Johnny Football. Meet the Meatball.

YoloinOhio

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What?

Wilson is ridiculous, yeah. But his game is very similar to Johnny's. That's all.

I agree with you on Manziel and he's talented and still has a chance. But he's very little like Russell Wilson in my book. Wilson is a fluke of the highest order. Johnny Football is a wild man and X factor and schoolyard player with intangibles like Flutie who can possibly excel against the odds. Wilson is a complete quarterback with everything you could possibly want except 3" of height.

Actually I think those plays prove exactly the point I am making, indeed the first link was one of the plays I had in my mind. He stands in the pocket, he looks downfield, there is nobody open. At 00:04 of the video the pocket begins to collapse and he escapes. He gets away from a tackler and at the first possible opportunity at 00:09 he sets his feet and looks downfield for a target - still nobody is open. He escapes again but yet again at 00:13 he sets and looks downfield - still nothing is open... so then he makes a very quick and very smart decision not to throw it up but to try and use his blockers to make a play with his legs and then even though he knows he is short of a first he makes another smart decision to slide before getting hit. That isn't a Johnny Manziel play in any way. Even a Manziel in college play, let alone a Manziel in the pros.

As I say, it is lazy analysis. It is "they both sometimes run around" therefore their games are the same. The only one there that I consider a bit of a playground play is the last one.

Manziel will get another shot somewhere (even if not in Cleveland) to prove me wrong I am sure. However, if he fails we should be clear it is because his game fails.... no excuses about alcoholism should be offered.

Actually I think those plays prove exactly the point I am making, indeed the first link was one of the plays I had in my mind. He stands in the pocket, he looks downfield, there is nobody open. At 00:04 of the video the pocket begins to collapse and he escapes. He gets away from a tackler and at the first possible opportunity at 00:09 he sets his feet and looks downfield for a target - still nobody is open. He escapes again but yet again at 00:13 he sets and looks downfield - still nothing is open... so then he makes a very quick and very smart decision not to throw it up but to try and use his blockers to make a play with his legs and then even though he knows he is short of a first he makes another smart decision to slide before getting hit. That isn't a Johnny Manziel play in any way. Even a Manziel in college play, let alone a Manziel in the pros.

As I say, it is lazy analysis. It is "they both sometimes run around" therefore their games are the same. The only one there that I consider a bit of a playground play is the last one.

Manziel will get another shot somewhere (even if not in Cleveland) to prove me wrong I am sure. However, if he fails we should be clear it is because his game fails.... no excuses about alcoholism should be offered.

This is virtually the same thing, eyes down field, throwing on the run to his WR. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000385551/Q2-Manziel-scramble-and-pass-for-27-yards

Goes threw two reads in the pocket, then makes a very smart and quick decision to use his blockers to make a play with his legs, then dives for the TD. http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Johnny-Manziel-Scores-His-First-Career-TD/6fe03795-aae2-4d7c-b25d-658afe0ea694

Like I said, I don't think he's as adept as Wilson, but there are some similarities. He definitely has had some "one read, then takes off," plays, but Russel has some of those as well. He doesn't go through 5 reads every time he scrambles.

Johnny Manziel has more similarities to Wilson's game than any other QB in the NFL. Except maybe Kaep, but I don't watch much of him.

The decision against the Bills was first read then run. The one against the Bears was pre-season for a start and do you want to know the difference? Even though he makes a completion he never sets his feet, his bodyweight is wrong, his balance is wrong. That is why I say what Manziel is doing is playground football and what Wilson is doing is laying Quarterback.

Kaepernick is a better comparison definitely and he is actually the NFL Quarterback I find myself most conflicted on. As a Quarterback I don't like his mechanics, I don't like his vision..... I don't like that he basically has a fastball and that's it. However, his physical gifts are something else... if Manziel was built like Kaepernick I'd give him a better shot of making it I suppose.

The decision against the Bills was first read then run. The one against the Bears was pre-season for a start and do you want to know the difference? Even though he makes a completion he never sets his feet, his bodyweight is wrong, his balance is wrong. That is why I say what Manziel is doing is playground football and what Wilson is doing is laying Quarterback.

Kaepernick is a better comparison definitely and he is actually the NFL Quarterback I find myself most conflicted on. As a Quarterback I don't like his mechanics, I don't like his vision..... I don't like that he basically has a fastball and that's it. However, his physical gifts are something else... if Manziel was built like Kaepernick I'd give him a better shot of making it I suppose.

To the bolded, he looks at the far right of the field, then left, then moves past the LOS. It looked like he was reading the TE.

I can't comment on JM's mechanics, but when I say "game," I mean the plays the make, and not necessarily the nitty gritty. The best comparison I can come up with is that I could see Manziel and Wilson making similar plays. I know you'll never see Flacco running in circles in the backfield regularly.

Personally, I think he needs to bulk up and sacrifice a little speed. It's not like he has world class speed anyway.

This is virtually the same thing, eyes down field, throwing on the run to his WR. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000385551/Q2-Manziel-scramble-and-pass-for-27-yards

Goes threw two reads in the pocket, then makes a very smart and quick decision to use his blockers to make a play with his legs, then dives for the TD. http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Johnny-Manziel-Scores-His-First-Career-TD/6fe03795-aae2-4d7c-b25d-658afe0ea694

Like I said, I don't think he's as adept as Wilson, but there are some similarities. He definitely has had some "one read, then takes off," plays, but Russel has some of those as well. He doesn't go through 5 reads every time he scrambles.

Johnny Manziel has more similarities to Wilson's game than any other QB in the NFL. Except maybe Kaep, but I don't watch much of him.

Romo and Rodgers are closer to Wilson's style than Manziel. They can both scramble really well but they can also actually play QB unlike JM making them more similar. Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

• 2 months later...

Potential for little to no cost?

Seriously, what potential did you see in Manziel? He made his living and reputation in college running around and throwing high passes that his 6'5" 1st round pick WR Mike Evans bailed him out on. Gimmicky offense that allows decent college QBs to put up great numbers. Then in the NFL, we'll surely you couldn't have seen potential in any of his games - could you?

It wasn't the case of a highly talented kid got derailed by alcohol, but rather a mediocre talent didn't work hard and was also undermined by alcohol. If he has cleaned up his partying, he is still a backup at best in the NFL. He is NOT anything like Russell Wilson or even close to what Doug Flutie was.