If the Bills hire a DC not named Schwartz to be HC...

eball

...how do you sell that to the players on D?

Now, granted, I realize you don't have to sell them on anything -- they are professionals under contract. Setting that aside, however, does anyone think it would create problems in "the room?"

"Hey guys, we just finished the season with a top 5 defense and held Manning, Rodgers, and Brady without a TD pass over our last four games...but we don't think Schwartz is the guy to be our HC and we hired another defensive guy we like."

I guess all would be fine and dandy, but still...

The Bills declined the Skins' request to interview him for DC so they clearly want him to stay in at least the DC capacity.

If I'm the Bills FO, with Schwartz already in the fold I hold out for a Quinn or Bevell, whichever agrees to keep Schwartz as a full charge DC. If either of them decline, I have a fallback in Schwartz as HC, maybe with Pepper as DC and a Trestman as OC.

Not sure how Schwartz could decline either scenario.

I would think unless they are blown away, a DC other than Schwartz is unlikely. If Schwartz has a convincing plan on offense and has a line on a great offensive staff, then he is likely the favorite.

Otherwise, it makes most sense to hire an offensive mind with Schwartz as AHC\DC. If there is an offensive guy out there who wants to completely revamp the defense, I would question their decision making and I think it would be a clear red flag against them.

You can NOT base your decision on who the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills will be based on Jim Schwartz's reaction. This team hasn't made the playoffs in forever. Jim Schwartz had his shot at being a HC and should be very thankful he's in a great position being the DC of the best defense in the NFL.

If he gets upset that a guy like Dan Quinn or another DC in the league is getting the Bills head coaching job and he's not getting it then he can leave. A monkey could coach our defense to a top 5 next year. It's time this team act like the Steelers and Ravens franchises and pick the best candidate, not who the obvious and most convenient replacement would be to go with.

Good question, and it's for that reason that I'm hoping for either an offensive-minded HC who keeps the defensive staff intact, or Rex Ryan. In Ryan's case, I don't think there would be many problems either in terms of selling the new coach/scheme to the players or in terms of actual performance. The D was mostly the same personnel in 2013 and 2014, and Ryan's disciple Pettine did quite a good job with it in 2013.

I won't exactly be excited if Schwartz winds up as the HC, but I won't totally hate it. He certainly deserves to be a candidate after the year his defense had. He did at least make the playoffs once in Detroit, and unlike Jauron, I think that was a legit playoff team, not just a lucky string of victories.

If Schwartz becomes HC he won't be inheriting a 0-16 team like he did in Detroit. We definitely need a top DC or defensive coach. That was the problem under Gaily. Monkeys like Wannstedt couldn't get good production out the D.

Without an elite quarterback the secret to winning is tough D, and run the ball. The recipe for 2015 should be simple: don't screw up the D, get a good O-line coach and fix the line, draft a RB to compete with the others. A good offensive coach or Schwartz with a good OC and staff...

I wonder how many bills have been in the same D system under the same DC for consecutive years. I think its only Kyle Williams. Maybe McKelvin. Thats not good. They should improve a lot with consistency.

Kevin Massare @KevinMassare 7m7 minutes ago

Based on what I'm hearing, the bills are only interviewing candidates with the hope of keeping Schwartz. Will go a long way to picking HC.

Probably trying to learn from the Bears' mistake -- they wanted to keep Marinelli as DC but ignored his input regarding HC candidates and he bolted for Dallas.

Just as tough a sell as when greggo came here. We had maybe the no. 5 defense, and he blew it up and changed the scheme, telling everyone,"well, I had the no. 2 defense in Tennessee." I actually think some players accepted that or at least claimed to accept it.

It was worse than that because the Bills had the #3 defense and the Titans the #1 and those rankings were probably only a few ball bounces from being flipped.

Mike Tomlin is smarter than Greggo because, even though he's a 4-3 coach also, he kept the Steeler's 3-4 in place.