A little love for Marshawn

rfk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He gets showered in Skittles after every TD... He uses his TDs for celebrations he practices, obscene gestures... He doesn't have a problem. He just knows how to get the coverage and loves it.

So because a person can make an obscene gesture means he has no anxiety/mental issues whatsoever? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

"like a dog on the corner, who can't raise his head, he settles for lifting his leg instead" ~ danny o'keefe

aggression in response to fear is a survival tool that's hard to outgrow without help.. and it's in the best interest of the NFL to keep such help at a distance.. the 'brand' can tolerate the occasional instance of a player taking his sociopathic behaviour to the streets, as long as the majority of madness manifests itself as contolled violence on gameday. when Lynch hangs up his cleats, I hope he gets the help he needs.. whatever that may be..

Stop it... IMO the guy is and overgrown kid with a, likely, severe social anxiety disorder. We don't know what he's been through.He grew up in Oakland and is lucky that he is not dead from a gang or police bullet. He doesn't want or can't articulate himself in the media spotlight. He's been burned by the media types.He is a hell of an athlete and plays with a huge heart..not to mention a tree stump body.. Buffalo should have looked at him as a fish out of water, never should have drafted him..Go Marshawn! I'm looking forward to watching him run over the Patriot D and inflict some pain.

Why should we stop it? Shouldn't this be your message to him? Shouldn't he feel and act like he's lucky?

he completely stays out of the media incurring hundreds ofthousands of dollars in fines, and your conclusion is he does it for more media attention?

some people are truely dense.

But you're ignoring the attention-seeking fines he also incurs, like the crotch grab and trying to wear golden cleats. The guy isn't as much of a hermit as you're all making him out to be.

No but Lynch doesn't which is why it makes sense in this case.

Not trying to be a jerk, but how can you honestly make that statement unless you are actually his personal physician? I have no clue if there is anything wrong with him, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out he does have some ongoing anxiety problems.

The guy also attended UC Berkeley. He majored in social welfare. The continued assertion by some on these boards that he is merely "dumb" is, itself, dumb.

You can't seriously consider a college athlete's "education" as an indicator of intelligence.

This thread (and topic) is spinning out of control and it's time for me to bow out. I've shared what I've been told and provided my thoughts as well. Clearly there are issues there but people refuse to separate the situation from the person. Marshawn has had his share of transgressions with the law, no doubt. By pretty much all accounts he is a jovial guy and a great teammate. The people that interact with him on a day to day basis like him a lot.

My issue isn't with people hating Marshawn (even though I like him). It is with the ridiculousness of the NFL mandating these media appearances. It's foolish and hypocritical. There are plenty of people that can give you the sound that they so desperately desire. If the guy is uncomfortable in the situation than leave him alone.

In addition, people are talking as if these guys are regular employees. The unique nature of sports is that the players are the business' assets (and liabilities for that matter). They are as much like the machines that make the parts as they are the employees that assemble the cars. So while a factory worker can be fired and the operation doesn't change, a broken machine can alter the operation. While people may not like the way that Marshawn the person acts, his value to Seattle isn't as an employee but an invaluable cog in the operation.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

But you're ignoring the attention-seeking fines he also incurs, like the crotch grab and trying to wear golden cleats. The guy isn't as much of a hermit as you're all making him out to be.

And maybe he would rather pay the fines than have to deal with all the questions. Makes plenty of sense if he has some serious mental issues. Everyone handles their demons differently.

Not trying to be a jerk, but how can you honestly make that statement unless you are actually his personal physician? I have no clue if there is anything wrong with him, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out he does have some ongoing anxiety problems.

If his issue is so severe, he's welcome to stop working for the NFL. No one is forcing him to take a job that has such a high public profile. Reporters are rarely interested in the guy working the drive through at McDonalds.

And maybe he would rather pay the fines than have to deal with all the questions. Makes plenty of sense if he has some serious mental issues. Everyone handles their demons differently.

If you have social anxiety you don't do things that draw attention to yourself. He KNOWS you can't wear golden cleats during a game. He was ALREADY warned about the crotch grab the game before and he did it again anyway. And now he makes a spectacle of himself during his interviews, while wearing a hat to promote his "Beastmode" brand of clothing even though it's against the rules and he'll probably be fined $100k for it. Why? Because he's a businessman and he knows his profits from merchandise sales will exceed the fine due to the publicity he's getting for his antics.

I can respect a dude playing a good hustle like that. What I can't respect is people claiming he has some kind of mental disorder to explain his behavior. They have a name for people like that where Marshawn grew up and in every other hood in America. "Chumps" or "Marks."

If you have social anxiety you don't do things that draw attention to yourself. He KNOWS you can't wear golden cleats during a game. He was ALREADY warned about the crotch grab the game before and he did it again anyway. And now he makes a spectacle of himself during his interviews, while wearing a hat to promote his "Beastmode" brand of clothing even though it's against the rules and he'll probably be fined $100k for it. Why? Because he's a businessman and he knows his profits from merchandise sales will exceed the fine due to the publicity he's getting for his antics.

I can respect a dude playing a good hustle like that. What I can't respect is people claiming he has some kind of mental disorder to explain his behavior. They have a name for people like that where Marshawn grew up and in every other hood in America. "Chumps" or "Marks."

Read BackInDaDay's post. And as I said, everyone handles their issues their own way whether it's acceptable or not. What's not acceptable to us may be perfectly acceptable to him. I'm not gonna make any judgements or diagnoses on the guy, because I am not a psychiatrist or psychotherapist.

Read BackInDaDay's post. And as I said, everyone handles their issues their own way whether it's acceptable or not. What's not acceptable to us may be perfectly acceptable to him. I'm not gonna make any judgements or diagnoses on the guy, because I am not a psychiatrist or psychotherapist.

This isn't some private citizen whose life we're prying into when it's not our business. He's a sports entertainer for one of the most watched sports in the world. We're not our"infringing on his personal life." He has no personal life. This is the NFL.

You can't seriously consider a college athlete's "education" as an indicator of intelligence.

When you go to a school that is consistently ranked in the top 20 in the national rankings you sure as hell can. We are not talking West Virginia here, it's Berkeley.

Edited by Mark80

Why are you ignoring that he has chosen the spotlight at every opportunity? Why did he choose a career in what is far and away the most high profile league in the country? He's already made a lot of money, why would someone with such severe anxiety stay in that same league?

How can you honestly make a that statement without being his physician?

He has no problem craving for attention except when Goodell wants him to... So he just does his schtick for that.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Why are you ignoring that he has chosen the spotlight at every opportunity? Why did he choose a career in what is far and away the most high profile league in the country? He's already made a lot of money, why would someone with such severe anxiety stay in that same league?

Because if he does have an anxiety disorder, and football is all he knows? That could also be an issue for him, worrying what he would do without football. Anxiety makes people worry and always thinking about "what if". Again, I'm not a psychotherapist, but I'm willing to bet I know a lot more about how complicated an issue this is as I was married to one for 14 years. Mental disorders are one of the hardest things to control, even with meds. And maybe the meds he might need are banned by the NFL. And it's a matter of privacy as to why nothing has ever been mentioned...if there even is a problem. HIPPA ain't no joke no matter what your job is.

he completely stays out of the media incurring hundreds ofthousands of dollars in fines, and your conclusion is he does it for more media attention?

some people are truely dense.

That last line is funny...

That money is a penny in a bucket. Skittles contract probably pays for it like Dre Beats does for anyone that gets fined also.