High School Coach Suspended After His Team Won 161-2

truth on hold

You're totally right, I completely forgot about layups, I was thinking jumpers.

I don't think I was ever on the winning side of a match like this.

Got a quick question for you BB. Let's say all those things you suggested occur. What do you think the final score would be? 120 - 10? Maybe 110-20? At that point, what is the difference? Is a 100 point loss really better than a 160 point loss?

full court trap for the entire half netted them over 100 points. Slow up the entire game and get creative when up by 20-30 and maybe they stay under 100. The points don't matter (to me), it's the manner in which they were scored.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what is a good lesson is this press actually makes the losing team look worse. All that had to happen was the team loses and no one knows they were that bad... Now the winning teams coach get suspended and people realize the losers should have never of had a team to begin with.

I remember beating Jackson HS 77-0 and no one was fired or suspended... Actually we went to state finals after that. Was almost 20 years ago but still. That was back when people weren't so sensitive for no reason.

What has this world come to where you get in trouble for being good?

Edited by Beef Jerky

Bull. Everyone is trying to shield their children from every little thing, the byproduct of which is entitled idiots with zero coping mechanisms when they get to the real world. If the worst thing that happened to you growing up was getting your ass kicked in a !@#$ing sporting event, then your childhood was too easy and life is going to kick your !@#$ing ass.

Karma gets people who put themselves on a pedestal. Things generally even out.

No. You're wrong. Entitled idiots are created by ass hole elitist parents. Those are the ones who grow up to coach a team of kids to a hundred point victory over another team of kids.

The lesson of - do the right !@#$ing thing - was there to be taught. The message, instead of "if you don't want to lose, then don't suck," could have been, "there's no need to take this any further, because nothing good is coming out of it."

The kids on the winning team would have learned something that is lacking in today's world ... compassion and common courtesy.

Instead, they learned how to be ass holes. Yay. Nice win.

The real world does not operate that way. Things end before it gets to the point of a "hundred point victory." Before it gets that bad, there's a breakup or a divorce; you put your notice in or get fired. But it never gets that bad. Someone makes a move one way or another.

What you call "shielding children from every little thing," if done properly, is preparing them for real life a hell of a lot more than letting them be part of a hundred point win - which is far from real life and extreme.

We're raising our son to be the one who would stand up at halftime and suggest to his coach that enough is enough and question why he'd want to let it go on.

That's real life.

Don't wanna lose? Don't suck. Can't handle losing? Buy a skirt, Sally and welcome to the real world where you're always going to be someone's B word.

Well, since it was a girls team, I expect they already own skirts. But was does wearing skirts have to do with winning and losing, or mental toughness? Don't you think it's about time to retire out-of-date stereotypes like this?

But I guess it's good to see you haven't evolved in your views on women as you also retained your "only the most brutal survive" mentality.

Yours is a mind-numbing reactionary world view, IMO.

These are high school kids. In pro sports, or major college, I agree with you. But some girls who just want to play some basketball shouldn't have to be full court pressed by the starters of an elite team for the entire first half until the score hits 100-1.

As for throwing in the towel, hell no. That's not what you teach kids. They need to see it through. Quitting isn't the answer. However, one would hope that the opposing coach would have a heart (or some sportsmanship) and not try to prove some point against 16 year old girls.

All that being said, I wouldn't suspend him a few games for it. I'd take a long look at him at the end of the year and decide - based on his entire body of work - if winning was worth it. If it is then you get what you pay for. If not, you fire him and hire somebody more in line with what you're trying to teach your students.

Good point, I think. Do you want a guy like that teaching your children?

From the articles it sounds like the coach knew this would be a blowout, and made some preparations before the game to try to ameliorate the damage. But during the game he should have noticed his plan wasn't panning out and made some adjustments. And while he couldn't account for a substitute making 8 of 9 three point-shots, the real question is "Why were his players tossing up three-point shots at that stage?" \

It's really hard to know exactly how it went down, without being at the game, I suppose. But I tend to agree a suspension might not be the best cure in this case. Maybe firing whoever makes the schedules and match-ups should be considered, though.

In other words...don't teach kids to quit when they're behind. Teach them to quit when they're ahead.

Actually, yes---in a way. A good lesson might be teaching mercy. And that is is OK to back off a bit when you have clearly won. That total domination, while enticing, is actually a poor way to live life, or do business. That's a lesson many at the top of the power/wealth chart could have used when they were growing up.

Well, since it was a girls team, I expect they already own skirts. But was does wearing skirts have to do with winning and losing, or mental toughness? Don't you think it's about time to retire out-of-date stereotypes like this?

But I guess it's good to see you haven't evolved in your views on women as you also retained your "only the most brutal survive" mentality.

Yours is a mind-numbing reactionary world view, IMO.

Good point, I think. Do you want a guy like that teaching your children?

From the articles it sounds like the coach knew this would be a blowout, and made some preparations before the game to try to ameliorate the damage. But during the game he should have noticed his plan wasn't panning out and made some adjustments. And while he couldn't account for a substitute making 8 of 9 three point-shots, the real question is "Why were his players tossing up three-point shots at that stage?" \

It's really hard to know exactly how it went down, without being at the game, I suppose. But I tend to agree a suspension might not be the best cure in this case. Maybe firing whoever makes the schedules and match-ups should be considered, though.

Actually, yes---in a way. A good lesson might be teaching mercy. And that is is OK to back off a bit when you have clearly won. That total domination, while enticing, is actually a poor way to live life, or do business. That's a lesson many at the top of the power/wealth chart could have used when they were growing up.

Good post Dean, but 3 point shots are the lowest percentage. Clearly the opposing team couldn't stop them in the paint, so shooting low percentage shots and "practicing" them makes sense.

full court trap for the entire half netted them over 100 points. Slow up the entire game and get creative when up by 20-30 and maybe they stay under 100. The points don't matter (to me), it's the manner in which they were scored.

Slow up at 20 points? The game is still in reach at that point.

I get what you are saying. But the opposing team scored 2 points. 2. I guess you could try more to not run up the score, but the other team has to do something. Stop full court press at half and they still only get a point? Against backups who are up 100 points, playing, I assume, soft D?

This game could've been 90-2, 110-2, 150-2. It's still a blowout if the other team doesn't score. And the points scored weren't gonna matter. IMO, if the backups dropped 60 on them, and let up 1, there's no amount of creativity that could've helped the losers.

No. You're wrong. Entitled idiots are created by ass hole elitist parents. Those are the ones who grow up to coach a team of kids to a hundred point victory over another team of kids.

The lesson of - do the right !@#$ing thing - was there to be taught. The message, instead of "if you don't want to lose, then don't suck," could have been, "there's no need to take this any further, because nothing good is coming out of it."

The kids on the winning team would have learned something that is lacking in today's world ... compassion and common courtesy.

Instead, they learned how to be ass holes. Yay. Nice win.

The real world does not operate that way. Things end before it gets to the point of a "hundred point victory." Before it gets that bad, there's a breakup or a divorce; you put your notice in or get fired. But it never gets that bad. Someone makes a move one way or another.

What you call "shielding children from every little thing," if done properly, is preparing them for real life a hell of a lot more than letting them be part of a hundred point win - which is far from real life and extreme.

We're raising our son to be the one who would stand up at halftime and suggest to his coach that enough is enough and question why he'd want to let it go on.

That's real life.

Gug, these kids are teenagers in high school, not 10 year olds. They've already learned those lessons.

You don't see anything wrong with what the winning coach did?

I didn't say that. My point was more for the losing team. You generally learn more from the ****ty things that happen to you in your life. As an example the losing team learned empathy in a way that will never leave them.

I do have a problem with the coach pressing for the entire half and being up by whatever margin. The guy is a douche. I don't have a problem with the school suspending him or her or some other punishment to try and teach better judgement.

So to you quitting is the better teaching option, interesting.

The coach should have stopped pressing very early in the first half. As someone suggested up thread he also could have had his players switch positions. That poster is being ridiculed because he suggested players use their off hand. As per usual for this place people glom onto the one piece they dislike and disregard the rest. Couldn't his worst ball handlers have used this opportunity to be the ones bringing the ball up the court; setting up and running plays? How about no shots until X number of passes?

There are options, better options, than to beat a team by 160 points.

I think everybody here agrees that the coach of the winning team is a jerk for running up a score like he did. My only point is that under circumstances like that, the coach of the losing team always has the option to forfeit. Where is the virtue in allowing yourself (or in this case, school children) to be completely mauled by some SOB who is intentionally humiliating you? Do the kids really learn anything by keeping them in the game and letting them get their butts shredded like that? Teach the kids the value of living to fight again another day, and to know there will be certain circumstances in life where the best option is to cut your losses and concede with dignity.

It seems reactionary to me to place all the blame for that score on the winners.

I think everybody here agrees that the coach of the winning team is a jerk for running up a score like he did. My only point is that under circumstances like that, the coach of the losing team always has the option to forfeit. Where is the virtue in allowing yourself (or in this case, school children) to be completely mauled by some SOB who is intentionally humiliating you? Do the kids really learn anything by keeping them in the game and letting them get their butts shredded like that? Teach the kids the value of living to fight again another day, and to know there will be certain circumstances in life where the best option is to cut your losses and concede with dignity.

It seems reactionary to me to place all the blame for that score on the winners.

So you'd teach your team to quit in the face of adversity? Your "win to fight another day" is what you do in war, not in youth basketball. In youth basketball, you play hard, together, as a team, and make the best of it. The only time I would ever pull my team from a game is if it was unsafe. Losing is never an excuse to quit, even if the other team's coach is a jagoff and even if the margin is embarassing.

You play the game hard. At the end, you shake hands. Always.

and in your mind there is no such thing as sportsmanship

Don't see how that follows from my question. The question relates to the underlying assumption that safeguards have to be in place to protect the loser from big blowouts. I'm questioning whether its worth the effort. Edited by JTSP

Emotionally scarred? I think that's a bit of an overstatement. I've played sports all my life, and have been at the short end of an a** whoopin plenty of times. I don't think there should be any specific rules or safeguards in place. There are coaches out there with class, and others who are d-bags. Just like every other facet of life.

Emotionally scarred? I think that's a bit of an overstatement. I've played sports all my life, and have been at the short end of an a** whoopin plenty of times. I don't think there should be any specific rules or safeguards in place. There are coaches out there with class, and others who are d-bags. Just like every other facet of life.

So he may have pressed too long in the first half, other than that what could he have done? 2nd string played 2nd half and they were instructed not to shoot outside of 7 seconda.

So you'd teach your team to quit in the face of adversity? Your "win to fight another day" is what you do in war, not in youth basketball. In youth basketball, you play hard, together, as a team, and make the best of it. The only time I would ever pull my team from a game is if it was unsafe. Losing is never an excuse to quit, even if the other team's coach is a jagoff and even if the margin is embarassing.

You play the game hard. At the end, you shake hands. Always.

Then by all means, keep the kids in the game, and accept the outcome without complaining that you got beat so badly.

So he may have pressed too long in the first half, other than that what could he have done? 2nd string played 2nd half and they were instructed not to shoot outside of 7 seconda.

I'm with ya brother. I'd be willing to bet that the people who were most "scarred" by this were the parents of the losing student athletes.

As I have mentioned in other threads, one of my closest friends is the athletic director of the local school district. He also coached the varsity girls basketball team.

Recently, they beat a neighboring district pretty badly. I think it was like 74 to 12 or something like that. He was telling me about how he was receiving nasty phone calls from the opposing players' parents, school board members, etc... He said to me "what am I supposed to do? I benched my starters half way through the 1st half, told my players they had to make 5 passes before they could shoot, and I didn't press at all. Am I supposed to tell my bench players who work their tail off every day at practice that they can't play hard?"

I get that.

• 3 weeks later...