New Heat Pump Vs New Motor

plenzmd1

Gents, I really am a dolt when it comes to this stuff.

Live in Richmond Va.

I have a two zone system withe two heat pumps, and a gas furnace that kicks when needed under temps of 42 degrees.

Right now motor is blown on the one that heats downstairs, and the furnace has been keeping the heat up.

I trust the folks who service the units, and the says $800 to replace motor.

I have two split heat pump/electric heat systems. If the systems are still efficient, and you don't feel like breaking the bank, I'd replace the motor. After all, the entire system is just a bunch of pipes, so the condenser motor is one of the few moving parts. We had extremely old systems that we kept patching and patching. I think we got an extra five years out of the units, without costing us a fortune. Now, once my son came, I was done playing around so we got everything replaced, but I had reached my breaking point at that time! By the way, consider that our "new" units are now five years old and they've already paid for themselves about 2x over in energy savings in comparison to the old units.

If you can get away with swapping out the motor, go for it. However, when its time to replace the units, don't hesitate because you'll get a good return on your investment.

His wife says his unit hasn't worked for 10 years.

Heat pump heat does not feel the same as equivalent gas heat, and also wood heat. The same thermostat setting will fell different to different people, even though it's still set at the same temp. I don't care for heat pumps but a lot of people have no other choice.

Heat pump heat does not feel the same as equivalent gas heat, and also wood heat. The same thermostat setting will fell different to different people, even though it's still set at the same temp. I don't care for heat pumps but a lot of people have no other choice.

i truly miss radiator heat.That to me is far the best, and you can just feel the difference when you walk i house that still had it. My last two houses in DC wee radiator, damn i miss those.

Same thing happened to me brother. Had my friend with a contractors Licence pick up the motor for 70 bucks. It was a snap to install...

Cmon really? these guys telling me $800?

Replace the motor for sure but don't go for the cheapest motor you can find. You do get what you pay for.

Your overall systems aren't that old yet. You have plenty of serviceable life left in them. Depending on what you've got, you can get another 10-11 years out of it before you have to start thinking big $$$ on a system upgrade.

For some heat pumps, it "can" be a DIY job because it's a relatively easy swap on some models.

Also, as someone said, you get your heat back right away too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replies. I did get the new motor, and seems to be working great.

Here is my next question on this subject.

Long story, but i am thinking of buying one of those NEST thermostats....but at close to $400 with installation i wanted some reviews i can trust.

As mentioned above, i have a dual fuel system, and NEST recommends a professional installation for those.

And i am about as handy as Marrone is personable, so that is the way it has to be!

Opinions greatly welcomed.

BTW, i no longer trust the original company.

On the thermostat... I replaced mine a few years ago myself. There's about 8-12 low voltage wires behind the unit and they are color coded. If you're not familiar (as I was when I started), you can easily do it yourself if you take your time and match the colors correctly (some wires changed, like orange on the old went to green on the new). It's a bit confusing, but its sorta like building a Lego kit.

Isn't a heat pump just an A/C unit that can work in reverse? The furnace is needed when it gets really cold becuase the heat pump can't keep up. If it isn't that cold, you can do without the furnace and just use the heat pump. We have one here @ work in Chicago, but still need a furance (electric boiler) for the dead of winter.

800 buck sounds high but reasonable. I can change my fan motor on my A/C compressor unit (outside unit) for about <125 bucks in parts (ie: the motor). I haven't needed to yet in 20 years, but have the part lined up if it goes (numerous online parts sources). There is no sense to keep an expensive part like this on hand. I do usually keep spare contactors, flame sensors, ignitors for furnace and A/C on hand... They are cheap. Then again, mine is just A/C so it is only run in hot weather, which up here there is only two seasons: Winter & August... So in 20 years it is more like 5 for you down there. I suspect the rest of the money is labor, which sounds about right. My compressor unit isn't too hard to get into, but it isn't easy to change the motor than some of the newere units. My motor is attached to the top panel, which is a pain in the azz. I would say if I swapped my out it may take me an hour or so (read below, I oil it from time to time).

Some of these motors can be oiled ( like my Rheem). There is a little plug (pull the plug and the oil hole is exposed) where you can add a light weight machine oil (like 3-in-One). I tend to maintain this every 3-4 years.

Have you checked your contactors? Along with a new motor, you will want to match that up with a new capacitor. Those are cheap too, but they most certainly included that into the $800 price tag. NEVER use your old capacitor, it "matched" to the old fan! MAKE SURE THEY CHANGE YOUR CAPACITOR!

Good luck!