European court says that obesity is a disability

Hmm. Disability meaning they can gets carts, and parking passes and free stuff done to their homes to retro fit for 500 pounds humans.... with no incentive to make life changes....

or...

its a medical diagnosis and people can get linked up for therapy for mental illness? If this is the case, I do think people who suffer from morbid obesity can benefit from therapy, so perhaps this is a good move. I dated a girl whose father ate 4 pizzas a day, 2 at lunch 2 at dinner, stacked then on top of each other and ate them like big ass slices- and that is not all he ate in a day, and was well north of 400lbs. He finally decided enough was enough, and he went to OA, overeaters anonymous. He dropped down to 185lbs, but he went to a meeting everyday, had a sponsor, etc- it was like AA, just for a different type of compulsion/ addiction. He told me had gone to meeting everyday for 5 years, and would go back to daily meetings when the urges were to worst of his life was in a slump.

The difference being OA was free, just addicts helping addicts. I don;t know if AA and OA and truly dealing with the underlying mental issue, or whether they are more abstinence groups of damaged people who are not drinking, drugging or eating, etc.

Hmm. Disability meaning they can gets carts, and parking passes and free stuff done to their homes to retro fit for 500 pounds humans.... with no incentive to make life changes....

or...

its a medical diagnosis and people can get linked up for therapy for mental illness? If this is the case, I do think people who suffer from morbid obesity can benefit from therapy, so perhaps this is a good move. I dated a girl whose father ate 4 pizzas a day, 2 at lunch 2 at dinner, stacked then on top of each other and ate them like big ass slices- and that is not all he ate in a day, and was well north of 400lbs. He finally decided enough was enough, and he went to OA, overeaters anonymous. He dropped down to 185lbs, but he went to a meeting everyday, had a sponsor, etc- it was like AA, just for a different type of compulsion/ addiction. He told me had gone to meeting everyday for 5 years, and would go back to daily meetings when the urges were to worst of his life was in a slump.

The difference being OA was free, just addicts helping addicts. I don;t know if AA and OA and truly dealing with the underlying mental issue, or whether they are more abstinence groups of damaged people who are not drinking, drugging or eating, etc.

OA is just like AA in regards to it being a mental disorder. Eating just like drugging or boozing triggers a dopamine release that eventually goes haywire if abused. Then the problem perpetuates itself, am I eating be caused I'm depressed or am I depressed because I'm eating? Not sure id qualify it as a disability but it's definitely a malady. Problem I see here is that, just like with alcoholics and drug addicts, will people abuse the help being offered?

Well duh. If someone chops off their own leg they still have a disability regardless of how they got there. If someone is too fat to walk they obviously are disabled. An alcoholic is disabled because they literally might die without more booze, even if they made themselves an alcoholic.

Some obese people are obese due to circumstances beyond their control, disorders, genetics, whatever. Some obese people are obese due to being stupid.

Kinda wish there was a little differentiation between the two groups in these conversations.

That will be why this is going to be a nightmare. The people who are obese for no medical reason and they just like to eat and can't stop.

Some a very slim minority of obese people are obese due to circumstances beyond their control, disorders, genetics, whatever. Some the vast majority of obese people are obese due to being stupid and not having the will to push away from the damn table.

FTFY

Source?

Well first off, common sense. Obesity rates in the US began rapidly climbing in the 80's at a rate too fast to be explained in any significant way by a change in the genetic composition in the population.

But if that's not enough:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/91/1/184.full

From the article:

We showed that the 12 common variants identified by recent GWAS for BMI were associated with measures of overall obesity without specific effects on abdominal obesity. Of all SNPs examined, rs1121980 in the FTO locus, the first GWAS-identified locus (9, 10), showed the largest effects (0.33 in BMI units, 866 g in weight; ORobesity = 1. 296 for each additional risk allele). Importantly, the 12 variants had cumulative effects on obesity measures; with each additional risk allele, a person carried weight increased by 444 g (or 0.149 BMI units), and the risk of obesity increased by 10.8%. However, collectively these variants explained <1% of the variance in BMI and provided limited predictive value for obesity risk as indicated by the small increase in the AUC (2 ∼ 3%) beyond the predictive value from age and sex.

Here's a more reader-friendly piece that cites lots of studies:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/

Most people probably have some genetic predisposition to obesity, depending on their family history and ethnicity. Moving from genetic predisposition to obesity itself generally requires some change in diet, lifestyle, or other environmental factors. Some of those changes include the following:

• the ready availability of food at all hours of the day and in places that once did not sell food, such as gas stations, pharmacies, and office supply stores;
  • a dramatic decrease in physical activity during work, domestic activities, and leisure time, especially among children;
  • increased time spent watching television, using computers, and performing other sedentary activities; and
  • the influx of highly processed foods, fast food, and sugar-sweetened beverages, along with the ubiquitous marketing campaigns that promote them.