No.12 UB vs. No.5 WVU Fri 3/20 2pm NCAA Rd.2

Second year under Bobby Hurley the Bulls are poised to win the MAC East again, they are in play for #1 seed over all. Hurley has brought in some ballers! Bearden is amazing to watch, Evans hits threes like layups, Moss and Ford are monsters inside. Watch this team!!

http://youtu.be/Znx0_jHo_dU

Cue to :50 of a clip from Tuesday's game. They are #7 and #5!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second year under Bobby Hurley the Bulls are poised to win the MAC East again, they are in play for #1 seed over all. Hurley has brought in some ballers! Bearden is amazing to watch, Evans hits threes like layups, Moss and Ford are monsters inside. Watch this team!!

Can clinch at least a tie for the East division and a bye in the MAC tourney with a win this Friday! Go UB!

Edited by ricojes

The MAC tourney is wide open this year. With that being said UB has as good of chance as any to cut down the nets in Cleveland. They got one thing going for them. They have been playing lights out for the past month & seem like they are peaking at just the right time. If they do win their tournament my guess is they will be a 12 seed in the NCAA's & they are going to give whatever 4 seed they end up playing all they could handle. What is kind of weird is I believe their RPI is in the low 30s but they have not been mentioned once as a possible bubble team. I don't think they have beaten a top 50 team this year & that is probably why.

Edited by Gordio

The MAC tourney is wide open this year. With that being said UB has as good of chance as any to cut down the nets in Cleveland. They got one thing going for them. They have been playing lights out for the past month & seem like they are peaking at just the right time. If they do win their tournament my guess is they will be a 12 seed in the NCAA's & they are going to give whatever 4 seed they end up playing all they could handle. What is kind of weird is I believe their RPI is in the low 30s but they have not been mentioned once as a possible bubble team. I don't think they have beaten a top 50 team this year & that is probably why.

They are #31 in RPI rank which means they should be a bubble team. But we all know it only works that way if you are from a power conference. They don't want cinderellas knocking off major schools.

I'm a fan of White's so far, but if UB makes the NCAAs for the first time, I suspect Hurley will get sniffs from power conference schools. Maybe even without a berth. Either way, I hope White can keep the hiring momentum going. I actually liked the Leipold hire.

not a UB fan, but hopefully Shaka Smart started a trend of building and sticking with a program for a while. Coaches like that become almost royalty...Shaka Smart can do no wrong in Richmond. The college basketball landscape has changed and 'lesser' schools are becoming more and more viable every season.

I'm a fan of White's so far, but if UB makes the NCAAs for the first time, I suspect Hurley will get sniffs from power conference schools. Maybe even without a berth. Either way, I hope White can keep the hiring momentum going. I actually liked the Leipold hire.

They are #31 in RPI rank which means they should be a bubble team. But we all know it only works that way if you are from a power conference. They don't want cinderellas knocking off major schools.

Well, the committee is big on top 50 wins & UB has none. That right there is going to knock them out from consideration as an at large. When got that at large bid back in the late 90's(when they should of beat Kentucky in the first round) their RPI was around 50 but I remember they had 4 or 5 top 50 wins. But with the right matchups I really think UB could see the second week of the tournament. They would be a 12 seed & end up playing a team like Baylor.

not a UB fan, but hopefully Shaka Smart started a trend of building and sticking with a program for a while. Coaches like that become almost royalty...Shaka Smart can do no wrong in Richmond. The college basketball landscape has changed and 'lesser' schools are becoming more and more viable every season.

The lesser schools or not the blue blood premier schools are becoming more attractive because at those schools kids stick for more then one year. Noone talks about this but it is a great advantage at schools where the talent gap isn't enormous with the big boys like VCU/Witchita St/Northern Iowa come tournament time that these teams are bring senior laden teams that have been playing together for 4 years against bigger schools that are playing mostly freshman & sophomores.

Ahh, the conspiracy theories...geez, man, it's just so not true. The committee wants to put the best teams in the tourney, period. There are always teams from the big conferences whining and moaning about how they didn't get in.

Ahh, the conspiracy theories...geez, man, it's just so not true. The committee wants to put the best teams in the tourney, period. There are always teams from the big conferences whining and moaning about how they didn't get in.

Yeah all things being equal they want to put the best teams in but you would be naive to think that the power conferences don't have considerably more pull in that meeting room come selection Sunday. It is a catch 22 for the smaller conference schools. They don't have the top 50/top 100 wins that the bigger schools have since if you are a good mid major the bigger conferences won't schedule you. There is definately less margin for error for the mid majors getting at large bids.

Edited by Gordio

Well, the committee is big on top 50 wins & UB has none. That right there is going to knock them out from consideration as an at large. When got that at large bid back in the late 90's(when they should of beat Kentucky in the first round) their RPI was around 50 but I remember they had 4 or 5 top 50 wins. But with the right matchups I really think UB could see the second week of the tournament. They would be a 12 seed & end up playing a team like Baylor.

That was St. Bonaventure. UB has never made the tournament, although they should have in 04-05 with Turner Battle leading the way. That was a good team...I'll be there Friday, GO UB!

That was St. Bonaventure. UB has never made the tournament, although they should have in 04-05 with Turner Battle leading the way. That was a good team...I'll be there Friday, GO UB!

Yeah I know UB never made the tournament & I also know it was St Bonaventure. I just forgot to put Bona before that sentence. I remember that game like it was yesterday. I was just out of college & had my first real job. Me & my friends all blew off work that afternoon & watched the game up at Coulter bay. Man did we get loaded that day. I ended staying there to about midnight. My then girlfriend(now my wife of 14 years) had to come pick me up that night. I could barely walk out of the bar. She should of known that was signs to come. haha That was a good time that day.

That Turner Battle team was good but if memory serves me correctly they really blew the championship game in the Mac that year I believe against Ohio? They were up big all game & let Ohio come back & put it into overtime(it might not of been Ohio, could of been Akron or kent St).

Yeah all things being equal they want to put the best teams in but you would be naive to think that the power conferences don't have considerably more pull in that meeting room come selection Sunday. It is a catch 22 for the smaller conference schools. They don't have the top 50/top 100 wins that the bigger schools have since if you are a good mid major the bigger conferences won't schedule you. There is definately less margin for error for the mid majors getting at large bids.

Less margin for error -- yes. "Fear of big schools losing to cinderellas" -- no.

Edited by eball

Yeah I know UB never made the tournament & I also know it was St Bonaventure. I just forgot to put Bona before that sentence. I remember that game like it was yesterday. I was just out of college & had my first real job. Me & my friends all blew off work that afternoon & watched the game up at Coulter bay. Man did we get loaded that day. I ended staying there to about midnight. My then girlfriend(now my wife of 14 years) had to come pick me up that night. I could barely walk out of the bar. She should of known that was signs to come. haha That was a good time that day.

That Turner Battle team was good but if memory serves me correctly they really blew the championship game in the Mac that year I believe against Ohio? They were up big all game & let Ohio come back & put it into overtime(it might not of been Ohio, could of been Akron or kent St).

It was Ohio, fell apart down the stretch...

It was Ohio, fell apart down the stretch...

Yes it was Ohio, I remember I was at my Brother in law's stag watching the game & thinking around the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half how cool is this 2 WNY teams are going to make the tournament in the same year(Niagara won their Conf Championship the week before). Niagara ended up playing Kansas. I knew they were going to get blown out. UB on the other hand was a legit top 30 team that year & would of gave their first round opponent all they could handle. Too bad they got snubbed. Have a good time tonight at the game. I love this time of year!

Edited by Gordio

One sports-related statistics site gives UB a 57% chance of landing a bid currently -- 36% chance of getting the auto-bid by winning the tourney, and 21% chance of landing an at-large bid.

One sports-related statistics site gives UB a 57% chance of landing a bid currently -- 36% chance of getting the auto-bid by winning the tourney, and 21% chance of landing an at-large bid.

37 in RPI, but will probably go down after playing BG, but still the highest in the MAC. They would have to lose in the championship game to even be considered for an a-large though, even then it would be a long shot but they would have to consider 23 or so wins.

Edited by ricojes

37 in RPI, but will probably go down after playing BG, but still the highest in the MAC. They would have to lose in the championship game to even be considered for an a-large though, even then it would be a long shot but they would have to consider 23 or so wins.

They are not getting an at large I don't care what their RPI # is. They got to win their conference tourney, which the way they are playing I would probably put them as the slight favorite over the rest of the contenders (toledo, akron, cent mich, bowling green, kent st).