Rex Ryan from a Jets fan POV

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that the OP entirely discounts the 2 AFC Championship games that Rex was the HC of.......

I think you would find it hard to find a former teams fan of a HC.....there is a reason why they are the former HC or they wouldnt be available.

I also find it interesting how there are negative thoughts on the defense.....a defense that consistantly ranks inside the top ten EVERY year

There will be fans on this board that will look for any little reason to think negatively on a move by the bills......15 years of no playoffs will do that......but come on man

- One of the "big fish" HC candidates is now ours

- Greg Roman's offenses have been DEEP into the playoffs in his years there

We could have gone two other wasy

- Rolled the dice with a coordinator who has never been a HC before....that in itself carries its own dangers......the NFL is LITTERED with hot shot coordinators that failed when they got their chance to be a HC

- Hugh Jackson was rumored to be the guy if not Rex.....lets keep in mind that Hugh got ONE YEAR of being a HC before raiders fired him (I consider unjustly) Rex held onto his HC position for several years before finally being let go.

There is a REASON for that.....and it isnt because he runs loose training camps

1 i think roman can help cure some of the mistakes rex might otherwise make.

2.It did worry me that hiring a losing record coach like rex would be praised by the bills players = hes loyal and soft and they know it.(camp marv?)

3.I cant stand idiots on my team, ie Cj Trent, RJ, whiffner, A williams, Mckelvin etc rex will probably be one more and keep more around because he likes them.

4.I still cant stand idiots on my team that being said i actually think marrone was a bit of an idiot, equal to rex while being opposite on the loyalty side- he was confrontational

5 even if rex is a slight upgrade, our GM is still here, the OC will be leaps and bounds better than hackett and w no loss on D im thinking its going to be playoffs next year if we can get a qb.

1 i think roman can help cure some of the mistakes rex might otherwise make.

2.It did worry me that hiring a losing record coach like rex would be praised by the bills players = hes loyal and soft and they know it.(camp marv?)

3.I cant stand idiots on my team, ie Cj Trent, RJ, whiffner, A williams, Mckelvin etc rex will probably be one more and keep more around because he likes them.

4.I still cant stand idiots on my team that being said i actually think marrone was a bit of an idiot, equal to rex while being opposite on the loyalty side- he was confrontational

5 even if rex is a slight upgrade, our GM is still here, the OC will be leaps and bounds better than hackett and w no loss on D im thinking its going to be playoffs next year if we can get a qb.

The one thing that you will be able to stand on with Rex.....the defense. You know the defense will be good. With this group of talent it will probably be elite.

To me that is one thing that really separates Rex from Marrone.....Marrone considers himself an offensive line coach...you know what? Our offensive line was HORRIBLE....I mean how does that even happen.

Meanwhile......Rex is not a defensive guru....he is THE defensive guru......considered absolutely a top defensive coach. He knows and owns his area.

Thanks for the insight. All I can really say in reaction to what you've described is that one would hope (i) Rex has learned from his mistakes (as many coaches often do - Carroll is a great example); and (ii) having the support but also the accountability of a better GM and ownership structure will help rectify Rex's shortcomings as a CEO. There is no question in my mind that Rex was saddled with two inept GMs (Tannenbaum and then Idzik), along with an owner who is overly responsive to the media and whims of the fanbase. You attribute the Geno Smith situation this year to Rex - but I've heard, and I do believe, that Rex wasn't given full control of his personnel by the front office - I believe he was forced to start Geno for as long as he did. So while your comments ought to give everyone something to think about, I do hope that the situation here s different enough that Rex will be more successful.

You make a good point about the conspiracy theory regarding Geno and who was making the call on starting him. I discussed this a lot on the Jets forum with fans who were defending Rex and blaming everything on Idzik.

My question is this.... What high quality head coach would stand up in front of the media and say that starting Geno was an "organizational decision" the way Rex did??? Can you imagine Payton, McCarthy, Harbaugh, or any leader of a team passing the buck with that line? OR if he did accept that environment where he had no control of his depth chart thats even worse IMHO. As soon as someone cuts your balls off as a head coach you walk.

The reason I think he did have final control of the depth chart is because Woody fired him. Our owner LOVED Rex, no way he fires him knowing Idzik not only gave him a crappy roster, but also wouldn't let him start who he wanted. It wouldn't make sense.

I was really excited about Rex till I read this...haha. Still excited, but I really hope he learns from his mistakes. As a Bills fan, I respect you (and saying that to a Jets fan means A LOT). Thanks for the input and good luck this season...just not against us lol.

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for letting the air out of our football guys. :cry:

He's better than what we had...by a lot. And, just maybe, he's got the ability to self-scout and improve. As he himself has said, this may be his last go round as head coach. So I think he's aware of his opportunity. Only time will tell.

I do believe we now have an owner who won't be afraid to pull the plug if things head south, whatever the cost. But I am strongly optimistic, it's in my DNA as a Bills fan.

Was Marone unpopular before he walked? I thought most fans were happy with the direction the team was going in, and as I mentioned he made a very tough and smart decision with Orton & Manuel.

I'm also curious if Buffalo fans are seriously thrilled about how he didn't even land a coordinator job after quitting, or is it a non-story

Like one of the other posters said, optimism is in my DNA as a Bills fan, but so is a sort of masochistic skepticism. They balance each other. At some point we should have a thread to discuss what keeps Bills fans loyal despite so many years of disappointments. For me, it's like the Bills are MY team, for better or worse, and I'll continue following them no matter what. I'm from Buffalo (Williamsville, actually), and I'm proud that we have a major league team. I like thinking about their strong suits--the linebackers, D-line, etc.--and speculating what can be done with the weak parts. But reading about yet another--another!!--coach who reportedly wants to change an already excellent defense, who sticks stubbornly to mediocrities, doesn't adjust and so on... Yes, my optimism dwindles. Doesn't yours?

I hear you on that. I was really struggling staying positive this year as a fan. I truthfully felt if we didn't clean house ... coach, GM, scouting department.... I was going to have to stop watching.... after 30 years as a fan. Woody Johnson is known for his "half measures". Demote the GM (Bradway) hire new coach and promote GM from within (Tannenabum). Fire coach, hire new coach but keep GM and offensive coordinator. Fire GM and OC, but keep HC.

Sometimes you need to hit the reset button to change the losing culture.

Once Rex and Idzik were gone I wanted Todd Bowles (wanted him since the end of 2013). I know him very well because we both went to the same high school. I also wanted Tom Gamble as GM. But I decided who ever was hired I would sign on 100% and stay positive. So the journey begins. At least I got my coach!

I guess it's called guarded optimism

Thanks for the insider insight and a detailed thoughtful post.

Personally I hated Rex- because he made the Jets good and rubbed it in our noses.

Aside from the loyalty issues, meddling ownership and poor drafting, I'm curious why you didn't mention the beginning of his downfall (IMHO) that being the departure of Brian Schottenheimer. HIndsight is 20/20 but he made the offense work and it was never the same (nor the team) after he left.

As for loyalty being a fault, I hate the CEO cuthroat mentality. I like extending the benefit of the doubt for players who have produced for you- within reason.

If Mark Sanchez ever shows up wearing the blue and white then clearly loyalty to a fault- a very big one.

So in other words, doomed?

;)he doesn't have mediocre defensive players like Bart Scott or Eric Smith (who I actually know;good guy) here.

The Jets defenses in 09' and 10' were pretty stacked with talent. I was disappointed to see the defense that he inherited get worse year after year, especially with all of the draft picks that had Rex's finger prints.

I don't know much about your GM, but the hope is that he will be far better than the idiots we had during Rex's time.

Not about to read all that from a Jets fan... I have so many of you living around me I get enough puke talk as it is.

Jets fans are the least informed and the least likely to spark a interesting football conversation with.

It's odd to join a conversation, that you refuse to participate in, based on a post you refuse to read, while calling others least informed.

I look forward to the spirited debates that you and I will enjoy on this board. In case it's not obvious that's sarcasm. ;)

Jets had horrible GMs and have horrible ownership. If Whaley can keep producing then Rex will be here for a long time.

Agreed and agreed. I hate Woody Johnson, but he's all we got.

Thanks for the great post. You make some great points about Rex. Let's hope he does not bring that baggage with him. As a Bills fan I sure not want a repeat performance here.

Thanks

Thanks. I know it may come across like a fan of a rival team trying to be negative about the Bills new coach. I am not a Rex fan but I like him, because he is genuine. I'd like to see him progress even though I also want the Jets to beat the bills... Obviously.

Hopefully Rex can learn from his previous coaching mistakes like Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick did and have a much better run his 2nd time around.

However, I think one thing that not many people mention is the coaching job that needed to be done to get the Jets to an 8-8 record the year before last, with Geno Smith as a rookie playing like...well, Geno only can. He should have warranted some coach of the year nominations. That team was a 4-12 or 5-11 team based on talent. They just were not very good, but somehow he got them to end up at 8-8. This year it pretty much all fell apart for him. Idzik did a horrendous job at providing talent for the most part and his secondary was a disaster, which is what he relies on to run his defense effectively..even with all that they still finished 5th ranked in the NFL...

Yes, he might have his faults, just as virtually all coaches do, but hopefully he took inventory of what he needs to do differently this time around. Let's also not forget that save the QB and maybe the 2 guards, this team is good enough to challenge New England for the AFC East, so its not like he's inheriting a bad team...he's inheriting a very talented young team that's getting one of their most dynamic defensive players back in Kiko Alonso and legitimately might have the best DLine AND the best LB Corp in the NFL next year...not to mention the secondary is very good and very underrated by most around the league...

Offensively if they can just put up 24-25 points a game, this team could basically be like Seattle, IMHO...suffocate teams with defense and put up enough points to win most games

So, does he re-sign Jim Leonhard? After we dumped him, Rex had him with the Ravens, then brought him over to the Jets, and his #1 son brought him back to The Bills, and then again took him to that Brown place in Ohio.

I think Leonhard is way more of a Pettine guy. Worked with him on 4 different teams. Be suprprised if he doesn't stay with Cleveland.

I live around Jet fans and I can't find one of them that didn't want to Keep Rex . The 8-8 record in 2013 says all you need to know about his abilites, that was a gutted team set up to be a disaster, zero offensive weapons , and rookie qb and an aging defense .

There were fans that were loyal to the end with Rex... but you couldn't find ONE that wanted a change after 4 years with no playoff birth and a 4-12 season????

I live around Jet fans and I can't find one of them that didn't want to Keep Rex . The 8-8 record in 2013 says all you need to know about his abilites, that was a gutted team set up to be a disaster, zero offensive weapons , and rookie qb and an aging defense .

There were fans that were loyal to the end with Rex... but you couldn't find ONE that wanted a change after 4 years with no playoff birth and a 4-12 season????

Great post, thanks for sharing your observations.

I was not a fan of David Lee as QB coach here. He came in to "fix" Ryan Fitzpatrick. That certainly didn't happen....whether he tried too much to mess with his mechanics too close to the season and induced the "paralysis of analysis" or whether he gave the message to our WR "don't reach for the ball, it's the QB's job to put it right there" or all of the above, I don't know but Fitz regressed. That's my major concern with Rex is the assistants. I thought it was telling that Lee lauded Fitz as the hardest-working QB he'd worked with, who could tell him what the D was going to be on Friday. Not that Fitz wasn't hard working, but champions take it to another level. I bet Tom Brady can tell on Tuesday, if not Monday. Anyway we were glad to see his tail lights heading for the Jets.

And yeah, I didn't know about Bart Scott or Smith but it was clear that Rex stuck with Sanchez far too long. The tattoo was ridiculous.

I was not a fan of Pettine's D and was not happy to see Schwartz go either. That is a guy who deserves a job as DC.

Rex is here, it's a done deal. We shall see what we shall see.

One thing that confuses me a bit is the CEO thing. Exactly what was the power structure on the Jets? On the Bills, at least, it should not be Rex's power to put a dollar value on a guy. But certainly benching some guys whilst inexplicably playing others was a factor here with Marrone.

At least you guys dodged a bullet on that one.

The power structure was standard as far as I know. Woody pretty much stays out of things, but he says he's going to start to be more involved ... which is scary. When I say a HC has to be a CEO I mean when it comes to the depth chart and accountability. If you QB is missing meeting, the night before a blow out loss, and then flipping fans off afterwards usually the GM is not the one to hand out discipline.

But I am not implying that Rex made free agent moves or the final call on draft picks. But on defensive rookies I do believe he had huge influence.

Question: should the Jets sign Fitzpatrick now that we have Gailey? I didn't follow their time together in Buffalo that closely. If we bring in a rookie we will need a veteran stop gap, and Fitz kind of fits the bill. I'd he worth it?

The OP has some relevant comments, Rex has to learn from past mistakes if he is going to take us to the next level.

Thank God for second chances. Who would be coaching in next week's Super Bowl without them?

Great point! I wonder if Belichick and Carroll benefited from taking time away from being NFL HC's however. Rex isn't taking much time to reflect by jumping back in with no break.

I heard an interview with Mike Westoff here in NYC and he talked about a convo he had with Rex about a week ago. He said Rex is very aware this could be it for him if it doesn't work out, and also that he is really focused on learning from past mistakes. So that's a big positive

I think the OP tries hard, but I'm of a different belief. I think Rex has already changed from his early days. In his initial press conference for the Bills he was vastly more controlled than when he started with the Jets. No stuff like I'm not here to kiss Belichick's rings. Paradoxically or not, his teams performed better early on in his stay with the Jets. My feeling on that is he had better GM and players earlier.

You don't think guaranteeing the playoffs was a bit over the top?

Thanks to you Jets fans for taking the time to give a thoughtful take on Rex. Consider yourself fortunate that us Bills fans don't have to give you our lowdown on St.Doug Marrone. I think Manish Mehta saved you guys a lot of pain.

Agreed

Ryan's fortunes will depend on the QB situation. Just like it does for any HC.

With everything I wrote and everyone else commented on here.... This is a VERY true statement. It is the main factor for success.

But it's no the end all be all. Look at the Chargers and Falcons. They are sitting home watching the playoffs just like Jets and Bills fans.

Excellent and objective review. Our only hope is that Rex can learn from his mistakes as many coaches do their second time around. But I am not confident this will happen. As you mentioned, he didn't seem to change during his time in NY and he has a HUGE ego so why would he all of a sudden see the light? The Bills always hire coaches the wrong way. Instead of studying past performance and centering on that in light of the current situation when interviewing they always start interviewing until someone "impresses" them. Hiring based upon interview skills is a huge mistake. Con Artists and big ego types always talk a good game and impress. When they fail to deliver everyone is surprised. The Harbaugh hire in Baltimore is a good example. In the NFL you have to find the next innovator who can get ahead of the league for a few years until the rest catch up like Levy did with the K-gun. I am afraid our team will look exactly like the Jets and our team of last year. Great D good enough to win but not overcome a horrible offense.

Yeah, I'm with North Buffalo on this. I appreciate that our Jets visitor offered his personal POV and while I'm sure there are nuggets of truth and valuable insight in here, something doesn't quite add up. If Rex is so poor at accountability, how is it that his defense the past 6 years is 2nd best in the NFL? Why were his defenses at Baltimore so dominant?

Rex, despite his flaws, has in fact proven this ability to run a defense. The key questions now, I think, are: can Whaley find him sufficient offensive talent? Can Roman take that talent and put together a productive offense? If you believe the answer to these questions are affirmative, the Bills will be in the playoffs.

Look at scoring defense, that's the key stat. If you dominate 80% of the snaps, but give up a few key 1st downs and scores your impressive stats don't equal owns. Also look at the lack of defensive turnovers and scoring.

And agreed, this is just my options, I don't claim to be an expert. Just how one Jets fan saw things.

I think Leonhard is way more of a Pettine guy. Worked with him on 4 different teams. Be suprprised if he doesn't stay with Cleveland.

The power structure was standard as far as I know. Woody pretty much stays out of things, but he says he's going to start to be more involved ... which is scary. When I say a HC has to be a CEO I mean when it comes to the depth chart and accountability. If you QB is missing meeting, the night before a blow out loss, and then flipping fans off afterwards usually the GM is not the one to hand out discipline.

But I am not implying that Rex made free agent moves or the final call on draft picks. But on defensive rookies I do believe he had huge influence.

Question: should the Jets sign Fitzpatrick now that we have Gailey? I didn't follow their time together in Buffalo that closely. If we bring in a rookie we will need a veteran stop gap, and Fitz kind of fits the bill. I'd he worth it?

Great point! I wonder if Belichick and Carroll benefited from taking time away from being NFL HC's however. Rex isn't taking much time to reflect by jumping back in with no break.

I heard an interview with Mike Westoff here in NYC and he talked about a convo he had with Rex about a week ago. He said Rex is very aware this could be it for him if it doesn't work out, and also that he is really focused on learning from past mistakes. So that's a big positive

You don't think guaranteeing the playoffs was a bit over the top?

Agreed

no guaranteeing the playoffs was not over the top, IMO, it's expected with this team as I believe they have a plan at QB and for the offense. They were very close this year with a below avg HC, OC, OL, and running game. They lost close games because of the HC's stubborn conservatism where they had the talent to win.

That is one reason stated by Whaley that they decided to bring in a coach with experience. They didn't want to start over with a rookie HC because they aren't rebuilding. They are very close.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Excellent and objective review. Our only hope is that Rex can learn from his mistakes as many coaches do their second time around. But I am not confident this will happen. As you mentioned, he didn't seem to change during his time in NY and he has a HUGE ego so why would he all of a sudden see the light? The Bills always hire coaches the wrong way. Instead of studying past performance and centering on that in light of the current situation when interviewing they always start interviewing until someone "impresses" them. Hiring based upon interview skills is a huge mistake. Con Artists and big ego types always talk a good game and impress. When they fail to deliver everyone is surprised. The Harbaugh hire in Baltimore is a good example. In the NFL you have to find the next innovator who can get ahead of the league for a few years until the rest catch up like Levy did with the K-gun. I am afraid our team will look exactly like the Jets and our team of last year. Great D good enough to win but not overcome a horrible offense.

2 quibbles.

1 - this is the 1st hire under new ownership and it was accomplished very differently than hires by the last guy.

2 - The K-Gun was Marchibroda, not Levy. Levy was 'ground Marv' prior to the playoff game in Cleveland.

Never seen a Jets fan actually manipulate so many "Bills" fans before.

Ummmmmmm should I say thank you?

LOL

The owner and GMs from the Jets arent here.

Last year Idzik had over 13 draft picks... In a year where WRs were a plenty he picked 3 WRs that were a bust. What the Jest fan is doing is manipulating you. If you notices he has no real knowledge of his team which is a tell tale sign of a real Jets fan.I almost forgot also Rex couldn't pick his OC so not like he had a choice when his offense was struggling. Bad Owner and bad GMs combined to screw Rex.

I'd love to participate in a test of my Jets knowledge.

As for manipulation, I only commented on my options on what I saw for 6 years. I also wouldn't encourge anyone to be negative about their team when a new HC takes over. It's a waste of time. These are just things to keep in mind as you watch and make your own observations.

If Todd Bowles had been a HC before I would love to hear from fans of that team. Not because it helps or hurts anything, just because I love insight into my team. As a fan.

I wish as much good luck to Rex as any AFC East rival could.

If QB coaches could really make QBs better, and consistently better, they would be as important and as popular and as well paid as HC, and there are an upwards of none that are generally regarded as great.To the OP, good post but you kinda lost me at "savvy veteran" and 80% of games in six years had 12 men on field penalties (and on offense or ST that wouldnt be Rex's fault.

Wouldn't be Rex's fault??????????? Who's fault is it.... for six years? No OC lasted more than 2.

And yeah I pulled that 80% out of my ass, but seriously, it felt like 100%.

Also Vick is unquestionably a savvy veteran in the offensive system we were running in 2014. I didn't say elite, I said savvy.

Eric smith is here I believe, but as a coach.(I may be wrong. Don't have time to look it up) so doooooomed

Whoa . Really?

wrt the loyalty piece and being a players coach I think one part of the hiring decision had to do with the Pegulas thinking it will help attract FAs here. That plus their history of paying for talent probably makes them optimistic that this can become a place FAs want to go... That plus continued strong drafts leads to winning which leads to easier FAs/extensions of good homegrown talent and so on. I think Hughes, for one, has money at the top of his list as a factor but having Rex here instead of Marrone is likely somewhere on the list of "pros" for Buffalo.

I want to steal Hughes soooooo bad. I was so hyped up on him coming out of college. And then he did nothing for like 3 years. And then finally he emerged, and I think he will get even better. He has a 15+ sack season in him with the right pieces in place. And the Mets have such a HUGE need at that position.

I think he will stay with Rex. Sadly.

Ummmmmmm should I say thank you?

LOL

I'd love to participate in a test of my Jets knowledge.

As for manipulation, I only commented on my options on what I saw for 6 years. I also wouldn't encourge anyone to be negative about their team when a new HC takes over. It's a waste of time. These are just things to keep in mind as you watch and make your own observations.

If Todd Bowles had been a HC before I would love to hear from fans of that team. Not because it helps or hurts anything, just because I love insight into my team. As a fan.

I wish as much good luck to Rex as any AFC East rival could.

Wouldn't be Rex's fault??????????? Who's fault is it.... for six years? No OC lasted more than 2.

And yeah I pulled that 80% out of my ass, but seriously, it felt like 100%.

Also Vick is unquestionably a savvy veteran in the offensive system we were running in 2014. I didn't say elite, I said savvy.

Whoa . Really?

If your expecting a warm welcome from every bills fan here....your not being realistic.

I am neither for or against any of the information you have given......because it doesnt apply to our team. Different situation.

I agree. There are ways to counteract that loyalty. For example, it sounds like Roman will be running the entire offense. I wouldn't expect Rex to veto Roman based on "loyalty" to players.

You are probably right about Roman running the show on offense. I'm not a fan of the HC only focusing on one side of the ball. If the HC is watching one side of the ball and a coordinator watches the other who's keeping an eye on the big picture? Just sayin

I understand your frustration as a Jets fan. Much of what happened in NY was due to a meddling front office and not Rex's doing. I know you wanted your team to win the SB and I understand that, but he took a team with inferior talent to two straight AFC championship games. To me, that spells good coaching, period. After that, there were all sorts of moves made by the FO and Rex tried to be a team player and play with the hand he was dealt. It didn't work out, but he was not solely to blame. I for one welcome his confidence and infectious attitude. He is the first real football coach we have had in Buffalo in quite some time. Sorry he didn't get your team to the SB, but if he even gets ours to the playoffs, that will spell success in Buffalo for a franchise that hasn't been there in way too long. I believe he is perfectly capable of doing so. Is he perfect? Hell no. Find me a coach that is. He has his flaws, like any other man or coach, but there is enough ability there to satisfy me. Time will tell if he will be the guy to lead us to the playoffs, but I am confident at this point until he proves me wrong. Go Bills.

Well said, but disagree about the teams he inherited in 09 and 10'. Pretty solid talent less Smith, Scott, and Sanchez. If Kris Jenkins stayed healthy those years we may have took it all.

And I don't at all think Rex was soley to blame.

having to play a converted LB at corner and the rest backup quality at best will do that

True, but that was one year out of six. It also begs the question, why did we run the exact same scheme and plays in 2014 that we ran when we had Revis and Cromartie as book ends?