How does it work when a team brings in a new coach?

K-No

When a new coach comes in, does he bring his own offensive playbook and defensive system?

Or does he bring in an OC and DC and leave the systems up to them?

Do coaches/OCs keep the same systems/playbooks wherever they go?

Or, Is a new playbook developed between the new head coach and his OC for the new team?

When do the players see the new playbook? Do the Bills players have it now in preparation for first team meetings?

I'm wondering if Bills QBs are learning their new playbooks now for spring workouts.

Rookie here, don't beat me up. :)

Hoo boy! A lot to go over here. Too much in fact.

Think of it like this. You're taking a college class.

Every Professor has his own style of teaching and requires different books, texts, and materials for his sessions - even though other Profs teach the same subject matter for the same credit.

It's as different as night and day. You get a great Prof, you're gold and on the Dean's list. You get a stiff, and you're Marooned.

When a new coach comes in, does he bring his own offensive playbook and defensive system?

Or, Is a new playbook developed between the new head coach and his OC for the new team?

When do the players see the new playbook? Do the Bills players have it now in preparation for first team meetings?

I'm wondering if Bills QBs are learning their new playbooks now for spring workouts.

Rookie here, don't beat me up. :)

I think the big thing they have to overcome is terminology.

But consider this

Rex Ryan runs some very exotic blitz package stuff......however.....the bills got a taste of that when Pettine was the DC.

meanwhile

Roman runs some VERY complex running formation stuff....and I expect for that to be the thing that takes the longest to put together on the field.

Hoo boy! A lot to go over here. Too much in fact.

Think of it like this. You're taking a college class.

Every Professor has his own style of teaching and requires different books, texts, and materials for his sessions - even though other Profs teach the same subject matter for the same credit.

It's as different as night and day. You get a great Prof, you're gold and on the Dean's list. You get a stiff, and you're Marooned.

I saw what you did there ;)

but very valid

Rex has his playing style / plays to run, same for Roman.

one would assume that even though the "playbook" may be the same there are changes do to the players and need for new "wrinkles" to work against their opponents

Great questions!

The answer to all of those is... yes.

It really depends on the HC though. A guy like Sean Payton or Jason Garrett have their own Offenses, but probably leave a lot of the Defensive scheming to their DCs. Same but opposite for HCs with their own Defensive systems, like Rex. While some coaches leave both schemes up to their Coordinators and just lend a guiding hand in molding the shape of the systems and the way they are called.

Most coaches keep "their system" wherever they go, but might switch it up slightly depending on personnel and what their HC wants. Under Doug Marone, Mike Pettine and Jim Schwartz were allowed to run "their defenses" pretty much how they pleased, and they brought those schemes along with them.

Not sure how the new playbook thing works out. I could be wrong, but I do not believe the players have the new playbook yet. Not real sure though.

what I've always wondered was what happens after a wholesale house cleaning where the entire staff gets replaced.

Does the outgoing coaches delete/burn/throw-out all of their "research" materials like game tapes, player evaluations, and any other data that they may have had on the team .... or does the GM/President/owner take possession of all that stuff so the incoming staff can use what the see fit to use.

I think every new coaching situation is different. I think with our situation, Rex will obviously be bringing in his defensive playbook, which most of his assistants will be familiar with. The players will adjust quickly to the new scheme, look how well they picked up Schwartz' defense so quickly, not concerned. I think as far as the offense goes, I think Rex will be directing the aggressiveness and philosophy of the offense but, won't be designing the playbook, if that makes sense. I am concerned with offense adjusting to the changes on that side of the ball. Roman's offense seems to have a lot of moving parts and some confusion in the first few weeks is to be expected. Hopefully they adjust quickly and are good to go by regular season. I hope that they don't run a vanilla offense in preseason and actually get these guys in a rhythm of running the normal offense.

Does anyone know when players get first look at playbook to prepare for the upcoming season?

There are strict rules in place (CBA) that limit the amount of contact between coaches and players during the offseason; this extends, I would presume, to things like the playbook (which is now provided electronically on a tablet). I'm just not sure of the dates and when they can give these out.

I would hope most players take it upon themselves to watch film of their new coaches' systems prior to arriving for OTAs.