Rex on EJ: "I'd like to see him use his legs more."

johnwalter

I've been saying this for months. Out of the pocket EJ's skill set is no better than an average back up. What sets him apart is his size, speed, and strength. So if he's your QB those are talents you want to utilize.

Using him as a drop back pocket passer makes about as much sense as drafting a bunch of big, slow maulers for a zone blocking scheme.

Do you mean "EJs in the pocket skill set is no better than an average backup"? It seems you are trying to say that where EJ can be successful is by moving around and getting outside the pocket....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, this means he wants to find out if EJ has heart. If he's willing to play balls out and take a hit to make a big play. If he's willing to play through injury if he gets dinged, or if he will sit out after every boo-boo. Fair questions considering EJ's injury history and lack of tuck-and-run for critical 1st downs. EJ better be prepared to show he's tough enough to take a licking and keep on ticking, or he'll be out of here.

The Bills injured Hoyer and took him out of the game.

Some speculate that the Browns retaliated later in the game and took EJ out at the knees.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=331003005&period=0

I suppose that's possible. Either way, EJ could've gone out of bounds past the first down and he wouldn't have had to worry about them retaliating.

IF Maroon hadn't thrown a rookie head first into that fast paced hurry up offense (then scrapped it) the results may have been better

OR he got injured is retaliation for the Bills taking out their QB.

I think of all the football I have watched, the normal thing to see that close to the sideline is an upper body shot that forces the runner to step out. I do not think shots below the waist are all common. EJ saw him late and lowered his shoulder but was not anticipating a thigh high blow. The gloating afterwards made it a near certainty that the defender was retaliating for Kiko's legal hit that destroyed the late sliding Hoyer.

I think of all the football I have watched, the normal thing to see that close to the sideline is an upper body shot that forces the runner to step out. I do not think shots below the waist are all common. EJ saw him late and lowered his shoulder but was not anticipating a thigh high blow. The gloating afterwards made it a near certainty that the defender was retaliating for Kiko's legal hit that destroyed the late sliding Hoyer.

yes, the point being 1st down or not he was after EJ's knees

Two nice plays from last year. One subtle and the other rather spectacular but both using his mobility:

TD to Williams vs. Texans

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/EJ-Manuel-80-yard-TD-pass-to-Mike-Williams/4a79965c-80bc-4a56-8a61-85bcf68d745d

Pass to Chandler vs. Chargers @ 1:00 minute in:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Week-3-Buffalo-Bills-vs-San-Diego-Chargers-highlights/291b6f5b-d9ae-4a5f-9604-ac952dafd5d4

Rex is right to think that this type of usage of time and space can be very valuable to an offense.

Two nice plays from last year. One subtle and the other rather spectacular but both using his mobility:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/EJ-Manuel-80-yard-TD-pass-to-Mike-Williams/4a79965c-80bc-4a56-8a61-85bcf68d745d

And about 9:08 after that play, Marrone pretty much benched Mike Williams for the rest of the season.

I remember seeing some read option plays where EJ handed the ball off but if he had kept the ball and run himself, he had a lot of room to take off. Meanwhile the poor RB ran right into a wall of defenders. Gotta agree with Rex on that one.

I remember seeing some read option plays where EJ handed the ball off but if he had kept the ball and run himself, he had a lot of room to take off. Meanwhile the poor RB ran right into a wall of defenders. Gotta agree with Rex on that one.

EJ has some massive question marks, no doubt. But he's very good on play fakes and play action already. Always was.

Some? Each and every time.

Pass to Chandler vs. Chargers @ 1:00 minute in:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Week-3-Buffalo-Bills-vs-San-Diego-Chargers-highlights/291b6f5b-d9ae-4a5f-9604-ac952dafd5d4

Rex is right to think that this type of usage of time and space can be very valuable to an offense.

Those are the kinds of flashes that EJ has shown that leave me with some hope left for him. Those are more than just size/speed/arm strength plays - they're instinctual and skilled.

Did he take it more than once or twice? I'm convinced coaching made it so there was no actual option

Yeah, almost constantly. Could be very frustrating. Hard to say whether Manuel is bad at making those reads or whether he was being coached to hand it off unless the other side of the field was wide open or something. I would guess mostly the former.

That's one thing Russell Wilson doesn't always get credit for - he's GREAT at correctly making the read of whether to keep or hand off on the read option. If your QB makes that read correctly, he can keep it 5 times a game and probably get hit no more than once. Especially if he's ready & willing to slide once he's gotten 5-6 yards.