The dangers of our new normal...

this is providing the nsa a huge and unwarranted benefit of the doubt.

what evidence do we have against malicious intent?

the irs targeting is an example for it.

lets remeber that there are people looking at this data, some of which is quite titilating and some quite valuable. whether or not we trust the organizations, why should we trust the individuals?

I only provided the NSA the benefit of the doubt for the sake of argument, because I didn't want crocodumbass to waster our time saying "There's no evidence they're abusing their power. Double dumbass on you!"

And frankly, I trust the individuals far more than the organizations. I've met very few dishonest government workers (I've met FAR more dishonest people in the private sector). Bureaucracy, though...

I only provided the NSA the benefit of the doubt for the sake of argument, because I didn't want crocodumbass to waster our time saying "There's no evidence they're abusing their power. Double dumbass on you!"

And frankly, I trust the individuals far more than the organizations. I've met very few dishonest government workers (I've met FAR more dishonest people in the private sector). Bureaucracy, though...

from the limited number of folks i've known in gov't, i agree. that's why it shocks me that few are complaining about private insurance companies knowing their intimate health details while having kinniptions at the thought of the gov't having access. ideally, neither would have them or they would be available without names attached.

Edited by birdog1960

from the limited number of folks i've known in gov't, i agree. that's why it shocks me that few are complaining about private insurance companies knowing their intimate health details while having kinniptions at the thought of the gov't having access. ideally, neither would have them or they would be available without names attached.

Part of it is that government holds private insurers accountable for their malfeasance, should it occur. If a private insurance company ignores HIPAA or has improper data security controls, they're subject to the government's wrath.

But no one holds government accountable. If the government ignores HIPAA or has improper data security controls, there's far less recourse.

You need that defined for you? No wonder you can't find your ass from your elbow in this thread. :lol:

The State: A body politic, especially one constituting a nation.

Hmmm. I could have sworn it was like California or New York. :huh:

Selection bias. You work in private sector serving the government, so the industry attracts people who are more apt to game the system because the opportunity is so large.

Selection bias. You work in private sector serving the government, so the industry attracts people who are more apt to game the system because the opportunity is so large.

Not quite as bad a selection bias as you'd think - as a contractor, I meet a lot from both worlds.

I'll admit there's still selection bias, though. Not as many contractors as you'd think try to game the system, but a hell of a lot still do.

Part of it is that government holds private insurers accountable for their malfeasance, should it occur. If a private insurance company ignores HIPAA or has improper data security controls, they're subject to the government's wrath.

But no one holds government accountable. If the government ignores HIPAA or has improper data security controls, there's far less recourse.

i don't think that's necessarily true. for example, the mercenary military contractors often get away with way more shite than the regular military

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwater_Worldwide

In his testimony before Congress, Prince said his company has a lack of remedies to deal with employee misdeeds. When asked why Andrew Moonen had been "whisked out of the country" after the shooting death of the vice-presidential guard, he replied, "We can't flog him, we can't incarcerate him."[147] When asked by a member of Congress for financial information about his company, Prince declined to provide documentation, saying "we're a private company, and there's a key word there – private."[148] Later he stated that the company could provide it at a future date if questions were submitted in writing.[149][150] When the term "mercenaries" was used to describe Blackwater employees, Prince objected, characterizing them as "loyal Americans

Edited by birdog1960

You need that defined for you? No wonder you can't find your ass from your elbow in this thread. :lol:

The State: A body politic, especially one constituting a nation.

Oh, did you go back and edit your post about the state thinking? Funny little man! :lol:

Goofball Greg, this guy sounds like your sky is falling sort of person. He's made it to Fox, maybe he can get a book deal too to sell to paranoids like you:

"It's really a-- turnkey situation, where it could be turned quickly and become a totalitarian state pretty quickly," he said. "The capacities to do that is being set up. Now it's a question of if we get the wrong person in office, or if certain people set up their network internally in government, they could make that happen quickly."

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/12/nsa-data-center-front-and-center-in-debate-over-liberty-security-and-privacy/

Oh, did you go back and edit your post about the state thinking? Funny little man! :lol:

Goofball Greg, this guy sounds like your sky is falling sort of person. He's made it to Fox, maybe he can get a book deal too to sell to paranoids like you:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/12/nsa-data-center-front-and-center-in-debate-over-liberty-security-and-privacy/

I didn't edit and don't know what you're talking about. Unlike you, I actually am participating in this conversation and even answering your questions. You have yet to answer mine, you've only doubled down on stupid.

Let's try it again: Define what privacy means, how it impacts a democratic society and how it's currently under threat from the security apparatus.

I'll wait.

Until you can do that, you have nothing more to add to this thread and I suggest you go about your business.

Oh ya! The surveillance state strikes again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPMvP1-vVP8

:worthy:

How would you define things that can hurt the country? How would the government define things that can hurt the country?

Why would you like to know? Why do you ask really stupid questions?

How the hell is it that you're still posting in this thread? Do you enjoy being pummeled that much?

Whatever D-bag Tom.

Why would you like to know? Why do you ask really stupid questions?

Stupid questions? You're the one that mentioned they are stopping things that could hurt the country. I'm just looking for clarification is all. And also I'm wanting to know if you're at all concerned that this power will be abused?

Stupid questions? You're the one that mentioned they are stopping things that could hurt the country. I'm just looking for clarification is all. And also I'm wanting to know if you're at all concerned that this power will be abused?

Not my fault you are too stupid to know what hurts the country

Not my fault you are too stupid to know what hurts the country

Oh not my question. The question I'm really asking is what things do you think the government thinks hurts the country. Does the IRS targeting conservative groups ring a bell??