True cost of Bills' Watkins trade

You said the player he reminded you most of was Ty Law. Which is a ridiculous statement, one of many made in the thread.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173987-give-us-your-overall-impression-of-sammy-watkins/page-11

yeah, never said "But what if he were converted to a DB, like Sammy should be according to JTSP?" nor compared him to Troy Brown. Tky for displaying your ignorance

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, never said "But what if he were converted to a DB, like Sammy should be according to JTSP?" nor compared him to Troy Brown. Tky for displaying your ignorance

You're right, you never said he should be converted. I fully admit I was wrong, and own that. My apologies.

You did say the player he reminded you MOST of is Ty Law. Which is almost more absurd than saying he should convert to a defensive back. So, thank you for displaying your continued ignorance of anything football related. :beer:

Good call and I agree. In Murph's interview with Rex today, Rexy mentioned exactly that and it stood out to me. He talked about how when Terry pitched him the job he said that they knew they were going to make mistakes, but their goal is to build a championship team. I loved hearing that! As did Rex apparently.Also in that same interview with Murph, Rex talks about Sammy Watkins. The crusaders should take a listen.

Where can I find his interview with John Murphy?

Where can I find his interview with John Murphy?

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Rex-Ryan-Were-going-to-chase-the-Championship/be676649-1fe0-4c9a-85ea-87f171e25b11

It's a good one. He says something to the effect of, "Anyone complaining or worried about how much the Bills gave up for Sammy needs to relax. He's great already. I knew we had to double him at all times, and he still burned us. And he opened things up for Woods who also burned us."

Pretty cool having a coach that had to gameplan around our O. Rex has done diagnostics on the areas of our offense that need work for the last year.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Rex-Ryan-Were-going-to-chase-the-Championship/be676649-1fe0-4c9a-85ea-87f171e25b11

It's a good one. He says something to the effect of, "Anyone complaining or worried about how much the Bills gave up for Sammy needs to relax. He's great already. I knew we had to double him at all times, and he still burned us. And he opened things up for Woods who also burned us."

Pretty cool having a coach that had to gameplan around our O. Rex has done diagnostics on the areas of our offense that need work for the last year.

Much obliged, FC. I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

GO BILLS!!!

It was a good listen. He said even when they doubled Sammy, Woods burned us and Sammy still got his catches.

One of the biggest costs of the trade is the ongoing argument over whether it was worth it.

Nah.

One of the biggest costs of the trade was the massive loss of energy necessary to pretend there's even an argument that it's worth it based on how things turned out.

No, he didn't say that. Didn't say people need to relax about how much we gave up. His quote was, "Trust me, you're going to be happy we've got him." And yeah, we already knew that. We are. Doesn't mean we didn't give up too much for him or that we wouldn't have been just as happy with Beckham.

"You have Sammy Watkins. Trust me, Sammy Watkins, people wonder, 'Oh, you ... gosh your first round.' You're going to be happy that we have Sammy Watkins. Trying to defend him, even though he's a rookie ... if we ever put two guys on him, he ended up burning us, and I knew he would. So there was one game we put two on him the entire football game. We still got beat by Woods, but that's what it opened up."

Yeah, everybody likes Watkins. But that doesn't mean it was a good trade.

LMAO...stop with the stupid math. A first pick was being used REGARDLESS...the COST of Sammy was ONE additional first and ONE fourth. If Sammy was there at 9, the COST would be zero, we would have USED our pick on him.

Its posters like you that make this board almost unreadable at times. You want to twist things and exaggerate things to equate to different things. You aren't fooling anyone...any fool over the age of 4 knows the COST of Sammy was ONE first round pick and ONE fourth. PERIOD.

Kid yourself if you must. But that is indeed what you're doing here.

Yeah, you "use" money to buy something. That doesn't mean the "cost was zero" because you only "used" money. The cost was the pick. If picking a guy didn't cost you the pick, you could turn around and pick a second player as well.

Every player costs a draft pick to get him. Or rather every drafted player. The guys who don't cost a pick are called UDFAs and the way you know that they didn't cost a pick is that the pick was used on somebody else. Unless teams paid more, in which case there is not just the cost of the original pick but an extra cost.

Man, you guys work so hard to twist the English language in directions it was never intended to go I'd swear you're working on your resumes to try to get a White House press secretary job. You're spinning harder than a super-charged power drill despite the fact that everybody already knows the terms of the trade. And the same guy will say, correctly, "Mariota will cost you a first round pick," or "Yeah we didn't have to overpay Peters but finally it cost us a 2nd round pick to replace him with Cordy Glenn."

Yeah, "cost" is often used with a trade. That doesn't rule out it's equally correct use to describe the ordinary use of a pick.

Edited by Thurman#1

One of the hidden costs of this trade was losing Marrone/Hackett. How about that?

And that is a good thing. Watkins is not the problem, the offense and its philosophy was this year. Bills need to develop a QB, that is obvious and in the mean time find one they can sign or trade for. Carolina has a few, once the Cardinals get healthy you think they might let go of one? I would be very interested in knowing what other teams have as younger backups that could be ready to take the next step.

That being said, the Bills have what six or seven pics and has been stated in another thread use them to draft say 3 QBs and 3 linemen and an DB. Just saying, it doesn't sound like rocket science or that it could even be measured by rocket science so Whaley and Rex should be able to handle this task..

Edited by North Buffalo