6th or 7th round pick for Kirk Cousins?

When suggesting trades one should ask themselves why would the other team make the trade they were proposing and if they were a fan of that team would they also want to make the same trade.

Why would the Redskins trade a capable backup for a 6th or 7th round pick? Which is more valuable to them, a capable backup behind RG3 or a low round pick who at best would be on their practice squad?

These are the types of questions people should be asking themselves when suggesting trades like this.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view is that Cousins would be the perfect add to compete with EJ and Orton next year. Tuel needs to be gone, and , maybe, EJ. I think the zoo that was Washington made it hard for Cousins to succeed. They gave up on him in Washington.....OK, and he has a lot more upside than Colt McCoy. And, the fact that the price is right is beside the point. Cousins played well for a number of games. And, with RG3 out a lot due to injury, he has a lot of playing time under his belt. We have done well with another refugee from Washington....Barcardi Rambo.....I would like to try this one also.

Cousins lack of ability made it hard for him to succeed. You would think after the Rob Johnson fiasco Bills fans would be more critical of one or two game wonders like Cousins. He came in when RGIII was hurt two years ago and had two good games. He has been awful since, despite extended opportunities to start. He is every bit the 4th round draft choice he was. Maybe a competent back up someday, but not a starter and not a better option than EJ. Major pass on this guy.

When suggesting trades one should ask themselves why would the other team make the trade they were proposing and if they were a fan of that team would they also want to make the same trade.

Why would the Redskins trade a capable backup for a 6th or 7th round pick? Which is more valuable to them, a capable backup behind RG3 or a low round pick who at best would be on their practice squad?

These are the types of questions people should be asking themselves when suggesting trades like this.

The answer to your question is that they wouldn't trade him. Cousins stinks. He can sometimes throw a beautiful ball downfield when the receiver is open. Terrific.

I started thinking about all of the starters in the league and the ones that may be available for trade, Cutler, Kaepernick, RGIII etc....

I don't really want any of them especially not Cutler or Kaepernick because both have massive contracts and are not worth paying a bunch of money to.

So I started thinking, what backup QB is out there that we can possibly get for a late round pick? has had some kind of success in the league and can "compete" for a starting job? After going roster by roster I thought Kirk Cousins is the only one that would really be worth anything. He has one year left on his rookie contract and he is only going to be getting paid $660,000 next season. Now granted, his last couple of games that he started he didn't play well, like the Giants game when he threw 4 INTs. Other than that though he has shown a little bit at least and in my opinion is the one backup in the league with at least a small upside. If we got him for a late round pick, something like a 6th or 7th rounder to come in and again "compete" for a starting job not be given a starting job, he may be worth going after. If he doesn't play well we can release him after next season with no penalty. He can't play to much worse than Orton has been playing. We do only need somewhat mediocre QB play with our defense after all.

So if you're the Redskins GM, having just spent a 4th round pick on Cousins in 2012 and he having shown he can play in the NFL (how well, debatable - he actually had a reasonable year in 2014 but he's clearly not a Gabbert-like deer-in-the-headlights guy), what would be your motivation to trade Cousins for a 6th or 7th round pick?

Keep in mind the other QB on your team in 2014 were the perennially-injured RGIII and Colt McCoy.

Did you see what happened last time he attempted to play football ? Someone sell me a noose if we land Ponder or Locker.

These guys are both still young and at least there is some hope they might improve. FWIW, I would have a bit of interest in Locker, too.

Locker and Ponder both have physical ability (especially Locker if he is healthy.

We need to be realistic, there aren't going to be ANY proven very good QBs available in FA, the draft where the Bills pick or by trade. Bradford or Cutler are it in terms of "names" that *might* be available. Beyond them, I would just as soon take my chances with EJ competing with a Locker, Ponder or even Cousins over someone like Matt Moore or Josh Mckown. Older career backups are what they are and won't be good enough in the long run, likely not even for a season.