The "rot" at the core of the Bills' organization

Yoli

There is something rotten at the core of the Bills organization. What is it? Can the Pegula's figure it out and root it out? Is there anyone available with the intelligence, integrity, and experience out there to help them (and perhaps to save them from Russ Brandon)? The most recent indication of the rot was Marrone. His press conferences and interviews were an embarrassment. He sounded like an idiot -- his sentences went on and on; they were ungrammatical and loaded with word wasting space fillers. When I listened to other NFL coaches (Jason Garret comes to mind), sentences are clear, concise and to the point. If Marrone couldn't speak clearly, how could anyone expect him to think well? Every bill of goods we have been sold, but especially Doug Marrone, has had a tinge of sleaze that comes when marketing isn't paired with a viable product. I don't buy Brandon's schtick that he saved the franchise by regionalizing it. I think people in WNY and Southern Ontario would have bought tickets no matter what was put on the field. We are a football community -- the perfect fans for a brutal sport, not discerning customers who expect intelligence, excellence and quality. The latter are are the people to whom the NFL as a total entertainment experience markets itself. And the latter would have deserted the Bills in droves or insisted on something better, more intelligent, and more accountable. That is the reality; the question is what would it take to change that? How can an apparently fairly nice couple, T. Pegula's utter social awkwardness notwithstanding, figure all of this out in a very short period of time and create a real NFL organization? Frankly, the Bills of the last 15 years seem an awful lot like an estate sale -- the smell of mildew and death is inescapable and yet people come anyway, hoping for something great. I know these issues have been brought up many times on these boards. But I don't know if the concept of rot has been used. Flame away, but I'd really like to explore the contours of the concept.

There is something rotten at the core of the Bills organization. What is it? Can the Pegula's figure it out and root it out? Is there anyone available with the intelligence, integrity, and experience out there to help them (and perhaps to save them from Russ Brandon)? The most recent indication of the rot was Marrone. His press conferences and interviews were an embarrassment. He sounded like an idiot -- his sentences went on and on; they were ungrammatical and loaded with word wasting space fillers. When I listened to other NFL coaches (Jason Garret comes to mind), sentences are clear, concise and to the point. If Marrone couldn't speak clearly, how could anyone expect him to think well? Every bill of goods we have been sold, but especially Doug Marrone, has had a tinge of sleaze that comes when marketing isn't paired with a viable product. I don't buy Brandon's schtick that he saved the franchise by regionalizing it. I think people in WNY and Southern Ontario would have bought tickets no matter what was put on the field. We are a football community -- the perfect fans for a brutal sport, not discerning customers who expect intelligence, excellence and quality. The latter are are the people to whom the NFL as a total entertainment experience markets itself. And the latter would have deserted the Bills in droves or insisted on something better, more intelligent, and more accountable. That is the reality; the question is what would it take to change that? How can an apparently fairly nice couple, T. Pegula's utter social awkwardness notwithstanding, figure all of this out in a very short period of time and create a real NFL organization? Frankly, the Bills of the last 15 years seem an awful lot like an estate sale -- the smell of mildew and death is inescapable and yet people come anyway, hoping for something great. I know these issues have been brought up many times on these boards. But I don't know if the concept of rot has been used. Flame away, but I'd really like to explore the contours of the concept.

Marrone may have had some public speaking issues, but I guarantee you that he knows how to use paragraphs when writing.

- Russ Brandon is not part of the answer. The NFL sells itself, he is not a special and the more he gets involved, the longer it will take to move forward. I don't know how he can be involved in anything football related

- Overdorf needs to go, he just does.

- Marrone, thank you for leaving, say no more

- Polian, I don't think he had Buffalo's best interests at heart at all. They seemed to be self-motivated. I am glad he is not back in Buffalo and don't want to rebuild the glory years. I want to move forward with Pegula and a new regime. Polian's support of Marrone, saying a lot of work needs to be done in Buffalo and his lack of commitment leads me to believe we are lucky he didn't come as it would have set us back. Especially, with, what seemed to be listening to half stories and believing media instead of THINKING and digging in.

- we do need to rid ourselves of the lifers and get rid of the losing way of doing things

- Whaley seems to want to rid the organization of losing ways and the we have always done it that way speel. I am fine with Whaley staying and starting this retool/rebuild without the others holding the organization back

I do not buy the marketing abilities of Brandon, his brainstorm of the playing games in Toronto failed and the need for a complex marketing strategy is not required. In Buffalo, build a winner, a team constantly competitive and you have a successful marketing strategy. For years RW resisted paying for marketing until Brandon arrived and sold snake oil; as far as corporate box seat go, put a product on the field and they will sell.

This teams drafts over the last decade are horrendous, poor coaching staffs, and lousy FA acquisitions for the most part. Buffalo fans are now giddy over a 9-7 finish despite getting beat by a 4-12 team with nothing to play for; yet no post season since 1999.

Where else in the business world can you fail so consistently and remained employed?

And now this circus is merely the culmination of this lost decade.

- Russ Brandon is not part of the answer. The NFL sells itself, he is not a special and the more he gets involved, the longer it will take to move forward. I don't know how he can be involved in anything football related

- Polian, I don't think he had Buffalo's best interests at heart at all. They seemed to be self-motivated. I am glad he is not back in Buffalo and don't want to rebuild the glory years. I want to move forward with Pegula and a new regime. Polian's support of Marrone, saying a lot of work needs to be done in Buffalo and his lack of commitment leads me to believe we are lucky he didn't come as it would have set us back. Especially, with, what seemed to be listening to half stories and believing media instead of THINKING and digging in.

- we do need to rid ourselves of the lifers and get rid of the losing way of doing things

- Whaley seems to want to rid the organization of losing ways and the we have always done it that way speel. I am fine with Whaley staying and starting this retool/rebuild without the others holding the organization back

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree with your take on Marrone. Someone that inarticulate has no business running an NFL team in 2015. A great counter example is Mike Tomlin. Watching his press conferences, you can understand why he is such a successful coach. Buddy Nix of course is another example of Buffalo hiring people for top level executive positions who seem unable to string together more than two coherent sentences, and i have to say, Whaley did not come off too well in his presser the other day, either. I know this is just football, but this stuff matters. It is a media-driven business now. It seems to me that the ability to stand in front of a microphone and sound like you know what you are doing is a minimum qualification for an NFL HC or GM.

Edited by mannc

I agree with your take on Marrone. Someone that inarticulate has no business running an NFL team in 2015. A great counter example is Mike Tomlin. Watching his press conferences, you can understand why he is such a successful coach. Buddy Nix of course is another example of Buffalo hiring people for top level executive positions who seem unable to string together more than two coherent sentences, and i have to say, Whaley did not come off too well in his presser the other day, either. I know this is just football, but this stuff matters. It is a media-driven business now. It seems to me that the ability to stand in front of a microphone and sound like you know what you are doing is a minimum qualification for an NFL HC or GM.

Dadgummit, show me the baby pal, you don't know whatchure yakkin' about.

Yoli, can you cite examples of Pegula's social awkwardness? Have you been at a party with him? Surely you're not referring to his showing emotion at the time he single handedly saved the heart and soul of the region he loves?

Brandon is well respected as a marketer. And yes, the product does need to be marketed when your team is located in the second smallest NFL market. 40,000 season ticket holders is not a cause for pride.

And why should an owner just accept that he must sell his product at rock bottom prices? Increasing the pool of people who can actually pay NFL prices is a no brainer. Do you find those people in Cattaraugus County or Southern Ontario?

The rot was/ is the old guard. Littman and Overdorf especially. They were Ralph's cronies and based on what I've read they've consistently undermined anyone who they've had differences with and clearly prioritized their ego/ job security over the greater good of the team.For whatever reason Ralph was loyal to these guys and they were never held acccountable while numerous coaches and GMs took the fall.

Littman is gone thankfully.. Now Overdorf needs to go. And anyone that they hired that is still there needs to be purged as well. Plenty of bright young finance guys out there that can do their jobs who are young and hungry that don't have the lifer attitude

Edited by Bocephuz

Yoli, can you cite examples of Pegula's social awkwardness? Have you been at a party with him? Surely you're not referring to his showing emotion at the time he single handedly saved the heart and soul of the region he loves?

Brandon is well respected as a marketer. And yes, the product does need to be marketed when your team is located in the second smallest NFL market. 40,000 season ticket holders is not a cause for pride.

And why should an owner just accept that he must sell his product at rock bottom prices? Increasing the pool of people who can actually pay NFL prices is a no brainer. Do you find those people in Cattaraugus County or Southern Ontario?

If Brandon departs OBD he is finished in the NFL; can you cite factual sources that he is a respected marketing guy other than those on this board who express opinions? Marketing is winning - everyone wants to be part of a winner, to include those who can afford "NFL prices."

And please don't reference Oakland as wanting Brandon, it's not factual!

BLUF!!! 1999 - 2014!!! Nothing!!!

If Brandon departs OBD he is finished in the NFL; can you cite factual sources that he is a respected marketing guy other than those on this board who express opinions? Marketing is winning - everyone wants to be part of a winner, to include those who can afford "NFL prices."

And please don't reference Oakland as wanting Brandon, it's not factual!

BLUF!!! 1999 - 2014!!! Nothing!!!

You may not want to believe it, but yes, it's very likely Brandon would get another NFL job, and quickly.

He's very popular with the Krafts, Joneses, and Snyders of the NFL world.