Mariota "underwhelms" at Pro Day

In this case the game tape fits the pro day. He is a runner. He throws 8 yard curls. That is it. He threw a few deep posts to guys that were open bye 10 yards against the worst competition. He couldn't solve OSU's defense. He is going to be absolutely awful in the NFL.

You do realize that he was 20-26 (and should have been 22-26 if not for 2 egregious drive-killing drops of well thrown balls) for 262 yards, 2 tds, and 0 INTs through most of 3 quarters, right? That's just over 10 yards per attempt. after that the game got out of hand because Oregon was incapable of stopping OSU. Basically, he played extremely well for the part of the game that mattered, but his teammates - particuarly the defense - did not. Sometimes I wonder whether people actually pay attention to these games ...

Edited by dave mcbride

Watching Mariota, I always felt that he was accurate, but didn't have much zip on the ball. It would take forever to reach the receivers; since they were so wide open it wouldn't matter. In the NFL those get picked off.

I'm not a scout but I've stayed next door to a Holiday Inn Express.

So wait, what does that say about Jameis Winston. If Mariota's passes will be picked off in the NFL but weren't (only 4 ints last year and 14 in 3 years) in college, what will happen with Crabman who threw more ints last year (18) than Mariota has in his enitre college career. I ain't buying that the ACC has better defenses than the PAC-12.

Edited by Garranimal

People haven't learned about putting too much stock on pro days from Teddy Bridgewater. The game tape should always be the basis of your evaluation.

Agreed. Pro Days are stupid. Bridgewater was far and away the best QB in his draft (I still worry about his arm strength). It also helped Bridgewater that he got Norv Turner as his OC too.

Also, Manziel doing his pro day in pads is super funny. He's like a little kid trying to prove he can play with the big kids.

So wait, what does that say about Jameis Winston. If Mariota's passes will be picked off in the NFL but weren't (only 4 ints last year and 14 in 3 years) in college, what will happen with Crabman who threw more ints last year (18) than Mariota has in his enitre college career. I ain't buying that the ACC has better defenses than the PAC-12.

They both might not be good NFL QBs?

You do realize that he was 20-26 (and should have been 22-26 if not for 2 egregious drive-killing drops of well thrown balls) for 262 yards, 2 tds, and 0 INTs through most of 3 quarters, right? That's just over 10 yards per attempt. after that the game got out of hand because Oregon was incapable of stopping OSU. Basically, he played extremely well for the part of the game that mattered, but his teammates - particuarly the defense - did not. Sometimes I wonder whether people actually pay attention to these games ...

You love bringing up those stats -- but they came on three drives. The opening drive of each half and then one two drive stretch in the fourth when the game was won. He didn't play as well as you recall. The rest of the game he was shut down by the most NFL type defense he faced his whole career. His lack of performance in that game really hurt his stock in a lot of scouts' eyes, I've heard it from several different folks I trust.

I watched almost all of his college games in his career, I won't say he's going to bust because I'm not a QB guru and who knows. In truth, I'm rooting for him more than Winston in this class. But the guy has a long ways to go before he's ready to be an everyday starter in the NFL. He's not a ready-to-start-from-day-one QB in any other system but Philly's.

I wonder this in a nutshell as well. Move himself down to get a starting job for the Eagles.

You love bringing up those stats -- but they came on three drives. The opening drive of each half and then one two drive stretch in the fourth when the game was won. He didn't play as well as you recall. The rest of the game he was shut down by the most NFL type defense he faced his whole career. His lack of performance in that game really hurt his stock in a lot of scouts' eyes, I've heard it from several different folks I trust.

I watched almost all of his college games in his career, I won't say he's going to bust because I'm not a QB guru and who knows. In truth, I'm rooting for him more than Winston in this class. But the guy has a long ways to go before he's ready to be an everyday starter in the NFL. He's not a ready-to-start-from-day-one QB in any other system but Philly's.

All I know is that Mariotta reminds me a lot of Jason Sehorn.

GO BILLS!!!

Of course he didn't succeed on every drive - he wasn't playing cal; he was playing the most talented team in the nation. To have a number of good drives against a great team while not scoring every time is no great shame. And recall that his receivers dropped two third down passes that killed promising drives. I guess i just disagree with your fundmantal premise - that three good drives against an elite team is somehow bad. 20-25 points through less than 3 quarters is hardly bad.

And yes, i do love bringing up those stats because they put the lie to the claim that he didn't play well, at least for the portion of the game when it was within reach for oregon.. Also recall that the oregon coach made a bad decision and went for it ona fourth-and-significant-yardage instead of kicking the easy fg early on.

Edited by dave mcbride

Of course he didn't succeed on every drive - he wasn't playing cal; he was playing the most talented team in the nation. To have a number of good drives against a great team while not scoring every time is no great shame. And recall that his receivers dropped two third down passes that killed promising drives. I guess i just disagree with your fundmantal premise - that three good drives against an elite team is somehow bad. 20-25 points through less than 3 quarters is hardly bad.

And yes, i do love bringing up those stats because they put the lie to the claim that he didn't play well, at least for the portion of the game when it was within reach for oregon.. Also recall that the oregon coach made a bad decision and went for it ona fourth-and-significant-yardage instead of kicking the easy fg early on.

I guess that's where we see it differently. I didn't see a number of good drives, I saw three. Three drives the entire four quarters where Mariota looked the part. Two of those three drives came right out of the locker room (first drive of each half). That doesn't mean much on the surface, but it's interesting to me that his best success in that game came during the most controlled parts of the game -- and one of those great drives was one play.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you or him. I'm not even saying they lost the game because of him. I'm just looking at that game as a scout evaluating the QB. And what I saw, and a lot of the scouts I talked to, was a guy who hurt his stock with that game, he raised way more questions about his prospects than he answered.

bust! :D

he has the talent but not being in a pro system will delay his development if he does ay all

I'll tell you what, if i were a QB coming out of school these days, i wouldn't attend any all-star games, i wouldn't attend the combine and I wouldn't host a pro-day....and let the best scouting department draft me. All that the hairdo and McShay have done is create a system that completely tears apart a QB for no other reason than generate increased viewership and clicks.

Meanwhile, the GHB toting Crabman, who threw 18 pics, regressed year over year and turned in a completely horrific bowl performance including an artistic recreation of the butt-fumble without the butt, is touted as a sure thing.

Sports media has become a system of crusaders, each trying to crusade harder than the next guy. Sadly, you have fewer and fewer guys like Ditka who are willing to tell these other idiots to shut up. And even Ditka is watered down because the who circus is just one big fraternal organization.

I'll tell you what, if i were a QB coming out of school these days, i wouldn't attend any all-star games, i wouldn't attend the combine and I wouldn't host a pro-day....and let the best scouting department draft me. All that the hairdo and McShay have done is create a system that completely tears apart a QB for no other reason than generate increased viewership and clicks.

Meanwhile, the GHB toting Crabman, who threw 18 pics, regressed year over year and turned in a completely horrific bowl performance including an artistic recreation of the butt-fumble without the butt, is touted as a sure thing.

Sports media has become a system of crusaders, each trying to crusade harder than the next guy. Sadly, you have fewer and fewer guys like Ditka who are willing to tell these other idiots to shut up. And even Ditka is watered down because the who circus is just one big fraternal organization.

Winston is touted more because he's been the best QB in the country at every level he's played at, not because of the combine. He's played in a pro style offense where he's had to actually read defenses, unlike Mariora who was protected by a system. It's a lot easier to throw picks when you are counted on to make the reads. Maybe Mariota can do that, but no one knows yet.

Edit: Mike Ditka is also the idiot that set the Saints back years with the Ricky Williams trade.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall