Name Your Favorite Patriots Scandal

Favorite Patriots Scandal  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Patriots Scandal

• Belichick Announces He's Patriots Head Coach at Press Conference to Introduce Him as Jets Head Coach
    • Tuck Rule
    • Spygate
    • Walt Coleman & "The Crew"
    • Substitution-Gate
    • Deflate-Gate
    • They're Next One Whatever it is-- They Seem to Outdo Themselves Each Time
    • Too Many to Choose
    • Snowplow-Gate
    • Other

Apparently it was "I resign as the HC of the NYJ." And it's alternatively reported as a napkin or a piece of note paper (I'd originally heard napkin, so I stick with that).

But yeah, that's what he did. And then joined the Pats. And said he didn't quit the Jets to coach the Patriots, he quit the Jets because of the uncertainty in the management of the team. Even though the Pats had asked permission to interview him, and been denied permission, and talked to him anyway. Thus kicking off his long history of following rules to the letter while bending or breaking them in spirit.

Which is why it's my favorite. In retrospect, it's a blatantly obvious foreshadowing of his whole cheating dynasty.

And the league agreed with that and that's why pats had to give jets a 1st round pick. Edited by JTSP

You forgot a few Joe.

After their blowout in their first SB appearance, it was alleged that Raymond Clayborn, Roland James, Tony Collins, and Irving Fryar smoked marijuana (scandalous at the time), and Fryar bet on NFL games. :o

Doug Flutie crossed the NFLPA striking picket line to play for the Replacements*. (So did Jim Hasslet and a host of others though.)

Their original owner Billy Sullivan lost his shirt promoting The Jackson Five's "Victory Tour" and had to sell the team to Victor "She's a classic B word!" Kiam. Robert Perryman, Michael Timpson, Zeke Mowatt, and the team were fined by The League for sexually and verbally harassing reporter Lisa Olsen.

The stadium they played in was built on someone else's land and went into bankruptcy. The team was shopped around all of New England and nearly was moved to St Louis.

Apparently it was "I resign as the HC of the NYJ." And it's alternatively reported as a napkin or a piece of note paper (I'd originally heard napkin, so I stick with that).

But yeah, that's what he did. And then joined the Pats. And said he didn't quit the Jets to coach the Patriots, he quit the Jets because of the uncertainty in the management of the team. Even though the Pats had asked permission to interview him, and been denied permission, and talked to him anyway. Thus kicking off his long history of following rules to the letter while bending or breaking them in spirit.

Which is why it's my favorite. In retrospect, it's a blatantly obvious foreshadowing of his whole cheating dynasty.

Don't forget that was payback for the JESTS meddling with Parcells to get him as their HC in '97. The Pats* got NYJ's 3rd and 4th picks in the '97 Draft, 2nd pick in the '98 Draft, and 1st in the '99 Draft in compensation. For the record, that's more than we gave up to get Sammy.

Interesting take on the Pats from 1993 (my favorite is Andre Tippett harassing female reporters)

http://articles.philly.com/1993-08-10/sports/25970479_1_million-megaplex-pats-domed-stadium-and-convention

There have been numerous calamities since the Patriots made their only Super Bowl appearance in 1986 - and were crushed, 46-10, by the Chicago Bears. A drug scandal. A player stabbed by his wife. Two others shot in nightclubs. The locker-room harassment of a female reporter. The embarrassment of former owner Victor Kiam's inane public pronouncements and then his financial ruin.

All of these factors have combined to make the Pats as popular in New England as a case of the red tide. Indeed, Boston may be the only city in the nation where the football team ranks fourth among the pro teams in public interest. The club is so intent on changing its image that it scrapped its 33- year-old logo and color combination in favor of a silver-and-blue Minuteman that some say looks suspiciously like Elvis.

Where are the 2004 AFCCG when the Pats* defenders had free reign to absolutely mug any receiver wearing Colts white, or the "inadvertent whistle" that stopped a Nate Clements pick 6 of Tommy Boy that would probably have sealed a Bilks victory against the Cheats* in 2006 or so?

So many to choose from.....

Don't forget...This almost started WWIII (OK maybe not). The White House DID get involved and encouraged Robert Kraft (very strongly) to just let Mr. Putin keep the ring as a gift. So...am I any less American if I believe the Russian gentleman has more credibility than Kraft?

0.jpg