Former Bills OC Moving Up The Ranks in Green Bay

Nanker

Interesting that Bennett got the OC rather than Van Pelt. My guess is that Van Pelt is gone after next season. Several teams wanted to interview him for OC this season and Green Bay would not allow it.

What's with all these "Associate head coach" titles people are getting? Is this a new trend or have I just not been paying attention the last 10 years?

It's to keep them from making a lateral move.

What's with all these "Associate head coach" titles people are getting? Is this a new trend or have I just not been paying attention the last 10 years?

see below.

but adding to that teams have the ability to block lateral moves as it is and GB is one of best/worst (depends on which side of the aisle you're on). They do not let their coaches interview outside of their team and have been accused of ruining the careers of coaches. A coach like Van Pelt, instead of having the option to move on could be retained and delegated to lesser roles until forgotten and no longer relevant. Sure, he may be titled OC or QB coach but he may only be doing game film or something ridiculous. Former GB coaches have accused the team of doing this.

It's to keep them from making a lateral move.

I don't see how this makes GB better as one of the reasons for GB's success recently is bc of McCarthy's ability as a play caller

My guess is this changes by mid season and McCarthy ends up calling plays again

I don't see how this makes GB better as one of the reasons for GB's success recently is bc of McCarthy's ability as a play caller

My guess is this changes by mid season and McCarthy ends up calling plays again

Do you think that this is a step toward Rodgers calling his own plays (ala Peyton Manning)? Just curious...

Edited by Captain_Quint

McCarthy/Rodgers calling the plays is what cost them the game in Buffalo this year and ultimately home field advantage during the playoffs.

They abandoned the run. All they had to do was keep running the ball and they would have easily won that game.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

They could have beat Seattle if it wasn't for Rogers injury. I wouldn't blame McCarthy or the plating calling for their playoff loss

I don't think anyone blames McCarthy for the Seattle loss. That was already dealt with when they fired Slocum. He is being blamed for his over reliance of passing the ball as evidenced in the loss at Buffalo, which cost them home field advantage in the Playoffs.

They were gashing us on the ground that game. It is mystifying as to why they went away from it.

I don't think anyone blames McCarthy for the Seattle loss. That was already dealt with when they fired Slocum. He is being blamed for his over reliance of passing the ball as evidenced in the loss at Buffalo, which cost them home field advantage in the Playoffs.

They were gashing us on the ground that game. It is mystifying as to why they went away from it.

You're kidding, right? I'm not even a GB fan and I blame him. You don't kick FGs when you're inside the 3-yard line -- ever. Every piece of statistical analysis available to mankind makes it clear that the expected points average of going for the TD is greater than taking the FG.

Edited by eball

You're kidding, right? I'm not even a GB fan and I blame him. You don't kick FGs when you're inside the 3-yard line -- ever. Every piece of statistical analysis available to mankind makes it clear that the expected points average of going for the TD is greater than taking the FG.

He did it twice from the 1 yd line. Just another coach that a great QB made into a "genius".

Interesting that Bennett got the OC rather than Van Pelt. My guess is that Van Pelt is gone after next season. Several teams wanted to interview him for OC this season and Green Bay would not allow it.

If this is true, it goes against the norm in the league. Most teams allow their coaches an interview with other teams as long as its NOT lateral.

No I am not kidding. I live in Packerland and have heard various opinions, and I disagree with your opinion.

Hostile road environment. You put points on the board there. You go for it and don't get in, that hostile road environment just got a lot more hostile. Both those field goals shut the crowd up immediately, and further more it's not the reason they lost the game. Either the interception that Burnett just went down on, the fake field goal, or the onsides (where the hands player was not allowed to catch the ball by a blocking player) were far more significant plays.

Since two out of the three were special teams, and Slocum was already on thin ice--he got axed.

If this is true, it goes against the norm in the league. Most teams allow their coaches an interview with other teams as long as its NOT lateral.

It's true. St. Louis and Cleveland both wanted to interview him. Green Bay has been doing this for years.

No I am not kidding. I live in Packerland and have heard various opinions, and I disagree with your opinion.

Hostile road environment. You put points on the board there. You go for it and don't get in, that hostile road environment just got a lot more hostile. Both those field goals shut the crowd up immediately, and further more it's not the reason they lost the game. Either the interception that Burnett just went down on, the fake field goal, or the onsides (where the hands player was not allowed to catch the ball by a blocking player) were far more significant plays.

Since two out of the three were special teams, and Slocum was already on thin ice--he got axed.

Well, you're wrong. If you don't make the TD the opponent has the ball on their 1 yard line; the odds of them having a scoring drive from that start position are somewhere between slim and none. Then you still get the ball back in good field position. Those FGs didn't shut anybody up; the crowd knew it was a "win" for the defense, and so did the Seahawks.

It's a matter of being overly conservative and "old school" vs. actually understanding how the statistics work in your favor.

Well, you're wrong. If you don't make the TD the opponent has the ball on their 1 yard line; the odds of them having a scoring drive from that start position are somewhere between slim and none. Then you still get the ball back in good field position. Those FGs didn't shut anybody up; the crowd knew it was a "win" for the defense, and so did the Seahawks.

It's a matter of being overly conservative and "old school" vs. actually understanding how the statistics work in your favor.

You can think what you want, watch the replay. Both unequivocally shut the crowd up. Statistics are just that, statistics. They prove nothing. Now, if you had the same statistics representing the same players on both sides of the ball, you might have a decent argument.

You can think what you want, watch the replay. Both unequivocally shut the crowd up. Statistics are just that, statistics. They prove nothing. Now, if you had the same statistics representing the same players on both sides of the ball, you might have a decent argument.

The fact you claim an 18-yard FG "silenced the crowd" tells me all I need to know, and I'll end my participation in this debate now.

Tom Clements Bills OC in 2004-2005 and the Offensive Coordinator at Green Bay is promoted to Associate Head Coach with play calling responsibilities. The OC position is now Edgar Bennett's.

Mike McCarthy will no longer be calling the plays, instead focusing on game managing.

Yeah, maybe that's a GOOD idea...