Would you, right now, trade EJ for Tannehill? Chapter 2

FireChan

222 members have voted

1. 1. EJ for Tanny straight up?

• Yes
    • No

That's a tough argument to make. Again, his playoff rating is 108.6. If he had enough games to qualify (think that he needs 1 more) he'd be the highest of all-time. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career_playoffs.htm?mobile=false

NFL playoff games are not about QB rating. They're about what you do for your team in the second half to help your team win the game.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL playoff games are not about QB rating. They're about what you do for your team in the second half to help your team win the game.

I agree. Take Wilson vs Green Bay in the NFC Championship game. He was awful for 3 and 3/4s of that game... but in the last 4 minutes he made explosive plays with his legs and his arm to win his team a ball game. Did his defense help keep him in the game - sure.... but had the Quarterback been Smith or Tannehill the defense keeping you in it would have been for nought, because they wouldn't have been able to do what Wilson did.

Fair enough but you are saying he is a bad clutch QB. I am saying the numbers say the exact opposite of that. In fact, they say that he has played as well as anyone ever in the playoffs. Whether or not you want him is a different story. The fact remains that he has played great in the playoffs. There are much better examples of bad clutch QB play than a guy with 108.6 rating in the playoffs. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Suddenly, an eight year veteran NFL QB like Alex Smith can all of a sudden have all these excuses pulled out of you know where as to why his team lost even though his team only scored 3 points in the last 28 minutes of a playoff game. Yet the second year QB Manuel gets no excuses. It's too funny...LOL

Dude football is a team game. Much more so than most other sports in fact. It takes 22 guys. You cannot simply point out W-L record all the time. The Bills were 9-7 last year with putrid QB play. People (including myself) are even more excited about the team's prospects this year and there is, at the moment, no reason to be more optimistic about the QB position. Russell Wilson, as much as I like him, wouldn't have been 12-4 on the Jaguars last season. Regardless, Alex Smith was 30-46 for 378 yards, 4 TD's and 0 picks in the game. If you had to bet your life, would you bet that EJ has a game like that ever?

I'd take out Palmer probably but other than that - yep that is what I am thinking. I might even add Kaepernick in because whilst he is wildly inconsistent as a passer he has won his team play-off games with explosive plays... albeit with his legs.

The Cardinals absolutely could have gone to the Super Bowl if Palmer kept playing at the level he was playing and they got homefield- as they were on track to.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I am responding to this older post just because no matter what you say, no matter how logical, rational and or honestly these Trolls will never give up.

They would rather tear the board down than act like an adult and agree to disagree.

Last week one asked if we could stop the arguing and be friends, Less than 7 days later he's at it again.

I am doing my best to ignore their rants. Granted Ignoring them won't stop them but it will improve the circle jerk they seem to enjoy.

PLEASE stop calling people trolls. Your posts are so weird sometimes that lots of people think you may be trolling. But yes, let's be friends.

Here is the end of the argument until training camp, OK:

You think the jury is out on EJ. You're not saying he is going to be the franchise QB but you think there is no way of knowing for sure; it's still way too early. If pressed though, yes, you believe (you have stated) that EJ Manuel will be the Bills starting QB on opening day in 2017.

I agree with you that the jury is still out. However, I respectfully opine, based on what I have seen thus far, that the odds are rather slim that EJ develops into a franchise QB. I would give the odds of him being our starting QB on opening day in 2017 at about 5:1. It would surprise me if he won the job from Matt Cassel in fact. I sincerely hope he does. But I do not agree with some of you that two years is still way too early to make any judgments whatsoever on a QB's future success. Have some QB's looked one way after two years and their careers ended up drastically different? Yes of course.

That's all.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Why should I? Does the name offend you? Trolls are people looking for attention on the internet soliciting discord by starting arguments or upsetting people.

If you don't see that then you my friend are blind.

If it does offend you (a) - Then please GIVE UP the minute my minute EJ sucks crusade. You agreed last week to do so, You gave up pretty damn fast,

If it does offend you (b) - If this upsets you so much please add me to your Ignore Preferences.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Why should I? Does the name offend you? Trolls are people looking for attention on the internet soliciting discord by starting arguments or upsetting people.

Then please GIVE UP the minute my minute EJ sucks crusade. You agreed last week to do so, You gave up pretty damn fast,

If this upsets you so much please add me to your Ignore Preferences.

Trolls start arguments? Yikes. Looks like everyone with an idea is a troll.

If it does offend you (a) - Then please GIVE UP the minute my minute EJ sucks crusade. You agreed last week to do so, You gave up pretty damn fast,

If it does offend you (b) - If this upsets you so much please add me to your Ignore Preferences.

Dude I just laid out a perfectly nice, non-controversial post and you completely ignored it. Read what I said about EJ. Do we agree as to where we stand?

was I talking to you?

No, you butted in adding to the argument. thanks for proving my point and irritating every poster sick of the BS.

good day,

Trolls start arguments? Yikes. Looks like everyone with an idea is a troll.

Dude I just laid out a perfectly nice, non-controversial post and you completely ignored it. Read what I said about EJ. Do we agree as to where we stand?

yes, I am well aware of your opinion as you of mine.

So lets stop all EJ bantering until the summer not only between us but between everyone else you and I have argued this point with this last week and more

The Cardinals absolutely could have gone to the Super Bowl if Palmer kept playing at the level he was playing and they got homefield- as they were on track to.

Nah. I don't agree. They'd have had a better chance than with Ryan freaking Lindley though I will grant you that.

was I talking to you?

No, you butted in adding to the argument. thanks for proving my point and irritating every poster sick of the BS.

good day,

yes, I am well aware of your opinion as you of mine.

So lets stop all EJ bantering until the summer not only between us but between everyone else you and I have argued this point with this last week and more

Yes let's.

Dude football is a team game. Much more so than most other sports in fact. It takes 22 guys. You cannot simply point out W-L record all the time. The Bills were 9-7 last year with putrid QB play. People (including myself) are even more excited about the team's prospects this year and there is, at the moment, no reason to be more optimistic about the QB position. Russell Wilson, as much as I like him, wouldn't have been 12-4 on the Jaguars last season. Regardless, Alex Smith was 30-46 for 378 yards, 4 TD's and 0 picks in the game. If you had to bet your life, would you bet that EJ has a game like that ever?

Alex Smith was having a very unexpectedly fantastic 4 TD game. Then he turned back into the real Alex Smith when he saw the Colts weren't going to give up.

EJ is never going to be a huge numbers guy. If that's what you're looking for then of course you can see only disappointment and heartbreak ahead. What I see is a QB who just might have that big play clutch factor. Time will tell for EJ, he's young. However, Smith is getting a little too old to show that he's got what it takes.

I think it's great that fans support EJ, but the extent to which some people, often times otherwise intelligent people, feel they need to go to prop him up and defend him is down right creepy. Knowing that people can become that emotionally invested in a guy they don't even know is disturbing to me.

I think it's great that fans support EJ, but the extent to which some people, often times otherwise intelligent people, feel they need to go to prop him up and defend him is down right creepy. Knowing that people can become that emotionally invested in a guy they don't even know is disturbing to me.

The only "propping up" has been pointing out that he wasn't as horrific as the haters have claimed he's been. The facts just don't support it. Manuel's numbers 14 starts in are right there with Tannehill's first 14 starts.

The supporters are not saying that he's good or he's going to be good, just that he's not worthy of the level of trashing he's been getting.

The only "propping up" has been pointing out that he wasn't as horrific as the haters have claimed he's been. The facts just don't support it. Manuel's numbers 14 starts in are right there with Tannehill's first 14 starts.

The supporters are not saying that he's good or he's going to be good, just that he's not worthy of the level of trashing he's been getting.

Has EJ only started 14 games? Are you sure about that? I'm not saying you're wrong, It's just the first time I've heard it.

and neither side wants to give up stating their case

round and round we go ....

black_white_optical_illusion_round_stick

Has EJ only started 14 games? Are you sure about that? I'm not saying you're wrong, It's just the first time I've heard it.

10 in his rookie season 4 last season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00.htm

Hah.

Alex Smith was having a very unexpectedly fantastic 4 TD game. Then he turned back into the real Alex Smith when he saw the Colts weren't going to give up.

EJ is never going to be a huge numbers guy. If that's what you're looking for then of course you can see only disappointment and heartbreak ahead. What I see is a QB who just might have that big play clutch factor. Time will tell for EJ, he's young. However, Smith is getting a little too old to show that he's got what it takes.

Alex Smith went to the NFC Championship. I don't think you can be a choker to get there.

Why do you think EJ might have the clutch play factor?

Why do you have to be a "troll" or a "supporter"?

I don't think EJ has played as poorly as some of his biggest critics on this thread and indeed this board think he has (certainly not when considered relative to other 1st and 2nd year Quarterbacks not name Luck or Wilson). However, I actually share there scepticism that he is going to develop into the high level starter the Bills need. That's based a bit on numbers a bit on the eye test and bit just on a guy feeling I get watching the kid play.

And I was a "draft EJ" guy back in 2013 and would still given that situation where we forced ourselves into that corner in that crappy QB class pick EJ from that group again. Nobody is a bigger fan of the kid but we cannot will him into the player we want him to be. He will either be it or he won't.