Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

It is correct, if they offered him on Wednesday, Miami would have until Monday to match it...now they have all their roster reshaping done, and all the time they want since there is no offer sheet.

The Dolphins get five days to match any offer for Charles Clay, after the offer sheet is put in by the Bills, Browns or whomever.

It's not correct because had they submitted the offer sheet prior, the Dolphins would know exactly what they had to do roster wise to match the deal. Because the Dolphins don't know the exact structure of the sheet, they're forced to make moves based on their guess what the Bills would do. It's making the job harder for the Dolphins, not easier.

You should take some time and read up on the transition tag and what those kinds of negotiations really involve. It's more complex than what Mario faced, doubly so when they're trying to pry Clay away from a divisional foe.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gresham will most likely not sign before Clay's situation is resolved because he wants to see the going rate. Another reason why it's silly to worry about the timing of something you don't seem to fully understand.

I completely understand it...there's not much to understand.

Charles Clay is a restricted free agent, Miami retained his rights on the transition tag. Another team can sign him for at least $7M+, and Miami has 5 days to match that offer from the time it is made. If they do not match it, then Clay goes to the team who put in the offer. If they do match it, he stays in Miami.

It's pretty easy to understand, actually...what is not easy to understand is why Buffalo didn't give him an offer sheet, what are they gaining by waiting? Nothing.

Meanwhile, Miami is getting the benefit of not being on a 5-day clock to match an offer, instead being able to focus their resources to reshaping their roster.

Ooh. Right for the "can't read" gambit. Nice.

The gun to Mario's head was in the form of making him the highest paid defender at the time. I'm sure that Clay could have been tempted by a similar offer, but that would have been absurd.

The transition tag on Clay also complicates the issue on several levels.

Most importantly, it takes two and there's every reason to believe that Clay's first preference is to return to Miami. It was never a question of simply not "letting" him leave.

GO BILLS!!!

I`m done with Clay and his games. Move -on.

Ooh. Right for the "can't read" gambit. Nice.

The gun to Mario's head was in the form of making him the highest paid defender at the time. I'm sure that Clay could have been tempted by a similar offer, but that would have been absurd.

The transition tag on Clay also complicates the issue on several levels.

Most importantly, it takes two and there's every reason to believe that Clay's first preference is to return to Miami. It was never a question of simply not "letting" him leave.

GO BILLS!!!

No, it wasn't...I didn't expect them to MAKE him STAY in Buffalo.

You just went and took one small part of a statement, to make it look like I said something that I did not say...ignoring my entire statement in the process.

Well done.

I completely understand it...there's not much to understand.

Charles Clay is a restricted free agent, Miami retained his rights on the transition tag. Another team can sign him for at least $7M+, and Miami has 5 days to match that offer from the time it is made. If they do not match it, then Clay goes to the team who put in the offer. If they do match it, he stays in Miami.

It's pretty easy to understand, actually...what is not easy to understand is why Buffalo didn't give him an offer sheet, what are they gaining by waiting? Nothing.

Meanwhile, Miami is getting the benefit of not being on a 5-day clock to match an offer, instead being able to focus their resources to reshaping their roster.

Again, the underlined section shows you don't really understand this issue as well as you think you do.

If not this year, we might get him next year after the tag expires. Get gresham for a 1 year deal in the interim

Miami won't keep him for only a year, they will need to work out a long-term deal...if they want to keep him.

That is probably the only way he DOESN'T come to Buffalo, is if they give him something long-term, which is what they are trying to do this weekend.

Again, the underlined section shows you don't really understand this issue as well as you think you do.

Ok, so then...explain what Buffalo is gaining by waiting until Miami clears enough cap space to keep him?

My opinion on Buffalo's handling of the situation has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on here.

This is ALL there is to understand about Charles Clay and his situation...

"Charles Clay is a restricted free agent, Miami retained his rights on the transition tag. Another team can sign him for at least $7M+, and Miami has 5 days to match that offer from the time it is made. If they do not match it, then Clay goes to the team who put in the offer. If they do match it, he stays in Miami."

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

Miami won't keep him for only a year, they will need to work out a long-term deal...if they want to keep him.

That is probably the only way he DOESN'T come to Buffalo, is if they give him something long-term, which is what they are trying to do this weekend.

While the Dolphins want him long term, the tag only guaruntees 1 year...

It does not need to be 7m+. That's what the transition tag would pay him, any team can offer him whatever contract they seem fit. If he signs that offer, that's what he'll be paid, unless the fins give him more.

No, it wasn't...I didn't expect them to MAKE him STAY in Buffalo.

You just went and took one small part of a statement, to make it look like I said something that I did not say...ignoring my entire statement in the process.

Well done.

You said that the Bills never should have let him leave. Not much nuance there, so I don't think I missed anything, either in meaning or intent.

Subsequent posts in response to others, suggest you don't have an appreciation for the complexity of the situation. You certainly don't need me to point them out.

GO BILLS!!!

I did. Twice now.

If I have a bill to pay, and I can have either 5 days or a couple weeks to figure out how to pay it...I will take the extra time, because it is beneficial to me, not the bill collector.

Miami is benefitting from the extra time. Bottom line. No matter what happens, they WILL know how much the offer sheet is for and have time to figure it out and match it.

I won't be surprised to see him re-signed in Miami before Buffalo evens puts an offer sheet on the table, that is the point...huge waste of time and resources.

You said that the Bills never should have let him leave. Not much nuance there, so I don't think I missed anything, either in meaning or intent.

Subsequent posts in response to others, suggest you don't have an appreciation for the complexity of the situation. You certainly don't need me to point them out.

GO BILLS!!!

Did I?

"Their biggest mistake was letting him leave *WITHOUT AN OFFER*...there is zero chance they get him now."

Try again.

I've been so used to Twitter blowing up with news that now its back to normal and I just keep refreshing the page over and over again waiting for a deal to happen. No news on Clay since yesterday makes me think the Dolphins are trying to sign him long term

I've been so used to Twitter blowing up with news that now its back to normal and I just keep refreshing the page over and over again waiting for a deal to happen. No news on Clay since yesterday makes me think the Dolphins are trying to sign him long term

They are, it was reported all day yesterday...they want Cameron and Clay for Lazor's offense, as they have plans for a Gronk/Wright duo.

(Forgot the Miami reporter who tweeted that exact idea...but there is this from another Miami reporter.)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-perkins-im-almost-sold-on-dolphins-pairing-tes-charles-clay-and-jordan-cameron-20150313-story.html