2015 Salary cap

YoloinOhio

The issue with a rapidly rising salary cap is that it going to benefit most the teams that are already built for contention. Those teams are going to be able to afford to re-sign all of the players that they want to re-sign. Teams that are looking to improve are going to be sitting with a bunch of cap room and stuck with a relatively poor free-agent class. If the salary cap really does jump to around $140 million next season I don't necessarily think it's a good thing for the Bills overall, although it would allow them to retain Hughes, which would be great for the defense.

bills will have about + $60 mil to spend in Free agency in 2015

HUGE SHAKEUP IN ROSTER:

league wide salary cap increase, bills carry over, much less dead money

2015 free agents lost: hughes(4), pears (3.5), spikes (3.2), lee smith (0.7), spiller (4.5)

2015 CUTS : mike Williams (7), Orton (7), urbik (3.6), Lawson (3.1), rivers (2.2)

I'd be interested in seeing the math that gets them to $60M with a $140M salary cap.

I thought Orton's contract was player option for 2015 ? If that's the case, and he opts IN and Bills cut him, wouldn't that create dead money in 2015 to the tune of $5M ?

If he opts in, only $1.5M of his 2015 total compensation is in the form of bonus money; the rest is in base salary. If he opts in, and Buffalo cuts him, the dead money hit is $1.5M:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2015/

If only cap space could guarantee a Quarterback! We don't need a huge roster shakeup as much as we need the one elusive piece. But the cap space is certainly encouraging, if only so we can keep some of our existing players (and find a guard or two).

I'd be interested in seeing the math that gets them to $60M with a $140M salary cap.

I suspect the $60M in cap space double counts the carryover, which is a little under $19M. I'm seeing spending of a little less than $123M. So, using round numbers, a cap of $140M results in an adjusted cap of $159M. Take away spending of $123M and they'd have $36M to spend before any cuts or contract adjustments.

I suspect the $60M in cap space double counts the carryover, which is a little under $19M. I'm seeing spending of a little less than $123M. So, using round numbers, a cap of $140M results in an adjusted cap of $159M. Take away spending of $123M and they'd have $36M to spend before any cuts or contract adjustments.

And I think Pegula would make the most out of that cap space

CBF

so on top of the $36 mil you show, i'm cutting the following players (cap / dead money/ savings) for another $20 mil freed up.

kyle Orton ($7.0/1.5/5.5)

mike Williams ($6.8/0/6.8)

cj spiller (4.3/2.2/2.1) he opts out

urbik (3.7/1.4/2.3)

Lawson (3.1/1.5/1.6)

Rivers (2.2/0.5/1.7)

TOTAL (27.1 cap/7.1 dead / 20.0 savings)

so on top of the $36 mil you show, i'm cutting the following players (cap / dead money/ savings) for another $20 mil freed up.

kyle Orton ($7.0/1.5/5.5)

mike Williams ($6.8/0/6.8)

cj spiller (4.3/2.2/2.1) he opts out

urbik (3.7/1.4/2.3)

Lawson (3.1/1.5/1.6)

Rivers (2.2/0.5/1.7)

TOTAL (27.1 cap/7.1 dead / 20.0 savings)

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the assertion you made a mistake. Let's go from this. That leaves 40 on the active roster before re-signings, free agency and the draft. The Bills have six picks of which one or two might be PS players, plus an UDFA or two might make the team. Let's say they get 6 to the active roster from both for a total of 46. That leaves 6 re-signings and free agents, which is reasonable. But other than re-signing Hughes I doubt that there will be many places to throw around big money. As I noted in an earlier post, such a huge increase in cap room will allow teams to keep their players. There will be some serious overspending on even mid-tier talent in free agency.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the assertion you made a mistake. Let's go from this. That leaves 40 on the active roster before re-signings, free agency and the draft. The Bills have six picks of which one or two might be PS players, plus an UDFA or two might make the team. Let's say they get 6 to the active roster from both for a total of 46. That leaves 6 re-signings and free agents, which is reasonable. But other than re-signing Hughes I doubt that there will be many places to throw around big money. As I noted in an earlier post, such a huge increase in cap room will allow teams to keep their players. There will be some serious overspending on even mid-tier talent in free agency.

I'd include Searcy, Hairston, and Wynn in the re-signings, so that makes 3 of the 6 roster spaces remaining. That leaves 3 for UFAs from other teams.

Also, think about extensions for Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore when it comes to the additional cap room.

I'd include Searcy, Hairston, and Wynn in the re-signings, so that makes 3 of the 6 roster spaces remaining. That leaves 3 for UFAs from other teams.

Also, think about extensions for Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore when it comes to the additional cap room.

and im not opposed to getting that hit moved up instead of pushed back on them, or several others. a lot of people are talking pushing dollars back with mario.... i think theres something to be said for eating some cap up in 2015 and going into 2016 with a pretty clean slate (and reduced cap hits for some key players) and strong roster unless a great opportunity comes along unexpectedly.

and im not opposed to getting that hit moved up instead of pushed back on them, or several others. a lot of people are talking pushing dollars back with mario.... i think theres something to be said for eating some cap up in 2015 and going into 2016 with a pretty clean slate (and reduced cap hits for some key players) and strong roster unless a great opportunity comes along unexpectedly.

I hear you...I'd try to eat up cap space this year with Dareus and Hughes and keep their cap hits level moving forward. With Mario, the issue is that his cap hit balloons to $19M in 2015 and pretty much stays there for the remaining 3 years of his deal. I'm okay with that for 2015, but I'd really like to see them sign him to an extension prior to 2016 to lessen his cap hit and ensure the group stays together for the long-term.

I'd expect some of turnover of end-of-the-bench players as well. Certainly manageable.