Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

Whaley said he wants the coach to "continue to develop Manuel", no where does that say "Whaley is telling candidates that they most ONLY work with EJ Manuel".

TBD, making mountains out of molehills since 1992...

:thumbsup: Amen to this. I didn't see anywhere where it said it MUST be EJ or you don't get the job.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh they aren't? I was hoping they could just sign Andrew Luck. Terry has the $$$ after all!

You didn't mention Aaron Rogers, so I guess he is my pick.

Because, anyone who isn't ready to hop onto Russ Brandon's EJ Manuel train is just a big dummy!

LOL

It's January 7th. There will be the trade market. Free agency. The draft.

IF EJ remains the most viable option at QB after all of that then it will be a HUGE mistake.

I'm waiting for you to respond with your solution for who the better option is at this point?

I'll hang up and listen. LOL.

So Hackett is a good coach who was held back in play calling by Marrone?

But EJ never had any good coaching. Remember: EJ was the annointed starter throughout OTAs and training camp this season. Hackett and a QB coach were here working with EJ as their guy while Marrone was screaming at Urbik near the sleds.

Hackett and the offensive staff devoted the bulk of their coaching energy/time to EJ from last spring all trough August. Then they signed Orton right before the season because St. Doug was about to go postal at not having any other option at QB.

So how can Hackett be any good as an offensive coach? Are we suppsoed to believe that St. Doug (who spent most of his energy on the OL) told Hackett AND the QB coach they hired to work with EJ not to really coach him when their jobs rode on it?

Look, I am not against giving EJ a fair shot. But the chances of him panning out are VERY slim. This defense is ready to win NOW and I would hate to see them wasted (again) with an inept offense.

I'm just taken aback by this idea that Hackett is suddenly good and EJ is now a promising young QB.

I understand your concerns fully, especially any notion that Hackett is "good".

IF Hackett had even a slim chance of hoping the next HC of the Buffalo Bills would even remotely think of retaining his "services", he may want to turn off the cartoon network and get a dose of reality. Marrone and Hackett = inept. It's that simple really.

I'm waiting for you to respond with your solution for who the better option is at this point?

I'll hang up and listen. LOL.

Again, it is January 7th.

Okay, EJ IS the best option on THIS roster "at this point" as of January 7th because the only other option is Jeff Tuel.

You cannot improve the QB position this afternoon.

But let's not pretend like free agency, trades, and the draft do not exist.

Whaley is not demanding that the new coach start and play EJ. He is simple saying that he is here and he could possibly still be developed because he didn't get a good opportunity to develop under Marrone. There is no forcing Manuel on any one. And it's almost like a good test question for the candidates. It's like asking "What can you do with young talent?"

In the end Manuel might be the best option for the Bills next year. The free agent QB market this year is like going dumpster diving. As far as trades going, another team has to be willing to trade. So while names like Cutler and Bradford(who I would like) get thrown around there is no gurantee the Bills can get them.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

In the world we live in today, where instant gratification is the norm, much can be said for a young man who has his captaincy stripped, and benched while still playing at .500 so early in the season.

Rather than sulk and become a distraction and potential league embarrassment for his team, he sucked it all up, kept his composure and handled the setback akin to someone with more maturity beyond his years. I say give the kid a chance to play, and then there will be no ifs and buts about whether or not he's capable. What Doug "abandon with a mere text" Marrone and his inept OC did to set this organization so far back is beyond a waste of time. It should be illegal to waste the time of an entire organization based upon questionable 'coaching" tactics. A whole entire year wasted!

Edit: I mean/meant no disrespect to EJ with the "kid" reference, he is a man in my book. Maybe not The Man yet, but a Man where it counts for the remainder of his life. Stay classy young man, and remember plenty of people thought Jim Plunkett was a bust too.

Edited by Lombardi1

Okay, EJ IS the best option on THIS roster "at this point" as of January 7th because the only other option is Jeff Tuel.

Lets pretend like we actually know who is in the draft and who is slated to become a Free Agent . . . because you know . . .we do know on January 7th.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Lets pretend like we actually know who is in the draft and who is slated to become a Free Agent . . . because you know . . .we do know on January 7th.

In that case, I'll take Bradford (IF he makes it to FA), Hoyer, and Sanchez over EJ if they are free agents.

In trade, I'll take Cutler (assuming they will trade him)

No idea about the draft, as I don't really follow college football.

My dream scenario (aside from Rex Ryan being HC): Shanahan as HC and a trade for Cutler

Oh they aren't? I was hoping they could just sign Andrew Luck. Terry has the $$$ after all!

You didn't mention Aaron Rogers, so I guess he is my pick.

Because, anyone who isn't ready to hop onto Russ Brandon's EJ Manuel train is just a big dummy!

LOL

It's January 7th. There will be the trade market. Free agency. The draft.

IF EJ remains the most viable option at QB after all of that then it will be a HUGE mistake.

Why don't you just answer the question several posters have asked you: Who would you trade for or who would you draft that will be the most viable option?

In that case, I'll take Bradford (IF he makes it to FA), Hoyer, and Sanchez over EJ if they are free agents.

My dream scenario (aside from Rex Ryan being HC): Shanahan as HC and a trade for Cutler

Shanahan/Cutler is a poop sandwich. Guaranteed to fail. I can't believe people what that crap.

:thumbdown:

Why don't you just answer the question several posters have asked you: Who would you trade for or who would you draft that will be the most viable option?

I did.

And saying "well it's the best option we have" is settling. Why do we have to settle for incompetence?

EJ was the annointed starter all last offseason and he was so bad in OTA's and training camp that they went out and got Orton out of retirement.

Shanahan/Cutler is a poop sandwich. Guaranteed to fail. I can't believe people what that crap.

:thumbdown:

Not sure I'm totally on board with it but it would either be awesome or a total trainwreck.

With all due respect to FA and the draft, hopefully the incoming HC & his OC plan to go with Whaley's wishes to develop EJ, because right now we really need to set our focus upon complimenting center Eric Wood with some help upfront on the O-line.

Hell, it doesn't matter if Brady's your QB if the O-line is tamer than a lame-lamb. Let's develop EJ, and get Woods & Co some help.

Bradford isn't a FA so cross him off your list.

What have Hoyer and Sanchez done that make them far and away better choices? They are no better than Orton and still don't solve the QB problem.

Bradford isn't a FA so cross him off your list.

What have Hoyer and Sanchez done that make them far and away better choices? They are no better than Orton and still don't solve the QB problem.

Yeah they don't exactly inspire a ton of confidence but Sanchez did win a playoff game in New England and lead his team to two AFC Title games.

The current Bills team is a lot like the Jets teams Sanchez won with.

EJ can't even convince his coaches that he should be the guy when he is the only option (which is why they signed Orton on Labor Day)

Edited by TheFunPolice

Bradford is a huge injury concern; Sanchez is a turnover machine; Hoyer is incredibly inconsistent; and Cutler, while actually having top 10 QB ability, is a head case. None of them are sure bets.

Yeah they don't exactly inspire a ton of confidence but Sanchez did win a playoff game in New England and lead his team to two AFC Title games.

The current Bills team is a lot like the Jets teams Sanchez won with.

Sort of except the Bills don't have the running game.

I think what most posters are saying is at this point Manuel is the only real option even knowing the FA QBs. Would it be a good idea to bring in one of those guys? Of course. Bring em in to compete. And draft a guy too. But you can't count on any of them being any better than EJ and I know that's not saying much.

The trade for a QB could happen, it also might not happen. If The new coach of the Bears likes Cutler, he isn't going anywhere.

If saving EJ's career is the focus of the search, then, we are Dooomed. the new coach needs to be a O guy, or hire a great OC. He doens't need to have developing EJ as the prime directive. Winning games and making the playoffs is the prime directive....THIS YEAR, not in the future. If EJ can't run with the big dogs, let him sit on the porch.....as they say.

They're probably looking for a head coach who will coach to his players strengths. I think the "play not to lose" attitude is officially gone. Yes they want to win games, that is the prime objective, but they don't want to have a another coach that is afraid of losing.

Which brings me to EJ Manuel. The reason they are probably vetting head coaching candidates on Manuel is because they want to know what they would do with him in an offense if he were the only viable starting QB option. There are clear "right" and "wrong" answers they are looking for in the interview. Will you do what Marrone did and make Manuel a short pass don't take any risks QB? Or will you be aggressive and attack a defense using Manuel's athleticism giving much more freedom to throw the ball deep, run draws, roll outs, scrambles, audibles? I see the Bills wanting EJ Manuel to become a mix of a little bit of Cam Newton's running plays with Andrew Luck/Eli Manning's passing down the field, trust your WR (and accept he will throw 15-17 interceptions) style.

Manuel was never given "the keys" to a real NFL offense. No one knows how EJ he'll do, but the fact that the Bills want to interview Pep Hamilton tells you that they are going to change the offense drastically and they want to see their first round QB given an offensive game plan that coincides with a QB who was selected in the first round. We all know the Bills will have someone waiting in the wings if he fails be that a FA, or a 2nd or 3rd round daft pick.

Edited by 1billsfan

Id be willing to bet Whaley brings in a vet, and drafts a rookie this off season.

Id also be willing to bet neither one will be very thrilling.

As far as a vet, id like to see them bring in a good character guy, someone that fits well in the locker room. Someone to offer significant competition for EJ to hopefully win the job against.

This talk of him being "annointed" is absurd. Hes earned his spot on an NFL roster. No one is "annointed" a roster spot. Hes there because he deserves to be there.

Edited by mastershake