We Need To Be More Like The Packers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say the Bills need to be better than the Pack was last season.

interesting ......

McCarthy says Packers will use more shotgun and pistol next season

the point of the thread was to be more like the Packers in FA strategy/building a team. Not more like them in actual games. Though that would be nice but we don't have the qb. Which also goes back to why we can't emulate their FA strategy at this point. But whaley wants to next year.

There is no "owner" in Green Bay. Football guys running a football team.

Recent success in GB traces back to Ron Wolf. Hired as GM in 1991, he hired John Schneider (current Seattle GM), Ted Thompson (current GB GM), John Dorsey (current KC GM), Scot McCloughan (SF GM during recent success and now GM of the Redskins), and Reggie McKenzie (current GM in Oakland). Holmgren took Schneider with him to Seattle.

You need the right FOOTBALL guys in the personnel department evaluating players and fitting them together. Besides Bill Polian and John Butler who has ever left the Bills personnel department and had success elsewhere?

It was refreshing to see Whaley given the green light to shake up the personnel department this offseason. The foundation is being built.

Marc Ross has done a decent job with the Giants. Of course we got Ross from the Eagles so he wasn't truly howngrown.

the point of the thread was to be more like the Packers in FA strategy/building a team. Not more like them in actual games. Though that would be nice but we don't have the qb. Which also goes back to why we can't emulate their FA strategy at this point. But whaley wants to next year.

retaining ones FA is nice. BUT when needed, you need to upgrade. My premise is this - since the Bills stymied them and they didn't make it to the big dance - they need an upgrade

Where other than from inside have the Packers upgraded?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/17/2015-nfl-free-agency-compensatory-picks/

that is the way to go. works with madden too :D

The Bills are in line for a few compensatory picks next year. Jerome Felton's contract (4 years $9 million) and Clay's (5 years $38 million) contract are the only ones that count against us. We've lost Searcy (4 years $24 million), Pears (2 years $5 million), Lee Smith (3 years $9 million), Scott Chandler (2 years $5 million), and C.J. Spiller (4 years $16 million). Incognito and Harvin don't count because they were cut by their former teams, and McCoy doesn't count because he was acquired by trade. I wouldn't expect a 3rd or a 4th, but given we have a net loss of three UFAs, I would expect we get at least a couple late round picks. I know there are some sites out there that have gotten close to nailing the formula the NFL uses.