Is it strange/unusual that no coaches have been hired yet?

Historically, Senior Bowl time is when coaches start panicking. Teams like to have their coaching staffs in place to evaluate talent as representatives of an organization. Senior Bowl is January 20th this year. It will be an eventful two weeks...

One of the WGR morning guys brought up a point this AM that in a backwards way has merit. If we wait it out and other teams start to fill their slots, we may have an opportunity- that we wouldn't otherwise have because we're not the most desirable slot- to land one of the Seattle guys or perhaps Gase. Basically, we'd be the last job left. Funny, but waiting could work if we really want these guys and they don't have us at the top of their list, which they likely don't.

Case turned down a chance to interview with Cleveland last year instead of taking the last job available.

I would say different not strange. Teams seem now willing to wait for the best team's coordinators.

Also no college coaches seem to be in the mix this year. Not sure why Brian Kelly is not getting interviewed.

It seems like the NFL coach derby is stuck in quicksand this year, at least to me.

Not specifically the Bills situation, but I find it odd that of all the openings none have been filled yet, and more than that, none have been "all but signed sealed and delivered" yet either.

Almost two weeks in every one seems completely wide open.

Doesn't this seem odd? It could mean that a lot of playoff coordinators are up for these jobs. It also means IMO that there is no "hot shot, must have" name out there that teams are hotly competing for, thus they can wait.

Thoughts?

Every one's tired of screwing up and want's to make the "right" hire.

Here is a preview

Head Coach- Mike Shanahan

OC- Kyle Shanahan

DC Jim Schwartz

Quarterback Coach-Dowell Loggains

Bills starting QB- Brian Hoyer/ EJ Manuel

God I hope not. No way. No way I could consider picking up Hoyer even if he paid us.

This is absolutely an unusual year.

There are no Alpha candidates.

A Bunch of Beta candidates.

What happens every year is that the Alpha's get snatched up immediately - Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, Lovie Smith, Jim Caldwell.

Then after the Alphas get placed the Betas fall in line Marrone, Bill O'Brian etc etc

This year everyone looks like a Beta. Mike Shanahan is the only that could may be in the Alpha category but the Deadskins experience really tarnished his reputation and may have dropped him into the Beta Category.

The GMs are starting to get placed in Chicago, DC.

Coaches should start to tumble soon.

Especially when Carolina shocks the world!

This is absolutely an unusual year.

There are no Alpha candidates.

A Bunch of Beta candidates.

What happens every year is that the Alpha's get snatched up immediately - Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, Lovie Smith, Jim Caldwell.

Then after the Alphas get placed the Betas fall in line Marrone, Bill O'Brian etc etc

This year everyone looks like a Beta. Mike Shanahan is the only that could may be in the Alpha category but the Deadskins experience really tarnished his reputation and may have dropped him into the Beta Category.

The GMs are starting to get placed in Chicago, DC.

Coaches should start to tumble soon.

Especially when Carolina shocks the world!

Bears hire Saints exec Ryan Pace as new GM

I agree that GM's do like to control who coaches are on staff

I agree that it must be the lack of a superstar HC candidate that every team wants is desperate for

IMO the closest thing to that is Rex because he is teamed up with Trestman. That is the top prize, IMO. The Shanahan family is proably 2nd.

Once Rex is hired things will probably start moving.