Sammy Watkins named finalist for NFL Rookie of the Year

YoloinOhio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stats are significant, but they aren't everything. I believe Sammy had as much to do with the success that Bills team had this year as any of the other 4 had for their teams. Where are game winning TDs measured? Clutch 3rd down catches? Drawing all the coverage to one side to open up other guys? Drawing safeties out of the box? Playing hurt for 16 games? Somehow Catching way off target passes? Battling the opponent's #1cb and constant double teams week in and week out?

I'll take Sammy. Voted.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Have to give credit where it's due, so congratulations to Sammy Watkins for shining bright this season. Congratulations GM Whaley as well. Truth be told, I wanted Whaley to shore up the O-line, because I thought Robert Woods would fill the void for the then recently traded StevieJ on long deep pass routes, and therefore selecting a wide out so soon wasn't exactly a smart move. Little did I know Whaley's keen eye picked up on something sorely missed by myself.

Now, fast forward to this off season, IF he's given at least another year with the blessings of Mr. & Mrs. Pegula perhaps this time around Whaley's focus can be upon landing some tackles and guards to compliment center Eric Wood & Co upfront (it really doesn't matter who the QB is if the O-line continues to be neglected in terms of personnel and coaching). Shoring up the O-line is akin to laying a solid foundation/cornerstone towards long term success. Even Brady, Manning, Rogers, etc. are only as good as their secret service detail upfront.

hmm so we could have had the NFL rookie of the year in Beckham Jr plus the #19 pick this year? depressing

We also could have Tom Brady for amere 5th round choice. Getting depressed about the woulda/coulda/shouldas f the draft is simply foolish to allow to happen.

What bothers me a great deal is that the Bills FO was very high on Odell Beckham Jr several weeks before the draft, and as we got closer to the draft that changed. I don't know why that changed either. Listening to the Seattle Seahawks scouts before the draft they were also very high on Beckham and stated he could be the best rookie WR to enter the draft since Julio Jones.

Its going to bother me even more on draft day when the Bills don't have a #1 and a #4 pick. I didn't like the trade then, and I still don't like it only because the Bills weren't 100% sure they had their franchise QB. Most NFL analysts say the Bills took a huge gamble on Watkins and lost, and even Bill Polian stated if he had taken the job in the Bills FO he would have hired GM AJ Smith.

Buddy Nix may have gotten rid of Tom Modrak, and yet there is still lingering bad scouting going on with the offensive side of the ball.

"Why didn't the Bills' scouts recognize Beckham's ability, stay put at No. 9, and select the LSU standout? We've been asking that question about Bills' drafts for a long time, haven't we?"

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2015/01/06/bills-wide-receiver-grades-sammy-watkins-sal-maiorana/21355277/

There is no doubt that Beckham had a great year. If you extrapolate his stats over 16 games he would have had 48 more targets than Watkins as well. Based on the same numbers if Watkins had another 48 targets he would have finished with roughly 90 receptions and 1,360 yards (if my memory serves me correctly).

Whoa, don't be bringing facts into this discussion. Remember number of targets doesn't matter or which QB is throwing the ball. You aren't allowed to use context in this argument.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Whoa, don't be bringing facts into this discussion. Remember number of targets doesn't matter or which QB is throwing the ball. You aren't allowed to use context in this argument.

I liked Beckham about as much as anyone on this board going into the draft. I thought that he would be a good player. With that being said I didn't think that he was near Watkins as a prospect. It turns out that the Beckham was better than anyone thought but that doesn't mean that Watkins isn't and won't be the better player. The Bills need to learn how to use him and to find a QB that can get that done.

I think that we got a little glimpse into the lack of usage this week. St. Doug didn't like the move and didn't feel a need to feature him. He just assumed he should feature 3 TE sets. Beckham received 21 targets in week 17 -21!!! I am hoping that the new offensive coaches understand what a weapon they have in Sammy and make an effort to get him the football.

I liked Beckham about as much as anyone on this board going into the draft. I thought that he would be a good player. With that being said I didn't think that he was near Watkins as a prospect. It turns out that the Beckham was better than anyone thought but that doesn't mean that Watkins isn't and won't be the better player. The Bills need to learn how to use him and to find a QB that can get that done.

I think that we got a little glimpse into the lack of usage this week. St. Doug didn't like the move and didn't feel a need to feature him. He just assumed he should feature 3 TE sets. Beckham received 21 targets in week 17 -21!!! I am hoping that the new offensive coaches understand what a weapon they have in Sammy and make an effort to get him the football.

I liked Beckham as a prospect but was a bit weary of his size. I know guys his size can be #1 receivers (Antonio Brown) but I always think about injuries and guys of that size. Add that Beckham was out the first 4 weeks with hamstring problems and I definitely didn't think he'd have the season he had. I agree the Giants made an obvious effort to put the ball in the hands of their play maker. The Bills made no such effort.

Why isn't Zack Martin on the ballot? As a first team All Pro he should be the clear winner of the award with Odell Beckham getting second.

Probably because he's playing between two other first-round picks, which makes it difficult to evaluate his performance on a stand-alone basis. The Cowboys' OL was very good, but OLs tend to be good or bad as a unit (as we've seen here). Martin is a case of the team finally overcoming the weakest link, not necessarily a guy coming in and dominating.

I liked Beckham as a prospect but was a bit weary of his size. I know guys his size can be #1 receivers (Antonio Brown) but I always think about injuries and guys of that size. Add that Beckham was out the first 4 weeks with hamstring problems and I definitely didn't think he'd have the season he had. I agree the Giants made an obvious effort to put the ball in the hands of their play maker. The Bills made no such effort.

He kind of felt like a Randall Cobb to me coming out. A really good receiver, can return kicks and can be explosive. I never saw him as a Julio Jones type of prospect.

He kind of felt like a Randall Cobb to me coming out. A really good receiver, can return kicks and can be explosive. I never saw him as a Julio Jones type of prospect.

Is Les Miles the most overrated coach in cfb or what? Last year he had Hill, Landry and Beckham plus a QB Mettenberger who started games in the nfl this year, not to mention Alfred Blue who started games in Houston,and didn't do sh*t.

Is Les Miles the most overrated coach in cfb or what? Last year he had Hill, Landry and Beckham plus a QB Mettenberger who started games in the nfl this year, not to mention Alfred Blue who started games in Houston,and didn't do sh*t.

He is without a doubt the worst. He is losing Louisiana kids now to A&M (Speedy Noil), Alabama (Landon Collins) and even Mississippi State (Dak Prescott). Those are just a couple of examples but these other schools have managed to move in on this state which is per capita the most talented state by far: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/09/louisiana_has_the_most_players.html

Les is totally inept and his chair is starting to heat up down here.

I was just talking about this! LSU games are so insanely boring. Miles is a great recruiter but I'm not sure he is a great coach.

And if Beckham was on the Bills with Marrone and Orton, he would had over 2,000 yards. Sammy is a bust. These are facts.

Please explain what was not factual about my post?

Still ticked off they did not get Watkins his 1K receiving, He missed it by what 12 yards or so? in fact for awhile there it seemed plausible that Fred might not get his 3 frigging yards to kick in his 100K bonus. Those type of things to me reeked of an agenda by Marrone and he was not the slightest bit interested in having Hackett calling plays to reward a couple of guys for a year of hard work, despite his inability to coach. You have to dig deep to find a coach anywhere that had zero team or "family" interests but simply saw the gig as a platform too sell himself. Worst coaching hire in many years if not ever. Sure some HC's sucked but they were human. That's what you get i guess when hiring a Saint.