All time dumbest playcall in a Super Bowl with game on line

patfitz

I said it before and I'll say it again. The only reason this has picked up so much traction is because Collinsworth said it and millions are parroting him.

Why aren't people saying the same things about Harbaugh? Because the announcer on TV didn't tell them to, that's why. People are so easily led.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it before and I'll say it again. The only reason this has picked up so much traction is because Collinsworth said it and millions are parroting him.

Why aren't people saying the same things about Harbaugh? Because the announcer on TV didn't tell them to, that's why. People are so easily led.

Can't agree with you there. I was saying WTF when Lynch was lined up like it was going to be a pass. When I saw an inside slant - I really said WTF...............I was pissed and didn't even realize it was intercepted until Michaels said it.

I am a long-time lurker and a big fan of this board. Grew up in Rochester and a huge Bills fan--my number one team to this day, though I have lived in Seattle since I was 30 (I'm now 46). Have gradually become a Seahawks fan and they are definitely my #1b team now. Have been to some great Seahawks games--last year's SB, and this year's NFC Championship game, most recently. Anyway, I feel like I may be one of a small number of people who has experienced the crushing emotions of being BOTH an intense Bills fan for wide right and an intense Seahawks fan for whatever we call the result on Sunday. Both were horrible in their own way; I'm not here to compare and contrast or offer any analysis (beyond the obvious that it is rather amazing to me that a man whom I will never meet or know, Bill Belichick, played a role in these two, searingly awful events that I will take to my grave). The only other thing I'd say is that going through something like this when you have a SB win under your belt is simultaneously better and worse than when you don't. Better because you have that set of memories to fall back on; worse because the contrast is so strong--I did not realize until attending the SB last year when the 'Hawks crushed the Broncos just how big a void there was in my heart from the Bills' 4 SB losses. A lot of that void was filled by last year's Super Bowl, and for this I will be eternally grateful to the Seahawks. I look forward to the day when Bills fans the world over have that void filled. Go Bills! And here's to the character that comes from rising above crushing defeat.

Edited by allenwebb

Problem 1, they were in shotgun on the 1 yard line. Something Hackett might have called for us but Seattle can't be that dumb.

Then I thought they must be running the option play and they will just hand it off. No messing around its 1 yard.

Omg they are throwing?

Omg did they just pick that off? Lol

You have Marshawn Lynch. Get under center and hand him the ball and you win the super bowl. Wow.

OK they have the ball on the goal line there's still hope if you can bust through and get a safety.

Omg they just jumped offsides?

Total choke job by Seattle. I'd be devastated if that was my team. What a disaster. What a way to lose

While I would have handed it off, it's not that simple that they would have scored..

Lynch was stonewalled a bunch of times in that game. Especially when the Pats had a heavy defense as they did on that play.

i thought the harbaugh ones were as bad or worse, but this will definitely be the one people remember

Key point here. The Pats DL did a nice job against Lynch in the first half, but he and the OL wore them down in the second half. A goal line stand there seems highly improbable.

Looked to me like Wilson finally began hitting passes, which forced them out of their run formations, which is when they began to have success with the runs.

But they were back in heavy. I think people are kidding themselves it would have been automatic on that play if it had been a run.

Looked to me like Wilson finally began hitting passes, which forced them out of their run formations, which is when they began to have success with the runs.

But they were back in heavy. I think people are kidding themselves it would have been automatic on that play if it had been a run.

they stopped him on the last 3rd and 1 not long before, which was a very big stop. theres a good chance the hawks score if they run with lynch (even better chance on a qb sneak), but i dont think it was a "gimme" situation like many are portraying. good odds, but not cant miss

22 of 24 carries he gained a yard or more. This was less than a yard, He would have had three chances. They also have the best running QB in the league.

they stopped him on the last 3rd and 1 not long before, which was a very big stop. theres a good chance the hawks score if they run with lynch (even better chance on a qb sneak), but i dont think it was a "gimme" situation like many are portraying. good odds, but not cant miss

Not a gimme. Pass was the right call just not inside slant, especially to a rookie who hadn't done much that year. My best guess is that when PC called for a pass he didn't mean that pattern. But it was too late to change it Edited by JTSP

That's great. Forgot about that one.

Watch the play. KC effectively blows coverage and leaves Stevie Johnson wide open in the middle, just a few yards in front of Tuel. No one covers Stevie. He is waving his arm the entire time.

Had Tuel simply looked straight in front of him and had the presence of mind to "see" what was happening RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM he would have tossed the ball to Stevie for an easy TD.

Instead, Tuel is obviously stuck in thought, and performing like a programmed robot with an intention only to do a single thing. Get ball from center, drop back, turn right to designated receiver, throw him the ball.

I ramble on like this only because this play is a great example why Jeff Tuel can't play QB in the NFL and why so many others can't either.

What is lacking with a lot of these guys is all mental; it's all what's going on in their head. Stay calm and composed; look; see; a lot of it is absolutely not physical.

They mostly all have prototypical bodies/athletic talents anyway.

Has anyone in the NFL developed a completely mental type of test for QBs? If not, why not? It should test ability to find an object in a cluttered field, doing simple things calmly in a controlled manner but with the pressure of a timer counting down against them, things like this.

I'm sure some psychologists could whip up some interesting tests.

This is what I'd be testing for a QB coming out of college, not measuring their 6'4" frame and asking them to throw 10 footballs through a bushel bucket from 8 yards away in 1 minute or that type of nonsense.

Can't agree with you there. I was saying WTF when Lynch was lined up like it was going to be a pass. When I saw an inside slant - I really said WTF...............I was pissed and didn't even realize it was intercepted until Michaels said it.

You may have, but for every one of you there are 500 dipshits just parroting what Collinsworth said as if it was their original thought.

If I'm wrong then why didn't they **** all over Jim Harbaugh when he did the same damn thing?

You may have, but for every one of you there are 500 dipshits just parroting what Collinsworth said as if it was their original thought.

If I'm wrong then why didn't they **** all over Jim Harbaugh when he did the same damn thing?

That wasn't my experience. In a bar with a crowd of Australians who generally don't know the finer intricacies of the game, and the vast majority were stunned at the play call.....even the Pats fans. This was before Collinsworth made his comments on the play.

Also, there is a world of difference between the decision to pass on 2nd and goal from the 5(49ers) than 2nd and goal from less than 1(Seahawks).

That wasn't my experience. In a bar with a crowd of Australians who generally don't know the finer intricacies of the game, and the vast majority were stunned at the play call.....even the Pats fans. This was before Collinsworth made his comments on the play.

Also, there is a world of difference between the decision to pass on 2nd and goal from the 5(49ers) than 2nd and goal from less than 1(Seahawks).

I didn't even hear Collinsworth say anything. I was too busy screaming at them for not running Lynch or Wilson and yelling at the TV it was the worst call I had ever seen. ;)

I thought the 9ers were closer, so that is a significant difference. Regardless, I still don't think if you present the scenario to most people in advance, without the benefit of hindsight, that they say going pass in that situation is the height of stupidity. Some may, but most would not; not like this anyway.

And if they score on that play (or even throw an incomplete pass) no one's ripping the call like this.

If he runs Lynch at the goal line 3 times and gets stuffed all 3 times I think he takes a lot of heat for not giving Wilson a chance to make a play.

I thought the 9ers were closer, so that is a significant difference. Regardless, I still don't think if you present the scenario to most people in advance, without the benefit of hindsight, that they say going pass in that situation is the height of stupidity. Some may, but most would not; not like this anyway.

And if they score on that play (or even throw an incomplete pass) no one's ripping the call like this.

If he runs Lynch at the goal line 3 times and gets stuffed all 3 times I think he takes a lot of heat for not giving Wilson a chance to make a play.

I don't think 80% of the people complaining it was the worst call ever would have been saying that if Wilson rolled out and was trying to run it in if he could or just throw a simple pass to someone who flared out. It was a combination of about 10 factors in one that made it "the worst call" and not just that they didn't hand it to Lynch the next play.

I don't think 80% of the people complaining it was the worst call ever would have been saying that if Wilson rolled out and was trying to run it in if he could or just throw a simple pass to someone who flared out. It was a combination of about 10 factors in one that made it "the worst call" and not just that they didn't hand it to Lynch the next play.

Let's not pretend that was a terribly complicated pass. There are very few pass plays that are immune to the trifecta of a lazy route, great defensive play and worst possible ball placement. Its like calling a run with a bad snap, bobbled exchange on the handoff and a guy shooting a gap on the line.

It was an inside slant with a hole in the line to get the ball out clean, no lb or safety inside, and just a udfa corner over the top. If I told you the super bowl came down to that you'd bet your house on the offense.

Let's not pretend that was a terribly complicated pass. There are very few pass plays that are immune to the trifecta of a lazy route, great defensive play and worst possible ball placement. Its like calling a run with a bad snap, bobbled exchange on the handoff and a guy shooting a gap on the line.

It was an inside slant with a hole in the line to get the ball out clean, no lb or safety inside, and just a udfa corner over the top. If I told you the super bowl came down to that you'd bet your house on the offense.

Yeah. What he said.

That's not the point. The point is, again, you had the best toughest RB and the very best running QB, with three quarters of a yard. You look to run. Wilson is unbelievably great at making one guy miss. He also does a little fake run and then pop pass over the heads of the onrushing guys trying to stop him from running. If they would have called a fade it also would have been the worst call. The point is, the game is on the line and you do what you do best from less than a yard. What they do best is not gun a slant pass to an average WR.