The Beatles: Favorite Album and Why

Gugny

This is not an attempt to determine their best album; I ask that we all refrain from "going there." This isn't a right/wrong discussion.

I honestly have a difficult time naming my favorite Beatles album.

Sometimes I can narrow it down to Abbey Road and the White Album. But then I remind myself of the brilliance of Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and Let it Be.

My knee-jerk answer is usually Abbey Road. I love that album. The creativity, the lyrics, the different guitars, the way the entire album just flows. The medley is unparalleled, in my opinion.

The White Album contains some of my most favorite Beatles tunes and it also has the only Beatles tune that I can honestly say I thought was a waste of vinyl ... Number 9.

My buddy and I went through an exercise like this with Van Halen. Neither of us could decide what our favorite album of theirs was. We had an hours-long discussion, dissecting all of their work (Roth/Hagar) and finally agreed that VHII was their best. But perhaps that's another thread for another day.

This thread is to discuss the Beatles' works and to share what each of our favorites are and why. It can be because one song "gets you," (I cried 4 times when I saw McCartney live - there are songs that "get" all of us); or it could be the lyrical content or the harmonies or the bass lines or whatever.

Let's have fun with this one for as long as possible.

Abbey Road, though, like you, I could go 5 different ways depending on the day I'm asked.

The 2nd side of Abbey Road is brilliant. The medley, drum solo and trio of dueling guitars works so well. Love the "Her Majesty" Easter egg. "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make," is the greatest final line of a band's final album, ever. ( and yes, Abbey Road is the final album even though the Phil Specter- ruined Let It Be was released last).

Side one features George's twin masterpieces, "Here Comes the Sun" and "Something," which Frank Sinatra called, " One of the greatest love songs of the 20th Century." Is there a better opening tune than "Come Together," on any album ever?

Also, "She's So Heavy" is a great rocker with one of Paul's great bass lines.

Add in an iconic album cover and a slew of "Paul is Dead" clues and, yeah, it gets my vote. Of course, maybe tomorrow I'll make the case for The White Album. :)

I am going with the American albums, cuz that is what I grew up on. While I love "Abbey Road" and the white album (properly known as "The Beatles"), to me, what makes the Beatles, the Beatles is the earlier stuff. I love that "middle period"..."Help", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver"....but my favorite was/is "Beatles '65" It had songs like "I'm A Loser", "No Reply", "Baby's In Black"...just a little more adult than "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand"...but not as trippy as they would get. Just perfect pop albums for me. If you are a little younger, and only know the cd's, you grew up with the British releases..."Beatles '65", "Beatles VI" and "Help" would be covered by the British versions of "Help!", and "Beatles For Sale".

"Beatles VI" holds a special place for me, because it is the first record I ever purchased, with my own money. Every record I had before that was a handme-down, or a gift...but I heard the song "Eight Days a Week" and I just had to have it...spent my own snow shoveling money down at AM&A's on "Beatles VI". Soon discovered gems like "You Like Me Too Much" and, my now, personal favorite, "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party"

Love it. I'll buy you a "28 IF" companion plate for your birthday.

Now THAT would be cool. Would only mean something to very few!

I am going with the American albums, cuz that is what I grew up on. While I love "Abbey Road" and the white album (properly known as "The Beatles"), to me, what makes the Beatles, the Beatles is the earlier stuff. I love that "middle period"..."Help", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver"....but my favorite was/is "Beatles '65" It had songs like "I'm A Loser", "No Reply", "Baby's In Black"...just a little more adult than "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand"...but not as trippy as they would get. Just perfect pop albums for me. If you are a little younger, and only know the cd's, you grew up with the British releases..."Beatles '65", "Beatles VI" and "Help" would be covered by the British versions of "Help!", and "Beatles For Sale".

"Beatles VI" holds a special place for me, because it is the first record I ever purchased, with my own money. Every record I had before that was a handme-down, or a gift...but I heard the song "Eight Days a Week" and I just had to have it...spent my own snow shoveling money down at AM&A's on "Beatles VI". Soon discovered gems like "You Like Me Too Much" and, my now, personal favorite, "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party"

Admittedly, I haven't spent equal time on the earlier stuff. Although, I have given it some focus and it was even apparent in those recordings that they were ahead of their time. I think Paul's version of "Till There Was You," (in hindsight, obviously) was pretty indicative of something unique and special. Rubber Soul was a complete separation and it was only a year later. They moved very quickly. Rubber Soul is where my deepest admiration for their music begins.

Revolver.

Because it has the same appeal as Rubber Soul, but more refined. But it's not full-on !@#$ you like Pepper.

The White Album is their marvelous player-for-player showcase.

Abbey Road is transcendent.

And the shortcomings of Let it Be are amplified by Let it Be...Naked.

On the back end, had it not been for a late-year rush, had the best of Beatles for Sale and Help! been combined into one polished album, then nobody's taking about Rubber Soul as the "turning point."

But WTF do I know? I was born in '84.

I've always referred to Beatles '65 as Beatles for Sale. But it sounds like you and I definitely see eye to eye on the music of the thing.

Can't overlook that Paperback Writer and Rain come from that period. As my Beatles fanaticism began to wane after college, Rain was the track I returned to more so than any other.

Edited by The Big Cat

"A Hard Days Night" is flawless. And it is just the guys playing rock, in a room with basic rock instrumentation, and I don't think there are any studio musicians involved ( maybe some keys from George Martin).

Best song? "She Loves You". It has that Beatles feeling of pure euphoria. No one had ever felt that rush before. Creamed panties and raised fists with one song!

Same as everybody here, depends on when you ask me. White Album has some great songs on it, Blackbird, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun. But there's also a lot of garbage on there. The Beatles were going through their roughest period as a band, so it's mostly just a collection of solo work from the band. Ringo quit for two weeks, and Paul is playing drums on USSR and I think another one too.

Abbey Road is one of those albums that are great to listen to as a whole. Side one, literally any one of those songs could be it's own single. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is one of my top 5 Beatles songs. It took me a while, because I hated the abrupt ending, but came to embrace it. Side two is just a great thing to listen to.

As brilliant as Sgt. Pepper is, I'm more of a fan of raw music, as opposed to heavily orchestrated and high production, which is probably why I'm a bigger stones fan. Although that's arguably history's first concept album.

Revolver and Rubber Soul are so similar that I kind of forget which songs go where, but Rubber Soul was the first full Beatles album I owned, and so it holds a special in my heart. That was their first huge breakout from the kiddy pop albums.

Same as everybody here, depends on when you ask me. White Album has some great songs on it, Blackbird, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun. But there's also a lot of garbage on there. The Beatles were going through their roughest period as a band, so it's mostly just a collection of solo work from the band. Ringo quit for two weeks, and Paul is playing drums on USSR and I think another one too.

Abbey Road is one of those albums that are great to listen to as a whole. Side one, literally any one of those songs could be it's own single. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is one of my top 5 Beatles songs. It took me a while, because I hated the abrupt ending, but came to embrace it. Side two is just a great thing to listen to.

As brilliant as Sgt. Pepper is, I'm more of a fan of raw music, as opposed to heavily orchestrated and high production, which is probably why I'm a bigger stones fan. Although that's arguably history's first concept album.

Revolver and Rubber Soul are so similar that I kind of forget which songs go where, but Rubber Soul was the first full Beatles album I owned, and so it holds a special in my heart. That was their first huge breakout from the kiddy pop albums.

Cool.

So funny how different things strike people differently.

The abrupt ending of "She's So Heavy," and immediate beginning of "Here Comes the Sun," is one of my favorite segues by any artist/album, ever. I thought it was pure genius.

Speaking of Revolver, the harmony that Paul hits in "I'm only Sleeping," in the lyrics "keepin' an eye on the world going by my window," is something I never get sick of hearing. All of Paul's vocals are great, in my opinion, but that one line has always made me smile.

Cool.

So funny how different things strike people differently.

The abrupt ending of "She's So Heavy," and immediate beginning of "Here Comes the Sun," is one of my favorite segues by any artist/album, ever. I thought it was pure genius.

Speaking of Revolver, the harmony that Paul hits in "I'm only Sleeping," in the lyrics "keepin' an eye on the world going by my window," is something I never get sick of hearing. All of Paul's vocals are great, in my opinion, but that one line has always made me smile.

Yes. This. All of this. :thumbsup:

Like with many others, naming my favorite depends on what day I'm asked. I tend to like certain albums for one specific song which, to me, stands out above the others on that particular record. Generally speaking, my favorite Beatles albums were those from around the mid point of their career and after. Since my favorite Beatles song is probably 'I Am The Walrus', I'll have to go with Magical Mystery Tour as my favorite, but there are so many great songs that they did throughout the years, that naming one song/album as their 'best' is pretty much an impossible task.

Like with many others, naming my favorite depends on what day I'm asked. I tend to like certain albums for one specific song which, to me, stands out above the others on that particular record. Generally speaking, my favorite Beatles albums were those from around the mid point of their career and after. Since my favorite Beatles song is probably 'I Am The Walrus', I'll have to go with Magical Mystery Tour as my favorite, but there are so many great songs that they did throughout the years, that naming one song/album as their 'best' is pretty much an impossible task.

MMT was very weak as a full album though. Sometimes I feel they were trying to make a Sgt. Pepper II and it just didn't work.

Weak is a relative term btw. I mean weak in comparison to other Beatles albums.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

MMT was very weak as a full album though. Sometimes I feel they were trying to make a Sgt. Pepper II and it just didn't work.

Weak is a relative term btw. I mean weak in comparison to other Beatles albums.

Yeesh .. I'd never call this album weak, even in comparison to their other work. Magical Mystery, Fool on the Hill, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Hello Goodbye, All You Need Is Love .... those are just the popular ones. I think every song on the album is great. But the popular ones, alone, make this a pretty awesome album.

But ... again .. this is all opinion. Although MMT would never be considered to be MY favorite Beatles album, I'm not surprised it would be on others' list.

Yeesh .. I'd never call this album weak, even in comparison to their other work. Magical Mystery, Fool on the Hill, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Hello Goodbye, All You Need Is Love .... those are just the popular ones. I think every song on the album is great. But the popular ones, alone, make this a pretty awesome album.

But ... again .. this is all opinion. Although MMT would never be considered to be MY favorite Beatles album, I'm not surprised it would be on others' list.

Maybe my memory is just linked to how bad the movie was. Lol.

What would you consider their weakest link?

Maybe my memory is just linked to how bad the movie was. Lol.

What would you consider their weakest link?

It's really hard for me to say. I don't consider any of their albums even close to bad ... I can't even say one is less than great. But for the sake of playing along, I'll go with "Please Please Me" because of the lack of original material.

It's really hard for me to say. I don't consider any of their albums even close to bad ... I can't even say one is less than great. But for the sake of playing along, I'll go with "Please Please Me" because of the lack of original material.

I'm actually listening to MMT now. I love that slow build up mid song.

I remember when Let It Be came out. They played Across the Universe almost non-stop.

I think I actually like Hey Jude best. Songs from different phases all in one place. Rain was my first ever air-drums song.