Would Chan be an upgrade as OC?

BmarvB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For a while, Chan made Fitz look like a capable NFL QB.

He made Spiller look like a Pro Bowl RB.

He made Stevie look like a Pro Bowl WR.

He made a weak OL look good.

Good coaches get the best out of their people. Marrone/Hackett don't do that. Gailey did. So, yes, I'd bring him back as OC.

Oops, just noticed C Biscuit making almost the very same point...

He made Fitz, SJ, Nelson, Chandler into viable NFL players. Spiller was one of the best rbs in the NFL under him. The oline was a strength.

It's amazing how short people's memories are. They were an average offense with horrendous offensive talent. That is the sign of good coaching. Chan got a lot out of average players and turned scrubs into productive NFL players.

Chan had Fitz running his offense.

For a while, Chan made Fitz look like a capable NFL QB.

He made Spiller look like a Pro Bowl RB.

He made Stevie look like a Pro Bowl WR.

He made a weak OL look good.

Good coaches get the best out of their people. Marrone/Hackett don't do that. Gailey did. So, yes, I'd bring him back as OC.

Oops, just noticed C Biscuit making almost the very same point...

Fitz would be the best QB on the Bills right now.

It's amazing how short people's memories are. They were an average offense with horrendous offensive talent. That is the sign of good coaching. Chan got a lot out of average players and turned scrubs into productive NFL players.

Exactly! Stevie was a 7th rounder. Chandler got cut by 2 teams. Jones and Nelson weren't drafted. Fitz was a journeyman.

I wouldn't mind having Chan back as the OC. He's used to getting the most he can get out of very little to work with at the QB position. Hell, he even got more out of the O-line. Outside of Henderson, weren't these the same guys who were here when he was coaching?

What do you think, would you consider him an upgrade over Hackett or no?

I can't tell you how many times this season I uttered: "Man, I miss Chan calling plays".

Say what you will, but the guy knew how to maximize what he had.

Kirby I have a question. If he was such a good coach, why didn't someone else hire him? Why has he been out of the league the last 2 years? I'm not bashing, I'm just asking for your thoughts.

He made Fitz, SJ, Nelson, Chandler into viable NFL players. Spiller was one of the best rbs in the NFL under him. The oline was a strength.

Chan was good at making mediocre look better than what it really was. Even that much would have been good enough to get us in the playoffs and possibly into the second round.

I have been on record that i dont hate Hackett..as i think it is just Marone funneled through Hackett. This is Marrone's offense, not Hacketts.

That why i cant see a change in production by bringing in a new OC...it a new HC that is needed. My gut says Hackett would be okay if allowed to run the offense he wants.

Kirby I have a question. If he was such a good coach, why didn't someone else hire him? Why has he been out of the league the last 2 years? I'm not bashing, I'm just asking for your thoughts.

To be really honest, I have no idea. A lot of those guys that he had aren't even in the NFL. I'm not talking about the 5th-6th WR types I am talking about the 2nd-3rd type of guys. Chan is a little older but actually played a really modern style. I'm not saying that he was/is the greatest offensive coach in the world but he's pretty darn good.

I can't tell you how many times this season I uttered: "Man, I miss Chan calling plays".

Say what you will, but the guy knew how to maximize what he had.

THAT'S the point right there!! He got the most out of what he had to work with.

Well I guess some opinion piece from Buffalo Rumblings proves Hackett is qualified. Ignore the horrendous play calling and the lack of adjustments which this article doesn't mention at all.

I don't need some half assed article to tell me Hackett is ok. I have eyes and watch all the games. He !@#$ing blows and if you disagree, then you blow too.

To be really honest, I have no idea. A lot of those guys that he had aren't even in the NFL. I'm not talking about the 5th-6th WR types I am talking about the 2nd-3rd type of guys. Chan is a little older but actually played a really modern style. I'm not saying that he was/is the greatest offensive coach in the world but he's pretty darn good.

Chan got offers but decided to retire and garden.

He's still crazy as a loon. I'll never forget 5 wide on third and inches, or Gailey calling for deep throws with a lead against Tennesee and 2 minutes on the clock. Guy was out of his mind.

Edited by FireChan

I don't think the article is implying that Hackett is qualified. I think it's implying that Marrone is unqualified to run an NFL offense.

Chan did the same thing with Curtis Modkins. He just had the position, Gailey was the one running the offense. Most really good OC's are hired by defensive minded head coaches, and offensive minded coaches tend to bring in the better defensive coordinators (sound familiar?).

There will be plenty of good offensive minds out there to pick from in the offseason.

That's not the hard part. Hard part for the Bills is admitting Nate Hackett isn't one of them.

I think this will be where Pegula and the Bills swing for the fences to get a Schwartz for the offense. I think Marrone has bought himself a year but they are going to go get the best OC they can find, whether he's in the league presently or not.