temecula a part of IE, and that's a nice area to live. But during the summer? Hot like a mutha. Beach towns are priced embarrassingly high.

Berg has the right idea: if you can, go to Colorado. It has always been the one place I hoped to close up shop, in part. Great summers. Great winters. Great everything. And if you're single...some smokin' women.

So what is the state tax in Colorado ? Price of gas? Price of  house in the Denver area? And real estate taxes in Colorado? Just curious

233793[/snapback]

State income tax in CO is about 4.6% of taxable income. I don't know California's for this year, but it was always between 8 and 9% when I lived there. Gasoline is 30 - 40 cents cheaper per gallon - at least for regular unleaded, which I think is partly due to the lower Octane level (85 vs 87). Someone told me once that was because of the altitude, but I never verified it. Real estate taxes vary by County, but mine currently are just under 1% (I think about 0.8), whereas California is 1.5%. FYI, CO also does better in the sales tax area, which varies by County as well. Some unicorporated areas have none, but most are between 2 and 7 percent. Last I knew, CA was at 8.5%.

Two nice things about the CO real estate market (if you are buying) is there is plenty of inventory and still a bunch of room for expansion. The second is that I believe in the Denver area there is a community for just about anyone. Downtown homes are older (~50 - 100 years) with the associated character, but along with that more expensive. Golden and Evergreen have log cabins in the woods. Several outlying communities have big multi-acre ranches. Then there are many suburbs, some brand new and others in the 10 - 20 year old range. There are big fancy houses in neighborhoods with great mountain views that are in the millions. Something for everyone.

We bought our house in June of '03 and paid $135 per square foot, which is about 1/4 of what you are looking at in LA County, plus we got a 9000 sq foot lot. Not huge, but thats 2 lots in LA. The place we bought is one of the more expensive suburbs, but since we had reverse sticker shock from LA, we didn't even notice.

Berg

233888[/snapback]

My experience is that it is not offset completely, but most of the larger companies try. And of course it depends on your negotiating skills too.

My experience is that it is not offset completely, but most of the larger companies try.  And of course it depends on your negotiating skills too.

234008[/snapback]

I did one of those thingys to see how much I would have to earn for my dollar to go the same distance in SoCal as it would here, and it said that I'd hve to earn about 10,000 more a year. That's a lot of cashish.

I did one of those thingys to see how much I would have to earn for my dollar to go the same distance in SoCal as it would here, and it said that I'd hve to earn about 10,000 more a year. That's a lot of cashish.

234247[/snapback]

Hey Joe, about 12 years ago I was recruited from my marcom job in Orlando by a software firm in the Silicon Valley. I was earning $25K at the time, and paying no state income tax. In my case, they were very respectful of the differences in the local cost of living, and I was offered $50K plus all moving expenses and temporary housing, which sounds great, except for one thing: state income tax. My first bi-monthly check from the new company was about $100 higher than my last check from my old company, despite my salary doubling.

It's also quite expensive to bring an out-of-state car into California from a registration standpoint, though it is MUCH better now than 12 years ago, when it cost me $800 for my dumpy Nissan pickup truck. Smog issues, don'tcha know.

If you're going to make the move, whomever hires you WILL take this all into consideration.

Hey Joe, about 12 years ago I was recruited from my marcom job in Orlando by a software firm in the Silicon Valley. I was earning $25K at the time, and paying no state income tax. In my case, they were very respectful of the differences in the local cost of living, and I was offered $50K plus all moving expenses and temporary housing, which sounds great, except for one thing: state income tax. My first bi-monthly check from the new company was about $100 higher than my last check from my old company, despite my salary doubling.

It's also quite expensive to bring an out-of-state car into California from a registration standpoint, though it is MUCH better now than 12 years ago, when it cost me $800 for my dumpy Nissan pickup truck. Smog issues, don'tcha know.

If you're going to make the move, whomever hires you WILL take this all into consideration.

234435[/snapback]

You hiring? ;)

234247[/snapback]

When the wife and I moved here - (from OH - 2002) there was a nice relocation package attached (25K over five years) and we landed just before the last price increase in housing so we caught the curve at the bottom. With our past equity we got a NICE condo (no kids) and already have a 40%+ equity in the bank.

400 feet from me - 1.600 sg. ft. single levels homes (new builds) are selling for $560 K and the lot is just a little bigger than the house.

I could cash out now - move to Orchard Park and own some acreage for all my Bills friends to park on - 10 games a year <_<

BTW - as a working couple we did not take a significant increase in our taxes and the cost of living is somewhat lower (utilities) - but then again - no kids !

Gas is gas - we save the difference at COSTCO

Just sick of east coast weather, and I need to be able to fantasize about living somewhere where it's warm. :P

232008[/snapback]

Of those options you'l find Berdoo the most favorable from homecosts to property taxes and cost of living. It'd out you about 70 minutes from the beach in smart traffic conditions and you'd be within 30 minutes of much of the best 4 season golf in the country.

Our neighborhood in Santa MOinca is nuts- I saw a converted set of old bungalows liste at 600K two weeks ago that are one bedroom/650 square foot units. In the mountains where we spend most of our time (north of the SFV about 45 miuntes) pricing way better, about 350K for a 2000 sq foot home. But you will be required to shovel snow, about 9.5 feet so far this year ;-)

Of those options you'l find Berdoo the most favorable from homecosts to property taxes and cost of living. It'd out you about 70 minutes from the beach in smart traffic conditions and you'd be within 30 minutes of much of the best 4 season golf in the country.

Our neighborhood in Santa MOinca is nuts- I saw a converted set of old bungalows liste at 600K two weeks ago that are one bedroom/650 square foot units. In the mountains where we spend most of our time (north of the SFV about 45 miuntes) pricing way better, about 350K for a 2000 sq foot home. But you will be required to shovel snow, about 9.5 feet so far this year ;-)

237089[/snapback]

My brother had a condo in Redondo Beach, Avenue A. very close to Santa Monica and Huntington Beach. Spent many a times off the strand, good times. :P

He sold the place for triple of what he bought it for within 5 years. ;)

Cool! If you like the outdoors, but prefer to live in a city, I cannot imagine a more perfect place.

233845[/snapback]

really? after reading the jon krakauer book 'under the banner of heaven' it makes me question the 'perfect' label...